Stairs, all about stairs...

Anna

So, my MIL was so inspired by the Picture on the cover of the August copy of DHMS and is planning to custom make a roombox inspired by the scene. But she is stumped by constructing the stairs surrounding the "room" so to speak. It is a sort of U shape but with no landings, rather an elongated circular stair.

Anyone knows if it comes something like this in a kit?

large.stairs.JPG.86fb43234ff5171714453b3

2 minutes ago, KathieB said:

How graceful! It would be a real challenge to build without a kit, but I haven't seen one.

I know! That is why we hoped that it by some magical touch would be a kit somewhere... Looks so inviting and I would love to have such a foyer myself, but not the cleaning part I suspect  accompany it. I  have planned a few surprises for MIL for Christmas from this setting to, ie a fire palce and a ceiling lantern (hoping the will arrive in time), still looking for an armour though.

Hugs

Anna, that staircase makes a 180° turn. Most curved staircase today only make a 45° turn. You could, theoretically, take two of those 45° staircases and make the same sweep in a two story entrance hall. Lawbre staircases make a little over 45° turn and there's one on eBay right now that I don't think the seller knows is a Lawbre: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wood-Doll-House-Spiral-Stairs/232566851260?hash=item36261086bc:g:2MUAAOSw7qdZ55St

But for a staircase like the one you're looking at in the picture, you may need to get it custom made. However, if you can get someone to make extra deep steps, you could make your own by just placing each step just at an angle to the one below it and make your curve that way, which I think is how the one in the picture was made. See how wide the steps are compared to their heights? Then you can use a piece of spray painted plastic tubing to curve around as a railing.

• Like 1

Anna, I would think if she can find some foam or gator board she could make the stairs, and perhaps just a thin slice of bass wood for the actual treads? That way the stairs are lightweight but still have that substantial look that they do on the cover... An additional thought, if this is for a roombox and the upstairs isn't going to be seen so much, she may be able to cut the top baluster and railing and perhaps glue that top stair/railing etc to the actual ceiling of the roombox. I'm not phrasing that so well, but I can picture it in my head. lol

• Like 1

Gina/ Wolfie made a roombox from foam core, including the stairs curving off to the sides, and I recall she posted that she cut the steps and glued them as she stacked them.  If your MIL used builders' foam in the thickness she wanted for each step and clad the exposed parts with archival card or thin wood, would it not give the same appearance?  DHMS comes up with some really wowser idea; one of their early Projects issues had a foyer with a similar stair, I believe  filigree fan's ribs were used for the balusters.  The article was mostly about the "painted" (decoupaged) ceiling.

• Like 1