Never-fail fudge recipe -- got one?

KathieB

This time of year I harken back to the incredibly creamy, homemade chocolate fudge that unfailingly arrived with the Christmas box from my mother-in-law. I've never found a commercially made fudge that compares favorably in taste and/or texture, and believe me, I've tasted many!  I'm not a bad cook, but apparently I lack a fudge gene in the cooking segment of my DNA helix. The dear woman gave me a couple of private lessons while she was alive, but ...  Yesterday I tried again with her "Never-fail Fudge" recipe, written in her own hand. It turned out more like taffy. I wrestled a square out of the pan last night to test it. Good flavor, gross texture. This morning the remaining mass had oozed into the space and completely filled it. No one could tell a piece had been removed.  I THINK the problem was not enough beating, but the muscles in my arms were so painful that I had to quit. Maybe I misjudged the softball test. Who knows? :dunno: Since I have enough ingredients for another batch, will try again today, but this time will pay closer attention to the soft ball test and use the wire whisk attachment on the electric hand mixer to do the beating. What's one more failure?

The recipe: Combine and mix well together in a small pan, 3 Tbsp cocoa, 2 C white sugar, 1/4 C butter, 1/2 C white Karo syrup, 1/2 c cream, and a pinch of salt. Place on medium heat until it come to a boil. Turn to simmer & cover pan with tight lid for 1 minute. Remove lid & let boil slowly for 8 minutes or until soft ball in cold water. (Do not stir!) Remove from heat and let cool about an hour. Add 1 tsp vanilla and beat until thick & creamy & glossy look begins to fade. Stir in 1 C chopped walnuts. Turn out onto buttered pan. Score while still warm.

Meanwhile, do you have a never-fail fudge recipe that lives up to its name? Please share!

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

This is the one my grandpa would make. His fudge was always the best. I miss it and him 

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/million-dollar-fudge-a-favorite-recipe-of-first-lady-mamie-eisen-506347

Sounds good, very sweet. Was taken aback by the nutritional value info -- 891 calories per serving, 433% of daily sugar limit. Makes me glad the hand written recipe I have doesn't include nutritional value. News like this is enough to smack the Merry out of Merry Christmas! :cry:

My friend who is a foodie insists that the quality of vanilla extract in your recipe is of utmost importance to final taste. I didn't even know that there were different qualities of vanilla extract. Ive never bought anything but imitation. Dropped $12 on tiny bottle of fancy vanilla extract. Thought I would take her advice since I've already spent a small fortune on this upcoming Gingerbread project and don't want sub-par vanilla to ruin it. 

My grandmother made the best fudge. But unfortunately, she never shared the recipe. Mama had a general idea on how she made it, so we went searching for old recipes. She said that Nanny always said her arm would about fall off when she was stirring, so sounds like you're in the right track. Mama tried it a few weeks ago... Her first attempt broke her wooden spoon, and went in the trash. The second attempt was pretty close to right. Nanny always used a wooden spoon. Also, mama said that Nanny didn't let it sit for an hour. Mama tried that on the batch that went in the trash. Some people say that instead of letting it sit, they put it in a sink of cold water. Nanny didn't do that either.

Here's the recipe that seems pretty close.

Old Fashioned Hershey Cocoa Fudge
3 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole milk, no substitute
1/4 cup real butter, no substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Line 8 or 9 inch square pan with foil; butter foil.
In large heavy saucepan stir together first three ingredients; stir in milk, with a wooden spoon*.
Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a full rolling boil.
Boil without stirring, to 234 degrees F on a candy thermometer (or until syrup, when dropped in very cold water forms a soft ball which flattens when removed from water). Bulb of candy thermometer should not rest on bottom of pan. (This can take 20-30 minutes).
Remove from heat. Add butter & vanilla.
DO NOT STIR! Cool at room temperature to 110 degrees F (lukewarm). (This can take 2 to 2-1/2 hours).
Beat with wooden spoon until fudge thickens & loses some of its gloss. (This can take 15-20 minutes. It really works best if you have someone to 'tag-team' with.) It starts to look more like frosting than a thick syrup when it is ready.
Quickly spread into prepared pan; cool.
Cut into squares.
Store wrapped loosely in foil in the refrigerator.
*it is very important not to use a wire whisk or the fudge will not set up. Also just stir gently, even though the cocoa will stay floating on top, it will mix in as the mixture heats up.
This recipe is from the back of a old Hershey Chocolate can

If you don't want to fool with a candy thermometer etc....There is a really simplistic recipe that probably wouldn't pass at a true confectioner's scrutiny, however it is devoured by my extended family at Christmas. It involves chocolate morsels, sweet and condensed milk and whatever else you want to add in the way of nuts, marshmallows.

It is a common recipe, so if you haven't seen it and are interested, let me know.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sparklepuppies said:

Old Fashioned Hershey Cocoa Fudge

That one does seem close to my recipe. I remember MIL's admonishing to use a wooden spoon, but my arm just won't keep up the beating long enough. Thanks, Carrie, but I'm not fond of the variations that use marshmallow creme or evaporated or sweetened condensed milk. They just don't get the right flavor. If the whisking won't do the trick, I guess I'll just have to salivate over memories. (Which in the long run is probably better for my hips and glucose levels, eh?)

FYI, in the interest of finding a way to salvage some of the first batch, I melted a bit in the microwave and poured it over vanilla ice cream. The flavor was good, but the dratted stuff turned back to taffy and coated the bowl, the spoon, and my teeth, plus it began to take on a granular texture. The rest of the mess is in the garbage. 

The first time I made fudge I was in high school and I remember all that stirring and dripping into the cup of water to test the soft ball (no candy thermometer in my mother's kitchen; she did well to boil water!).  It was OK.  The best textured fudge I ever made used the marshmallows and I stirred almost as much getting those nasty things to melt; I was still in high school.  The taste was so-so, if you like marshmallows.  I have never made fudge since, and I have lost my taste for sweet chocolate; 60% cacao content if about as sweet as I can stand.  I mix cocoa powder with McIlhenny's smoked chipotle tabasco sauce for mole to put on meat.

When I make pralines I use extra fine sugar. That could be why your getting that granular taste......if it's like taffy,you didn't let it cook enough. Bring it to temperature will all so help with the grittie taste.  Don't give up it takes a few times to get it right when you do,write down exactly what you did. A candy thermometer helps. Kind of like building a Dollhouse!!!

I made tons of candy and fudge for Christmas for years, there are a lot of recipes in a old Farm Home Journal Candy cook book that I still use to this day.  One of the most enlightening things that book offered about making fudge was temperature oriented.  First and for most always check your candy thermometer on the day of making candy in boiling water. if it is not 212 degrees you need to add or subtract the difference.  Second was to make sure you don't stir the sugar crystals that form on the top of the pan back into the fudge, use a wet paper towel on a fork to carefully wipe them away.  Third is make sure you cook to the correct temperature, most recipes give you a temp, but some just say to soft ball stage, you can test that along with using your thermometer if you are unsure.  And the most important item to making the creamiest fudge is the cooling, the hotter your candy is when you start beating the faster it will crystallize and it will be grainy.  It may take more then an hour to get the candy cooled down to 110 degrees, and it should sit without moving or stirring during this time.  When you start beating it will take longer then recipes that have you beat it right away, but it will be the creamiest fudge you ever made, the cooler temp allows finer crystallizing of the candy, making it so creamy.  

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Mineejv said:

On 12/11/2017, 12:01:31, L Swearengin said:

Thanks for the tips, Barb. (Ignore the above ... dunno why I can't delete it) .... I have retired from the fudge business. The second batch was a tad better, but is also headed for the garbage. Didn't use the electric beater; after cooling down some, the mass was too thick to use it. This is a time and $$ consuming learning curve, and I'm hopping off the track. A friend gave me a recipe for chocolate peanut clusters made in a crock pot. She is a "cook" who relies on Hamburger Helper when she's entertaining guests for dinner (just to  give you an idea of her skill level). So if it turns out well for her, it's definitely a no-fail candy! Off to Michael's today for candy cups.

48 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

One of my friends made Tiger Butter for a Thanksgiving paddling get together with another couple; it was right tasty and seems idiot proof.

Thanks, Holly ... this sounds even better than the crock pot nut clusters. "Better" meaning easier and quicker and far less labor intensive! think I'll try this one first. 

3 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

That tiger butter looks easy and tasty!! Thanks for the link! :)

Easy and tasty! Read the comments, as they suggest ways to assemble not included in the recipe itself.

3 hours ago, havanaholly said:

If it weren't so high in fat I'd make it; one piece made me thankful for my pacer; I could just feel the fat globs clogging up my arteries!

Not to worry, Holly ... this is mostly for giveaway goodie bags for the neighbors. They can worry about their own arteries. :) 

• Like 1

The pieces of Tiger Butter are wrapped in foil and in the goody bags, along with some Czech kolachky (apricot and prune), and homemade gingerbread. I took the easy way out with the gingerbread, cut circles and filled them with icing drawings of ornaments, snowflakes, trees, snowmen, and such. Need to buy or make some cards to go in the bags and they'll be ready to deliver. Before delivery, they can hold in the Bohemian refrigerator -- the unheated garage. :p 

• Like 1