Torn: Between Finishing my 1:144 Scale Dollhouse Build, Starting my Fairfield or Purchasing a 1:24 RGT As My 1st

Hello,

One thing I forgot completely about in my Introduction is that I have been working on a Micro Dollhouse (1:144" Scale) since 2005. It has been painted, but I still need to cut the wallpaper straighter, and began to assemble it.

I've been thinking about building it first, and then moving on to Purchasing another 1:24 Scale Dollhouse as My first "big" Dollhouse. (The RGT Bungalow seems to be calling to me!)

My only dilemma is that I have owned my Micro Dollhouse for years and have yet to complete it's build. I think I'm stuck as far as motivation or inspiration goes!I

1:144 isn't a very common size for people to build, and I'm more drawn to the half scale than any other at the moment.

Eventually, I know that I want to finish this Micro Dollhouse, and place it in my 1:12 Scale Toy Shoppe, along with all of the "toys" I have collected over the years. I also have been fascinated by the New 1:48 Scale Furniture that has been available lately, and wanted to turn it into furniture for dolls in the store as well.

Here is what I have been seeing most people suggest: Go with the build that you are drawn to, and I know for myself at least the RGT Bungalow is the one calling to me now.

Has anyone built that house? What do you think of it?

Hi Drea! it looks like you are going through the same path that lots of us have been taken over and over again. Before you know it you will have dollhouse kits all over your house, because you will be thinking, planning, wishing faster than your hands can do .lol! call it the dollhouse's syndrome!. But, if you want to move on, you should go with the house that is calling you louder, looks like the Bungalow is a winner. I bought that kit with lots of plans, bought furniture, building stuff, and after 4 years I sold the kit, and I still have must of the stuff I gathered for it. Lets see if your kit will let you walk away or not! Have fun! By the way, which 1:144 scale are you working on? I finished the Pepperwood farm in this scale and I loved it!

• Like 1

I've built it.  I talked a little bit about it in my response to your introductory post.  I have pictures of it in my albums, and I did/do love it.

I think you should go with whatever appeals to you most.  If you don't, you will be itching to work on it, and your heart won't really be in the project you are working on (and it may show).  My Fairfield isn't truly finished yet, because the Merrimack was calling to me so strongly.  (Plus, I just don't think I am a Victorian girl.)  I still go back and work on it a bit when the spirit moves me, but it is truly a joy to work on a house that you love and feel drawn to.

• Like 1

I’ve spent my entire adult life proving my mother wrong when she used to say to me, “You never finish anything you start”. So for me, I have to finish the first project before moving on. There’s a great sense of accomplishment when things are finished.  But you have to go with your heart.

• Like 1

Me too, I have a fair few waiting to be done, it is like collecting the kits themselves is part of the attraction. I have 5 actually in the process , sorry 6 

I think Sable is very lucky to be so sensible with her houses.

I am like this with all my crafts but I do finish them. If I go stale on one thing I switch to another but I always come back and finish things. I find my work suffers if I force myself to do it when I want a change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sable said:

...I have to finish the first project before moving on. There’s a great sense of accomplishment when things are finished.  But you have to go with your heart.

I swear we were separated at birth!  I only build houses that speak to me; if I get a kit that calls my name and then it stops speaking, I find it a new home ASAP.

• Like 1

I am currently working on the RGT Bungalow. Real life has pushed it to the back burner...again, but I hope to finish it early next year. It's a really lovely little house, and if it is calling you by all means get it. They just keep getting louder and louder, and soon you will be unable to work on anything else :D

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017, 12:51:50, minilover62 said:

Hi Drea! it looks like you are going through the same path that lots of us have been taken over and over again. Before you know it you will have dollhouse kits all over your house, because you will be thinking, planning, wishing faster than your hands can do .lol! call it the dollhouse's syndrome!. But, if you want to move on, you should go with the house that is calling you louder, looks like the Bungalow is a winner. I bought that kit with lots of plans, bought furniture, building stuff, and after 4 years I sold the kit, and I still have must of the stuff I gathered for it. Lets see if your kit will let you walk away or not! Have fun! By the way, which 1:144 scale are you working on? I finished the Pepperwood farm in this scale and I loved it!

On 12/8/2017, 12:51:50, minilover62 said:

Actually I guess I have two kits: The Southern Belle and the Victorian Mansion! The Southern Belle is the one that I have been working on since 2005.

Next month I am thinking that I should just go ahead and purchase the RGT Bungalow Kit and start on it. There is a part of me that would LOVE to build and make my own Modern furnishings for this house. It's been said many times that we don't see many Dollhouses filled with Modern decorations, and I think a Bungalow looks like a Craftsman and they are Timeless so it could work!

They are both beautiful! I am going to concentrate now on smaller scales for 2 reasons: eyesight loosing strength, so I want to do this before I absolutely can't anymore, and space. I could build and keep all of my smaller scale houses in 1/4" and 1/144" which sounds amazing!heheh:D

Have fun! 

• Like 1

Thank you. I'm so excited to begin on a 1:24 Scale Dollhouse, because my Bespaq Living Room Furniture just arrived and it is so wee, and adorable. I didn't realize it would be so darn cute! Isn't it funny how something so little can inspire a person to want to dive right in to building. All I have at the moment however is my Fairfield, and after seeing my furniture I'm so tempted to just begin building, if only so I may see how small the rooms are and where I should put what.

It's rather fascinating to see how utterly tiny half scale furniture actually is... I want to start on my little house so badly now!

Nobody ever said how addicting this hobby was!?