Grandpa's new project

BigC

Thank you again guys for your ever so kind comments...Specifically about the cork...I'm pleased that I was able to contribute something to the forum (although it must have been done in the past)... especially looking at some great builds and photos over this past week..(yeah I may not have posted but I sure as well have been lurking lol) wormwoodz Beacon Hill really really impressed me (I am not worthy)...such attention to detail and opulence..I shouldn't be in the same room as these people...Impressive is too fine a word for that. That said maybe we will see a whole lot of cork being used for brickwork in the future lol

I dont see my house as anything special..it totally amazes me as to how many views this thread has obtained from such a greenhorn..I feel humbled and embarrassed to a degree. The build is scratch, pretty stark, straight up and down building with lots of schoolboy errors,but yet has drawn such interest (4000+ views)...I thank you all for helping and offering assistance...unbelievable really ...you all have been exceptionally supportive on my journey so far. All is not finished as you all well know and many more questions need an answer...Its good to know that you all will be there as and when....

So here is another conundrum...for the windows...do I paint them all the one colour?....outside frames and the inner sashes themselves (see pic) or do I differentiate between the two with subtle colour change...I have two colours of off white at my disposal...do I use both or make them all the same?

Thanks again for you assistance

Regards C

1.jpg

I would paint them all one color on the exterior. I'm afraid a two-tone, even a subtle rendition, might create a blotchy effect on an otherwise serene, cohesive facade.

You may want to do a different color (or stain) on the interior, just as in a real house.

15 minutes ago, KathieB said:

I would paint them all one color on the exterior. I'm afraid a two-tone, even a subtle rendition, might create a blotchy effect on an otherwise serene, cohesive facade.

You may want to do a different color (or stain) on the interior, just as in a real house.

7 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

With such elegant pediments & corbels (are those the right terms?) for the frames I think one shade of color for the whole shebang is the way to go.

Thanks again guys.."White Clay" it is then. :)

White Clay sml.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sable said:

What sheen is that paint? We tend to recommend a satin finish. 

Its a Flat Matt Emulsion,  Sable, but I will be going over certain parts with a soft sheen water based clear varnish when I near the end...(which is a long way off yet :) )

Incidentally...should I use the same rule of thumb when painting the door surround as you recommend for the window frames??  This may be stone back in the day...I have an Alabaster colour of the same make which I could use....any thoughts?

Regards C

1 hour ago, BigC said:

should I use the same rule of thumb when painting the door surround as you recommend for the window frames??

I would use the same color for the door surround. Have you thought about what color you might use for the door itself? It will make quite a statement in that lovely facade. Red? Black? Dark green? Stained? I don't know if this style of house calls for a particular "front door" color.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

I would use the same color for the door surround. Have you thought about what color you might use for the door itself? It will make quite a statement in that lovely facade. Red? Black? Dark green? Stained? I don't know if this style of house calls for a particular "front door" color

Thanks Kathie,

The door colour will be (Farrow and Ball "Studio Green") a really rich looking dark green...almost into a black.......I saw it when fitting a mansion house out in Jersey (Channel Islands) The guy had it on internal skirting boards and it looked very effective, so much so I fell in love with it straight away....So I will incorporate it into this build....I hope it looks ok with the rest of the house as I'm a long way away from being a designer lol

Regards C

studio green.jpg

34 minutes ago, BigC said:

The door colour will be (Farrow and Ball "Studio Green") a really rich looking dark green...almost into a black..

That will be a very elegant detail! :clap: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

The contrasting door will make a statement, especially once the fittings are on it.  Will the door have a mail slot, or will a post box hang on the wall?

Thanks Holly.

Hopefully it will look fine.

The plan for the door furniture is to have a brass knocker at the top followed by a brass knob handle just above a brass letterbox (I want one with lettering on it)...not sure about door numbers may leave that for a pillar wall post (with railings)

Regards C

Just a little tip to share with you all..you probably already know this but I'll share it nonetheless...

Remember when I purchased the drainpipe components a few weeks back, they were too large... so I fashioned my own. I asked the vendor how she got the look of real lead on her sales image pipework and she relayed to me that after painting with deep grey paint, she rubbed soft pencil lead dust (I used a 10B) over the piece....Curious... I tried her methodology this evening, first heavily rubbing the soft pencil onto a sheet of paper to make the dust, rubbing my finger over this to transfer it and finally highlighting areas on the hopper by simply rubbing my finger into those areas..... to my surprise, it really does work.....giving the hopper a more realistic feel/look, complete with dull and shiny areas..I think it looks really well, what do you guys think?...

Regards C

Lead finish.jpg

• Like 1

FYI- you are probably going to run out of space to post photos directly to posts. Go to My Attachments to see how much more room you have left. You can always delete some photos in that section to give you more space.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sable said:

FYI- you are probably going to run out of space to post photos directly to posts. Go to My Attachments to see how much more room you have left. You can always delete some photos in that section to give you more space.

I've used 68% Sable, (Holly also mentioned this a while back)...so still got a little way to go yet...I have an album started but dont want to bore people with multiple uploads...I condense the image files  as much as I can for the web from the originals, that's why I can get away with things on forums to a point...after which I usually start a "pt2" thread which seems to work with a reference link to "pt1" as a footnote within...now wither that works on this Invasion php board I dont know............

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

Great tip-thanks big guy

Not a problem Keith...If I find something worth sharing I will always do so...I thought this was really cool idea... probably a natural choice but not obvious. (to me anyway :) )

Regards C

7 hours ago, BigC said:

now wither that works on this Invasion php board I dont know.

It won't work. All photos posted are included in the count. When you hit the limit, that's it. Starting a new thread won't let you include any more photos.

7 hours ago, BigC said:

I have an album started but dont want to bore people with multiple uploads

This is misplaced concern, Colin. Actually, we'd prefer to have all of the photos in one album so we can scroll through to watch your progress and not have to dig through long message threads to find the photos. And bore us? You couldn't accomplish that if you tried!! :D 

• Like 3

What a brilliant technique!  You've done a great job on your drainpipe components.  I knew you could do it!  And bored?  No!  Another nice thing about an album is that, if I've somehow missed a new picture when it's posted, I'll generally see it when scrolling around in the album at a later date.

• Like 1

OK I get all of this...This evening whilst trying to upload images or a image to be precise, I got so far on many attempts and the computer just went into hang mode..I tried on four occasions...4 white screens later I just gave up, but will try again later today...I will carry on with this thread though If I may...as the front facade is the only thing I'm interested in at the moment....Regards C

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Colin, it's quite appropriate to continue on with the entire build right here in this topic, where everyone can find it.   Finding your album of this build is as simple as clicking on your avatar.

Or he can link the current gallery photo here.

On 1/30/2018, 5:04:55, Sable said:

Or he can link the current gallery photo here.

Seems pretty reasonable....I will carry on with this as is, whilst playing gallery catch up... then make the transition via gallery linkage.

Regards C