Grandpa's new project

BigC

Yeah thanks guys for your input, twas my line of thinking also...I'll save them for the middle floor (to better effect)...I have gotten measurements for 9 pane frames online and these seem to work out better for both the lower and the upper floors to keep things in proportion..(all windows being 93mm wide so they should all line through nicely)..Apologies for all the newbie dumbass questions folks..this is all new to me but if your eye is telling you there is something not quite right then its best to ask :)  Thanks for your time in replying to my muses it is appreciated.

Regards

C

7 minutes ago, Sable said:

You’ll never be able to put kitchen cabinets or appliances up against those tall windows.  

You have a point there Sable :) Its all harder than it looks this dolls house building malarkey...proportions really do matter lol

Edited by BigC

19 minutes ago, BigC said:

...Apologies for all the newbie dumbass questions folks..this is all new to me but if your eye is telling you there is something not quite right then its best to ask...

The only dumbass question is the one you don't ask, when you don't now the answer; none of this tuff is intuitive, you know.

• Like 1

So True havanaholly,,,,,,,OK I've ordered a 9 pane Georgian window, that will allow me to cut all the openings on the facade except the roof, which I hope to complete next weekend. I still need more windows but I have the sizes now and will order them after Christmas Holidays as the postal service is manic this time of year.

Ok people I'm still on a steep learning curve here and I need your HELP..I was thinking that every manufacturers 1/12 scale would be the same...apparently not so, especially when we are talking windows. Please study the image below...the Georg. bars are much thicker on the 9 pane unit...

I really like the Georgian working sash windows that I bought originally but the problem was that they dont look quite right (size) when positioned astride the door, they look too big...So I decided to place them on the second floor and perhaps the third.

That said I purchased a 9 pane Georgian window from a different company for the downstairs....turns out that this dont match in with the opening sash...Now it does look ok astride the door but if I were to install these the I would have to forgo the nice feature opening sash windows above

Should I have perhaps ordered all my windows from the same company in the hope that all their 1/12 scale Georgian windows will be made to a similar template

Can someone advise what to do

On the plus side my second hand books arrived today and at first glance they are worth every penny and are in superb condition...1x Hardback and 2 Paperback books for under £10..well pleased...I will probably not consider buying brand new books again...

C

small comparison.jpg

Edited by BigC

I think the window you had originally planned to use looked a bit big to me  for the size of the wall, but it was very close to the door , in another location it may be fine.. I can't tell about the new one  unless it are placed the same way by the door.

• Like 1

I only buy windows from the same manufacturer. This is a well known US dollhouse company and I really like their windows and doors.

https://www.realgoodtoys.com/collections/windows-shutters

I used their Queen Ann windows for my Georgian house

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=gallery&module=gallery&controller=view&id=101097

• Like 1

Colin, unless you decide to make all of your windows yourself, ask the various suppliers if they make ALL of their 1:12 components to a single standard.  Considering that many dealers have their components manufactured "overseas" in unnamed countries, there may be no guarantee.of uniformity.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I knew I could depend on you for a solid reliable and forthright answer....I will source products from the one company and see if the come in the same or close to my original opening sash .

Thank you Sable also for providing me with some links

and to Holly & Jeannine you always provide words of wisdom, many thanks

I have contacted the supplier from whence I purchased the opening sash and he says that he has a window to match (so here's hoping). I have ordered  one with a view of ordering more although he is very expensive on the postage side.. so we shall see what comes about once it arrives....

thanks again

Regards 

C

Note the image below especially the first floor block or render work (straight lines)

What would be the best way to tackle this

a. use a small router and run grooves ie. parallel lines

b. use pieces of stripwood

Regards

C

town.jpg

Unless you have a very steady hand or tool that will allow you to be very straight and evenly spaced I would suggest the strip wood route. You will get even spacing and straight lines without much effort. :) 

If you were working in wood and not MDF I would suggest steel straight edge/ carpenter's square and a scribing tool.  If weight is not a concern you could use thin wood, or if you have access to flat sheets of paper mache or card, you could cut your blocks from that and glue them on (priming the wood the color of grout).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigC said:

b. use pieces of stripwood

Think about what Holly said about using mat board or heavy cardstock instead of stripwood. When painted, nobody will be able to tell the difference.

• Like 1

Wow...brilliant replies...food for thought...my original plan was to use the Dremel setting the depth gauge and score into the mdf..but wasn't sure how this would look using mdf. Do you think this would work??....The weight is not a problem..do I need the relief proud of the mdf? possibly...card or stripwood would work very well.

as I said great replies not only endemic to this particular scenario. Using some test/practice pieces of the suggestions offered may be the way forward...thank you all for taking the time to comment

Regards

C

90339802_21237891.jpg

Well armed with some more recently purchased 9 and 6mm mdf plus stripwood trims etc. I'm hoping to crack on with the outside of this Georgian Townhouse project over the weekend, if I can get the roof done and the front facade started I'll be a very happy chappie given all the other family household chores that seem to get in the way hahahaha...wish me luck :) 

Yup Sable heading towards 5am now...I came home from work tired last night after working for 12 hours....went to bed after a bite to eat and fell asleep around 8pm now I'm awake and bright as a button lol....I didn't get any work done on the dolls house as I intended so now I mean to play catchup hahahaha

Well today I got a great deal done, not as much as I would have liked but made progress nonetheless...I got the roof surround finished and made a start on the front facade..(which I'm really pleased with)..I made the block-work lines with the Dremel tool..they look amazing...Pic to follow as I'm waiting on the glue to dry on a length of mdf added to the frontage.

I cant explain how happy I am with the story so far, its perhaps not as good as some professional folk around here but it looks well, and even though its my first build, I have a good feeling about this, so much so that my wife has asked can she have it...now that's some appraisal I can tell you hahahaha

I'm still not sure if I want to section the front and use brass double cranked hinges (traditional method) or affix with magnets..I'm kinda old skool 

I am currently cutting and chamfering Quoin stones from mdf...and adding roof support corbels....whistle while we work :)

Will post some images shortly

Regards

C