Dry Fitting Laser Cut - Necessary or Not?

Vera Cat

Hi!  I just received my half scale Diana kit, which is laser cut.  My research indicates that die cut dollhouses should always be dry fit, but I haven't been able to really find anything about laser cut houses.  Any advice?  Should I dry fit my Diana before assembling?  The instructions mention nada on the subject ... and also say to use hot glue which seems to be incorrect :)   Thank you!!!  

Edited by Vera Cat
  • Like 1

I think it's always a good idea to dry fit--it gives you a clearer sense of how the house goes together (before you've glued anything) and will help you determine spots that may be difficult to reach once the house is complete, so you know what you might need to decorate as you're building.  This is especially true for half scale!

• Like 2

Just now, Vera Cat said:

What do you use to hold the half scale dollhouse together as you dry fit?

I use blue painter's tape.  It holds quite well (has even held some quote thick wood) but is easy to remove once you're done.  I follow the instructions for putting the main walls together, in order; I just tape instead of gluing.

• Like 1

Maybe some hobby clamps just in case....I ran into problems where the wood was warped. I don't know what the laser kits are like compared to the standard kits as far as warping goes, but I get a lot of use from my clamps for other mini-things as well.

• Like 1

I agree with what Deb said - dry fitting is more than seeing if the parts fit.  It is very useful for figuring out how the parts of the kit are assembled and can stop mistakes like putting in floors or walls upside down or front side to the back.  Anyway, I can't wait to get a dry fit together to see what size the rooms are and put in some furniture in and start thinking about decorations!

2 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Maybe some hobby clamps just in case....I ran into problems where the wood was warped. I don't know what the laser kits are like compared to the standard kits as far as warping goes, but I get a lot of use from my clamps for other mini-things as well.

Any wood will warp, and can be due to how it is stored or temperature and moisture changes. 

Sealing the cut edges with glue or a primer or sealant can help the edges stick better when you glue it together.

2 minutes ago, shannonc60 said:

Sealing the cut edges with glue or a primer or sealant can help the edges stick better when you glue it together.

That depends on what kind of glue you are using. Wood glue works best adhering raw wood to raw wood. 

The charred edges can be easily cleaned with a light swipe of sandpaper or an emery board.

My 1:24 Lighthouse kit was laser cut and I most definitely dry fit it to see how it went together.  I always dry fit die cut kits to adjust the tabs & slots for a more perfect fit, which laser cutting seems to have eliminated the need for, but I am a tactile learner, so the dry fit helps me figure out the instructions nd once the basic shell is together I can determine where I shall have to decorate before assembly with glue.  I also find that dry fitting will initiate a conversation with the kit to find out what it wants to be and how it wants to look.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

Any wood will warp, and can be due to how it is stored or temperature and moisture changes. 

I am aware that any wood can warp....I should have said that the die cut method seems to be hard on the wood. Especially when it is difficult to release from the sheet, even though the actual sheet seems flat, the pieces don't always lay flat after they have been released. I was recommending some clamps just in case she runs into the same problem.

• Like 1