Making porcelain dollhouse people

Thimble Hall

I had posted this blog link, this is Stacy Hofmans new blog to help beginners. It has links to a lot of great info and sources for blanks, etc. Bonnie Glazier is reliable and nicely priced, link is on Stacys blog. 

https://legacymoldsandmodels.blogspot.com/p/doll.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

I had posted this blog link, this is Stacy Hofmans new blog to help beginners. It has links to a lot of great info and sources for blanks, etc. Bonnie Glazier is reliable and nicely priced, link is on Stacys blog. 

https://legacymoldsandmodels.blogspot.com/p/doll.html

Thanks Karin! I had a quick look at that blog but was SUPER busy yesterday so will take a proper look today.

16 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

This is a great blog for beginners like myself or just anyone getting interested in dolls. It was created around Thankgiving this year, by doll artist Stacy Hofman, with its aim to help us beginners with information and links to tutorials for painting, finding blanks, costuming, wigging, etc. 

https://legacymoldsandmodels.blogspot.com/

Well, I fell down that rabbit hole! :giggle:

Now I wanna try painting a doll!.. Going to have to add this to my someday list. :) 

Goodee Samantha, now I can finally start answering questions rather than asking them, you will find it very creative as your doll can be anything you want it to be, much like building your own houses actually rather than buying them ready done

I have one more parcel of molds to pick up at the border then I can study all the men's  faces and Joe will finally be born..it was because of him that I started to make dolls again LOL

• Like 3

Just so people are aware, there is a link on the legacy molds page to a website that sells doll blanks and I caution people to be very wary about the seller. I ordered from this seller and the dolls were never sent and the seller stopped replying to my emails after a while. If you are thinking of buying some blanks and want to know which seller it was, send me a message.

On another note, it is clear that if you have the moulds and want to make dolls, there is a gap in the market for blanks.

That's essentially why I bought the kiln and am getting my own molds together, I don't want to be dependent on sellers of blanks for my dolls. They're few and far between and I'd rather learn to do it myself. There are only a small handful of people who sell the molds and even fewer offering blanks. A few years from now prices could skyrocket as they become even more scarce. I'm not intending to sell either tho, unless I have extras sitting around. 

This is very intriguing, I would love to have some dolls, and maybe paint some blanks however I don't think I am in a situation to  start in on trying to make them myself, I have too many irons in the fire now and it would be too expensive to gear up at this point.  It is interesting to see everyone's progress in this though!

• Like 1

It may be prudent to point out there is a mold company that is taking orders and not responding either. I did in fact order from this company, as luck would have it I did not pay as I had a question  and requested they contact me. I got no response from my emails and eventually I phoned them . I was told there was a problem with the server and they took the order  over the phone and said they would get back to me the next day.,To cut a very long story short I must have had a dozen or more  phone calls each with a different excuse as to why the delay. The last two were telling me the order would be ready to ship the next day, still nothing. I still have not paid  for this order but doubt I will ever see it. Something is clearly wrong at the other end. Again I will give the name to anyone who contacts me privately.

The other three companies I have bought from were professional and got the orders to me quickly'

17 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

This is very intriguing, I would love to have some dolls, and maybe paint some blanks however I don't think I am in a situation to  start in on trying to make them myself, I have too many irons in the fire now and it would be too expensive to gear up at this point.  It is interesting to see everyone's progress in this though!

It doesn't have to be expensive. This site is very reliable, and sells kits with everything you need to complete a quality porcelain doll for less than $20, except pattern and fabric. You can buy patterns from them too, but they're separate. They also sell quality lace trims, etc. their "fun packs" of trims are a great value. The face paint is already done but you can customize it with acrylics if you would want to. I bought my Gertie from them and redid her makeup. I've bought several doll kits from them and have been ordering minis from this site for years. 

http://www.minikitz.com/ZenStoreP1/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=165_166&zenid=0p89qvpldts293lkvsdesvdvg3

15 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

It doesn't have to be expensive. This site is very reliable, and sells kits with everything you need to complete a quality porcelain doll for less than $20, except pattern and fabric. You can buy patterns from them too, but they're separate. They also sell quality lace trims, etc. their "fun packs" of trims are a great value. The face paint is already done but you can customize it with acrylics if you would want to. I bought my Gertie from them and redid her makeup. I've bought several doll kits from them and have been ordering minis from this site for years. 

http://www.minikitz.com/ZenStoreP1/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=165_166&zenid=0p89qvpldts293lkvsdesvdvg3

I looked into your link, thanks for the information, I may try one of those just to see.   I wouldn't have to get patterns I can make my own, the dressing part would be fun!

• Like 1