new here

WolfBane

Hi everyone :)

My name is Dave  and  this is  my  first  time  constructing a doll house  :0

i look forward  to  meeting each of  you on here  and maybe becoming good friends . i live  in the maritimes  but  am american  etc etc :)

i am  building  the the  orchid dollhouse  but  will want to  build  the  biggest  house i can  find :)

• Like 2

Welcome to the little family, Dave.  Where in the Maritimes?  When we retired the hubs & I spent a month touring Quebec and New Brunswick, but the time we'd set aside to visit the Maritimes was spent in Moncton whilst the Atlantic time zone got slammed by Hurricane Ivan.  The biggest kit I know of is Greenleaf's Garfield.

• Like 2

:wave:Welcome to our little family Dave! :chat:

My first foray into  the world of miniatures was a huge Victorian that quickly became overwhelming!  You are smart to start a little smaller and learn the ropes before pursuing your dream house!  Good luck- have fun- and we will look forward to watching your progress.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Dave.  Where in the Maritimes?  When we retired the hubs & I spent a month touring Quebec and New Brunswick, but the time we'd set aside to visit the Maritimes was spent in Moncton whilst the Atlantic time zone got slammed by Hurricane Ivan.  The biggest kit I know of is Greenleaf's Garfield.

Very nice to meet  you  Jeannine :0

i live in a small  town called  Richibucto , mmm between moncton and miramichi .. and  thankyou  for the  garfeild i will look into it  , or  i might  just  build  a  house out  of my head lol :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jbnmini said:

My first foray into  the world of miniatures was a huge Victorian that quickly became overwhelming!  You are smart to start a little smaller and learn the ropes before pursuing your dream house!  Good luck- have fun- and we will look forward to watching your progress.

It is  very  nice to meet  :)

and  yes    i am learning   alot  about these  houses  etc etc 

i pretty  much have all i need to build and air brush  and  wire   etc etc ,  but  my  only  problem  so far is my OCD lol 

i want  every piece of  wood to be smooth and  square  and  primed and  then  air  bushed etc etc 

lol gonna  drive m  crazy some i think :0

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jbnmini said:

hi Jackie  if  i may call you  Jackie?

i  am really  enjoying   working  with my hands   so  i find this  habby very   fun , lol i can't imagine starting out  with  such a  big  kit lol

but   i am learning  alot  with this  first  kit  and  amd  looking  forwards  to my next   house weather  it  be a   kit  or   just out of my head :0

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MiniMaven said:

Welcome! Can't wait to hear about your progress on the Orchid!

Awww thankyou  for the  warm welcome :)

i am  doing  ok so  far  on my  first build ever , i am in the  process of  buying some tools , ie: 9 inch band  saw  and  a  4 inch   table  saw  , i pretty  much  have  all the other  tools i need , air brush , tons of  paints , extra  wood  , wallpaper, copper  tape  , lights  etc etc 

i have  to admit i never  knew  these houses  could  get so detailed :)

P.S. i will  take  a look  at  your  buss. for  future items i might  need :)

Again thankyou  for the  kind and warm welcome :)

Edited by WolfBane
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, WolfBane said:

Very nice to meet  you  Jeannine :0

i live in a small  town called  Richibucto , mmm between moncton and miramichi .. and  thankyou  for the  garfeild i will look into it  , or  i might  just  build  a  house out  of my head lol :)

I'm holly, not Jeannine; she lives near Vancouver and I live in southwest Alabama.  I have built the Orchid twice, once in wood and once in plastic.

• Like 1

Welcome Dave , this is a great place to learn and a fun place to share . I look forward to seeing your Orchard I have one under the bed waiting in line to be made . Really looking forward to seeing the big build . I like small builds so I can decorate in a color and style and then onto the next one in a different color and style . 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I'm holly, not Jeannine; she lives near Vancouver and I live in southwest Alabama.  I have built the Orchid twice, once in wood and once in plastic.

my apologies holly, lol still trying to  understand this  forum stuff :0

and wich did you like better the wood or plastic please?

17 minutes ago, NellBell said:

Welcome Dave , this is a great place to learn and a fun place to share . I look forward to seeing your Orchard I have one under the bed waiting in line to be made . Really looking forward to seeing the big build . I like small builds so I can decorate in a color and style and then onto the next one in a different color and style . 

aww  hi  nell :0

it  is very  nice to meet you as well:)

please forgive  my spelling  and  such , i am  not the best  at  grammer .

i am having  alot of fun  with myu first  build here , seems like i should  take  some pics  huh ?

lol and yes  i  am looking forwardto  building  something  alot  bigger in the  future:)

Dave don't worry about your spelling . I can spell I just can't type so it always look wrong..  You sound like me , very picky wanting every piece of wood to be square. I am deadly picky but am not  nearly good enough  with wood to even half satisfy  my own standards so I just try to have fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, WolfBane said:

I've built a couple of Orchids in wood and. like Holly, also one in plastic. See the wooden ones here:

Orchid #1 - construction

Orchid #1 finished

Orchid #1 - furnishings (Note the hint of a bathroom off the bedroom. I made a false wall for the large center gable so the house would have full plumbing. I wanted what might have been the bathroom as a sewing room. :) )

Orchid #2 - built with my 9-year-old goddaughter. We did a bit of a bash, leaving out the ground floor center wall. We reinforced the ceiling with a support post.

The plastic one was a challenge to find a glue that worked well. The smooth, pearly white surface reminded me of a white mushroom stem, so the house became a take-off on a red-capped mushroom. I like the look of the plastic, but enjoyed working with the wood more, as I like to bash the kit a bit -- make changes to the structure. So far as I know, the plastic version is no longer available. Interestingly, both Holly's and my White Orchid took on a Christmas theme.  The inspiration was the mushroom ornament seen outside the front door. In our family Czech tradition, it is a symbol of good luck. One appeared on our Christmas tree every year. I even changed the interior scale from 1:12 to 1:24 to accommodate some darling little elves and a Santa that I found in a gift shop. The only bashed element was the stairway -- I replaced the ladder with a wall made from contractor's insulation board that incorporated the stairs and an alcove for the wood stove. It also hides the battery pack and wires that operate the lights. See it here:

White Orchid blog 

7 hours ago, WolfBane said:

i am having  a lot of fun  with my first  build here , seems like i should  take  some pics  huh ?

Yes! We love pictures. You have made enough posts that make you eligible to open an album in your Gallery. Click on your profile, then on Albums, and follow the instructions.

11 hours ago, WolfBane said:

Awww  thankyou  for the   the  kind  and warm welcome :)

How  did you like  the  orchid build ?

WEll Dave, the Orchid is perfect to learn on, nice and small.  It gives you an enourmous amount of options as to the type of finish you would like on the outside. Brick, stone, clapboard...... On the other hand I found it very flimsy to work with.  I had built a RGT first which was so solid.  The doors and windows I changed out in the Orchid, as I didn't know how to make them look nicer.  That said I have a Fairfield waiting to be built after my Glenwood.  I know now how to spruce up Greenleaf kits and should enjoy it a lot better.  I must say Greenleaf have a lot more options to choose from that are so much nicer looking.  Just enjoy the progress, 

17 hours ago, WolfBane said:

It's the only plastic house kit I have ever seen, much less built, and the only adhesive I found to work on it was E6000.  I far prefer wood, which can be flattened, trimmed, repaired if damaged and easily bashed.