Vintage Vinyl Horsman Doll

CassB

Does anyone know how to clean a vintage 1950's all vinyl doll? She is all vinyl with jointed arms, sleeping eyes and rooted hair.  The vinyl is very sticky to the touch and dirty from being stored, not too well, for may years. The doll is approximately 64 years old. Are there any vinyl experts on this forum? I have had this doll since I was a child and I would like to clean her up somehow and display her. 

Cass B

I Googled "how to clean a vinyl doll" and found this website. It recommends baby wipes, among other things. I think you'll find it useful.

Here's a YouTube video that will also be useful ...  this one is using a Magic Eraser with 70% alcohol. Works well! She cleaned off Magic Marker and paint. 

3 minutes ago, CassB said:

Thanks Kathie

I found the website in my search but it didn't really address my problem. The doll's face and arms have a sticky film that attracts dirt and dust. Dish liquid doesn't seem to remove it.   

Did you use a dish liquid with a grease cutter, like Dawn? Not all dish liquids are the same. You might try alcohol on a Magic Eraser to cut through the sticky. Good luck!

I know Breyer horses made of plastic will eventually sort of disappear. The plastic molecules tend to disintegrate and anyone with an older model can usually compare it to one of the newer ones and see it's a lot smaller in size. Of course, disappearing completely will take a couple centuries, but it's noticeable after 50+  years. I would imagine vinyl would do that, too.

One thing you might want to do is check some home improvement stores or some antique places that deal with 50s kitsch. I'd be interested in how they keep the vinyl on those old table and chairs from the 50s so nice. They might have some sort of suggestion. Ort maybe even a doll shop. A lot of people collect dolls so they must deal with the problem occasionally.

I have a treasured doll from that era also. The body is okay but the eyes have a film over them. I am afraid to touch them, because that pushes them back into the head, and I don't want them to stay there!  The eyes still open and shut, but it looks like she's blind. I have her displayed anyway. She is the only toy to survive my childhood, given to me on my birthday in 1953.