Grandpa's new project

BigC

Hi..I'm new to the forum and reside in Ireland...Thinking it was a good idea to start building a dolls house from scratch for my new grand-daughter to maybe cherish in years to come. I'm not bad with the old DIY skills so once I get my head around the scale of these things I might be fine (he says lol).. I'm planning to build a 1/12 scale house loosely adhering to Georgian style architecture and at the minute all the plans are in my head.....I have purchased some 9mm MDF for the walls etc and a few oddments like a front door, an internal door and a front sash window...just for measurements, although I'm not happy with the front door as a blind man on a foggy night could have built it better (mullions are all askew etc) so may return it..I was going to try and align it all square again but I'd probably be better just having it replaced altogether. Anyway as a new member to the forum I hope I can gleen some informative replies to the many questions I'm sure to have.....and I look forward to many conversations in the future...Regards C 

• Like 4

Welcome to the little family, Colin.  As Joanne says, you are beginning to tread a primrose path that could well lead into more & more house & the goodies with which to fill them.  As one who makes new doors & windows for the house kits I build, by all means return that badly made door and make a proper one.  The first dollhouse the hubs and I built for our first granddaughter we used a sheet of 3/8" plywood.  We did buy and use one purchased front door, but left off the windows; she and her little cousins had their hands through those window openings to play as soon as they clustered around the house.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beulah said:

Welcome to the forum Colin.  We are so glad to have you.  My first dollhouse was for my granddaughter also.  The things those little girls get us into lol

Thank you Beulah for the warm welcome...This is pretty much a minefield for me at the minute as I get to grips with the outside and the facades etc both scale and fixings...Internally I have no plans as such, yet...nor need anything else clouding my mind until the externals is complete....I know this will take some time and a labour of love...What I do have is all my DIY tools and my trusty scrollsaw which I'm sure will come in very useful in the time ahead.

fb ax.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Colin.  As Joanne says, you are beginning to tread a primrose path that could well lead into more & more house & the goodies with which to fill them.  As one who makes new doors & windows for the house kits I build, by all means return that badly made door and make a proper one.  The first dollhouse the hubs and I built for our first granddaughter we used a sheet of 3/8" plywood.  We did buy and use one purchased front door, but left off the windows; she and her little cousins had their hands through those window openings to play as soon as they clustered around the house.

Thank you also for the warm welcome....Yes I can see this mushrooming given half the chance...I started out with a basic idea and now I'm setting my sights a little higher hopefully I can bring the bare bones to fruition in the near future....I think I will return the door....To be fair to the seller (Ebay) he did mention that it was a value door (wood) but I wasn't prepared for the lack of a decent standard....if I fitted it ...it would always be catching my eye...see what you think from the image...the first mullion is askew and the side mini pillars are out of alignment....not good....In my estimation....is this normal in the minature world or am I correct in thinking I should expect a little better..See image and comment on what I should do 

bad door sml.jpg

52 minutes ago, BigC said:

Thank you also for the warm welcome....Yes I can see this mushrooming given half the chance...I started out with a basic idea and now I'm setting my sights a little higher hopefully I can bring the bare bones to fruition in the near future....I think I will return the door....To be fair to the seller (Ebay) he did mention that it was a value door (wood) but I wasn't prepared for the lack of a decent standard....if I fitted it ...it would always be catching my eye...see what you think from the image...the first mullion is askew and the side mini pillars are out of alignment....not good....In my estimation....is this normal in the minature world or am I correct in thinking I should expect a little better..See image and comment on what I should do 

bad door sml.jpg

I agree, it is off. Best return it and get a new one. 

• Like 2

Welcome Colin. You have a keen eye. I am fairly new to this hobby, and I have found you do get better quality on certain names with higher prices.

My house is crooked/ charming in every aspect. It drives my husband crazy because he is a cabinet maker and finish worker by trade. I am always in awe of people who can do such clean precise work!

• Like 1

Has anyone bought this book....I like the Georgian build and could elaborate upon it...I imagine it would give me a little idea of what I'm getting myself into and of scale/measurments etc..Seeing as its my first house it may arm me with a little basic information

If any one has this in their collection could you please comment and give me some insight as what to expect...its pretty cheap second hand and it may be what I'm looking for as a beginner.

Regards

C

51C2yIaEhCL._SX361_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

47 minutes ago, BigC said:

Has anyone bought this book....I like the Georgian build and could elaborate upon it...I imagine it would give me a little idea of what I'm getting myself into and of scale/measurments etc..Seeing as its my first house it may arm me with a little basic information

If any one has this in their collection could you please comment and give me some insight as what to expect...its pretty cheap second hand and it may be what I'm looking for as a beginner.

Regards

C

It offers plans so I’d buy it. Attached are some reviews:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/making-dolls-houses-in-112-scale-a-david--charles-craft-book_brian-nickolls/905771/?mkwid=sa9sFe07d%7cdm&pcrid=70112899992&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9MX3x5bx1wIVEVcNCh1SQgffEAQYASABEgKpp_D_BwE#isbn=0715398482&idiq=8155217

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Colin re your doo,I just noticed . it is part of the Wonham collection they are supposed to be a good  , most of their miniatures are a bit more than most over there..It must have been a second

I guess it is or must have been Jeannine.. I think I might exchange it for something less extravagant so long as the lines are straight

Well I just clicked the "Buy Now" button and purchased the following used but in very good condition books..I hope they help in my initial quest and thirst for information and plans

all for under £10 now that cant be bad...

28deaa1136c3cd59f7033bb0df891981--making-books-miniature-tutorials.jpg

517MWPA89AL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Is that the terminology for someone who builds their own from raw materials....?? I'm torn between two worlds mostly to err on the scratch side but would maybe buy one small kit without the basement etc just to see the principals, scales and cutting (mainly of the roof components) maybe these books will offer up some answers...anyone know of any great links on roof construction plans(not finishing with slates etc) just general construction..I'm really interested in this area of the facade and how it either is cut at the time of building the sides etc or is a separate entity and lifts up away entirely from the main box structure and the way it sits on the structure and by what means...Regards C

4 hours ago, BigC said:

Is that the terminology for someone who builds their own from raw materials....?? I'm torn between two worlds mostly to err on the scratch side but would maybe buy one small kit without the basement etc just to see the principals, scales and cutting (mainly of the roof components) maybe these books will offer up some answers...anyone know of any great links on roof construction plans(not finishing with slates etc) just general construction..I'm really interested in this area of the facade and how it either is cut at the time of building the sides etc or is a separate entity and lifts up away entirely from the main box structure and the way it sits on the structure and by what means...Regards C

Yes, several of our members are very talented scratch builders.  The tab & lot kits' roof pieces have slots that fit onto tabs along the tops of the exterior walls.  If you were to make a full roof you wouldn't do that with the half you want to have be lifted for attic access, and you'd want something like a long piano hinge for under the peak and some device to hold it open whilst the granddaughter plays with it.  I've been now to cut pieces of card for making roofs (like a porch roof I had to cobble together for the missing porch from a rescue house I had to rebuild totally:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=browse&album=1103).  Once you have dry fit your exterior walls & foors you can make your roof templates.

• Like 1