Meet my special family

Thimble Hall

You guys are making me feel bad as mine are not rescue dogs, they are pure bred registered ones...but in my defense I have done a fair bit of rescuing over my life.

This time I had been dogless for some time and wanted a very tiny animal that I could pick up etc, as my strength and mobility was going fast so I needed to make a sensible choice for size so I picked Chihuahuas. They weren't my first choice but size mattered. I chose to go to a very good known show kennel as I has seen some cross Chihuhuas that had turned into 20 pound dogs, in fact my daughter has one crossed with a Dachshund and it is 23 pounds..  Mine as it turned out  are a bit overweight but are small enough for me to handle.They may be small in stature but they don't know that, and they have huge big hearts. and it was the right thing for me.

5 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

You guys are making me feel bad as mine are not rescue dogs, they are pure bred registered ones...but in my defense I have done a fair bit of rescuing over my life.

Anyone who welcomes an animal (purebred or rescue) into a loving home is OK in my book!  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

Anyone who welcomes an animal (purebred or rescue) into a loving home is OK in my book!  

@Jeannine don't feel bad. I did not mean anything by it at all. If there is a particular breed you love or had as kid and want, get it. My kitten was a gift from my kids, they got him off of Craig's list. (Which many people frown upon) He has filled such an empty spot in my heart. I had a big fat orange tabby that passed away in February. He comforted me through illness and pain. My other cat is just not the cuddly type, she was a stray and probably abused. She is very strange, but we love her nonetheless.

• Like 2

I know, I was just teasing a bit. I used to breed and show  dogs in the Uk  but my favorite dog  of all time who was a mutt that I hand reared due to problems with his doggie Mum  horrible male owner who lived next door. His dog had got pregnant and he vowed he would drown anything over 6 pups, his wife was devastated so when the dog wen into labour shwe took her to my house and whelped her there, My neighbor took her home afterwards with 6 pups, the other 7 stayed with me, I lost one and hand reared 6. Doodle was the smallest and had a disfigured nose , no one wanted her so I kept her and we bonded very tight.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I know, I was just teasing a bit. I used to breed and show  dogs in the Uk  but my favorite dog  of all time who was a mutt that I hand reared due to problems with his doggie Mum  horrible male owner who lived next door. His dog had got pregnant and he vowed he would drown anything over 6 pups, his wife was devastated so when the dog wen into labour shwe took her to my house and whelped her there, My neighbor took her home afterwards with 6 pups, the other 7 stayed with me, I lost one and hand reared 6. Doodle was the smallest and had a disfigured nose , no one wanted her so I kept her and we bonded very tight.

What a great story that had to be a lot of work. I did that for two found kittens BUT you did it for 6. Congrats on winning the patience medal . 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeannine said:

They may be small in stature but they don't know that, and they have huge big hearts.

I used to foster chihuahuas and had three of my own. The tiniest one was Ruby, who weighed a pound after supper. I was living in a house on a farm. Cattle wandered around outside the fence on all four sides. Cows being the original stealth animal, I didn't realize there were some in the area when I let the dogs out one afternoon. Ruby spotted them, and before I could grab her, she was away across the yard like a streak and under the fence, barking her fool head off. The cows looked at her with their big cow eyes, and ("stupid as a cow" being more than just a saying) they ambled off down the road. She chased them a good bit, until they were out of sight around a curve. She came prancing back, tail held high, as if to say, "Damn! If I don't put those cows in their place, nobody else will!" After that, I was careful to check for cows before letting the dogs out.

Nell, it is a lot of work every 2 hours all through the night but it wasn't as hard as the barn swallows I raised from tiny naked bundles to ready for flight. I have some pictures of those somewhere

Kathie that  is priceless I can just picture it, what a pity you didn't have a camera handy.

My Florence was kicking up a fuss one night, she was outside by the basement door, I went to see and she had a raccoon frozen on the stairs and she was just a puppy. I was scared to death but dare not call out in case I made it worse, she kept barking at it and eventually in slow motion it went up one step, she followed about three steps behind, there are 7 steps ,,this repeated until it was on the top then it ran, she went after it but it was gone, I went after her and she was barking at the fence. Maisie was with her about a foot backing her up but stayed behind. They really do not think they are tiny .

I also started checking for wild life after that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Samusa said:

I love seeing everyone's furbabies.. here's mine, Cubbie and Wrigley (yes, my husband is a Chicago Cubs fan :rolleyes:) wearing the rein-dog ears. :D Merry Christmas peoples.

They don't seem very happy to have the antlers on.  C'mon mom, give us the cheese.

• Like 1

Love this thread! Those antlers are too cute. Here's Eddie, one of my boys-- Max was probably too annoyed by Ed's peppiness to be in this picture. :p They and their "sister" George are all bullies from the shelter. Big spoiled babies, the lot of 'em.

large.IMG_3649-.jpg.7819f6432c5ceb12f0fe

• Like 3

On 12/6/2017, 1:01:01, SewMini said:

Here’s a picture of my horse :D

https://flic.kr/p/E5kNqN

Haha.. he/she's great! My Cubbie lacks spatial awareness also.. We call him our close talker. He get's right up in your grille so to speak.. lol And has been know to sit on everyone including his brother Wrigley. :D 

@Beulah You're menagerie of pets is so wonderful.. I too wish I had enough land to have this variety of lovlies. But how do you find time for miniatures.. that lot must keep you very busy! P.S  love the donkey! 

@My Miniature Madness Jodie, your pups are so cute riding on Hubby's back. :D Love them!

@Mid-life madness Carrie your kitty is sooo cute.. I'm with Debs though.. I didn't want the light broken. We all know how touchy they can be. :eek:

I just  love all the pictures of everones furbabies.  My avatar is of my litle yorkie.  Her name is Foxy Lady and she thinks she is every bit of her name!!  I also have currently 6 indoor cats and she will play chase them and they chase her also.  All the cats but one is bigger than her.  Also outside we have about 11 cats that come around every day and some dont leave and we feed and name them all.  Some will let us pet them and some wont but they are here everyday at feeding time - 530 AM and 6 PM.  We currently have one of the cats that comes -she is pregnant and I have her crated right now. I took two dog kennels and put them together and put her litter box in one and on the other side is her food, bed and water.  I have a rescue lady that will take her and the kittens once they are born.  I got lucky in being able to crate her.  I dont like leaving critters crated but this is the only way I know of to keep her and know where she has her babies.  They should be here very soon.  There was another rescue lady that would have taken the pregnant cat but she would have had the kittens aborted and I just couldnt let that happen so I thought this was the best solution.  We were not able to keep her in the house but she is in a well protected area and kept warm.  Please not all the outside cats are feral cats  We also take the females in to get them fixed when we can catch them.  

• Like 2

Love seeing everyone's animals. I grew up with horses and dogs and can't imagine not having animals around. We have 3 dogs right now. Ive never had this many dogs at once and probably wouldn't do it again. Especially with two of them being large breed. There's an interesting dynamic when it's 3 dogs as opposed to 2. They get the pack mentality thing going and it can be challenging. 

Like Jeannine I went to buy a puppy and couldn't choose between two (although all 12 puppies in the litter looked identical) so I have two male Irish Setter/Golden Retrievers, known as GoldenIrish (great breed combo) and a male Brittany who's parents are champion bird dogs. My husband had planned to get back into bird hunting but hasn't (yet) so I ended up with a very hyper (lol) house dog. If you know bird dogs and Brittanys in particular you'll know what I mean...

So this is Scotch, Bourbon playing in the water, Bourbon as a puppy and Barley. 

The two Golden Irish are just over a year old and Barley is just over 2 years old. 

I also have a stray cat, older kitten, that seems to have adopted us. I feel so bad as winter is settling in, I leave the garage door open a little for him/her (don't know which because we can't pick him up) but I don't dare bring him inside with my dogs..I think Barley would lose his mind if I brought a cat in the house. 

IMG_7432.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7426.JPG

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jbresr said:

Please not all the outside cats are feral cats  We also take the females in to get them fixed when we can catch them.  

Yes, we have several groups here that catch then spay and release.

We have domesticated rabbits in our neighborhood. They are now feral and have bread with the wild rabbits. There are a few that hang out in my yard and come to me when I make a kissing sound. They love stale bread and tortillas...LOL I love little critters.

• Like 1

Wrigley had to spend two nights at the vet with a very upset stomach.. think he may have been hunting and eaten something he shouldn't have. Thankfully, he will be alright after two days on a drip and a round of antibiotics.... Interestingly the Vet thinks that he is part Greyhound which would explain his high prey drive.... Mmmm.. lets not talk about the bill :eek:.. There goes my mini budget for the foreseeable future. Of course he is worth every penny. :D 

@WyckedWood your doggies are lovely... sooo cute! Incidentally, I was online shopping at Mountain Miniatures for something else, but I always check out the animal section.... I saw this and thought of your Barley. :D 

https://www.mountainminiatures.com/zach-the-brittany-1-12-scale.html

1 minute ago, L Swearengin said:

Couple of weeks ago we had to send our beloved Bassett to the rainbow bridge.   Yesterday the mail we received a sympathy card from our new Vet. Whole office signed and they added Miss Belle's paw print on the card.    Yes I cried

Awww... :( So sad, Lawanda. So sorry for the loss of your beloved Basset.. Our vet sends sympathy cards too.. it's a lovely gesture. 

On December 8, 2017 at 7:51:15 AM, WyckedWood said:

Love seeing everyone's animals. I grew up with horses and dogs and can't imagine not having animals around. We have 3 dogs right now. Ive never had this many dogs at once and probably wouldn't do it again. Especially with two of them being large breed. There's an interesting dynamic when it's 3 dogs as opposed to 2. They get the pack mentality thing going and it can be challenging. 

Like Jeannine I went to buy a puppy and couldn't choose between two (although all 12 puppies in the litter looked identical) so I have two male Irish Setter/Golden Retrievers, known as GoldenIrish (great breed combo) and a male Brittany who's parents are champion bird dogs. My husband had planned to get back into bird hunting but hasn't (yet) so I ended up with a very hyper (lol) house dog. If you know bird dogs and Brittanys in particular you'll know what I mean...

So this is Scotch, Bourbon playing in the water, Bourbon as a puppy and Barley. 

The two Golden Irish are just over a year old and Barley is just over 2 years old. 

I also have a stray cat, older kitten, that seems to have adopted us. I feel so bad as winter is settling in, I leave the garage door open a little for him/her (don't know which because we can't pick him up) but I don't dare bring him inside with my dogs..I think Barley would lose his mind if I brought a cat in the house. 

IMG_7432.JPG

IMG_7427.JPG

IMG_7429.JPG

IMG_7426.JPG

Really Beautiful dogs They look like a lot of fun

• Like 1

3 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Couple of weeks ago we had to send our beloved Bassett to the rainbow bridge.   Yesterday the mail we received a sympathy card from our new Vet. Whole office signed and they added Miss Belle's paw print on the card.    Yes I cried

3 hours ago, L Swearengin said:

Previous Vet never did.  We couldn't save our granddog.  She was full of cancer and had stopped eating.

I'm so sorry to hear about you're Bassett the are such a part of the family I know it can be a great loss.

• Like 1