Chrismas house

Goldenrodfarm

I want to do a Christmas house for next year, but after browsing dollhouses for way too long today, I just couldn't find anything that hit me right.   I don't want a real big one, but more then one room would be nice, plus attic.  I like Tudor houses but they are all either too big or too small.  I have also been wavering between a house decorated for Christmas and a house for Santa and Mrs Clause.  I think the Christmasy house is winning!  My minds eye has a roof that is thatched, but that is not in stone.  I saw image of one that I liked the look of with some alterations only to find that it is an assembled house and way out of my budget. here

So how many of the members here have done Christmas houses?  And which house did you use.  I thought about a room, but I really want a house!

• Like 1

My Christmas house is made from a White Orchid kit. There is a workshop downstairs and a kitchen. Upstairs is a bunk room for 4 male elves and a living/dining room. The girl elf sleeps downstairs in a trundle bed. I made the interior in 1:24 scale to accommodate the small stature of the elves. Carved a stairway out of builders foam board and hollowed it out to hold the batteries and wires for the minimal lighting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

...how many of the members here have done Christmas houses?  And which house did you use...

I also made my White Orchid into a Christmas house:  

the front exterior

Before Tim Allen's Santa Clause 3 movie came out I made Jack Frost and his wife who, on 24-25 December become Santa & Mrs Claus:  

the bed/ sitting room

• Like 1

My Christmas house is a gingerbread house made from the Buttercup kit. Mr. and Mrs. Claus live there. It has a kitchen and a small gingerbread house collection. I'm still working on decorating the inside, but right now it also has a sofa and small Christmas tree downstairs. Upstairs will likely be the bedroom. Kinda has to be if that's their house and where they live!

• Like 1

The Greenleaf store has a house that was used for a spring fling starter kit, and it has additions, to me it looks similar to the one in the link.  I love that one in the link btw, that looks like a perfect Stantas cottage. 

Barb, just checking and I'm not sure, but is it possible that you accidently changed your profile picture to a photo in the gallery posted by shamrockgirl the other day? That happens if you accidently touch a tiny section on the upper right hand corner of the photo in the gallery. Just another fun gallery glitch (sarcasm) lol...it's happened to me before too. 

5 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

is it possible that you accidently changed your profile picture to a photo in the gallery posted by shamrockgirl the other day? That happens if you accidently touch a tiny section on the upper right hand corner of the photo in the gallery. Just another fun gallery glitch (sarcasm) lol...it's happened to me before too. 

Happened to me, too. :D 

1 hour ago, WyckedWood said:

Barb, just checking and I'm not sure, but is it possible that you accidently changed your profile picture to a photo in the gallery posted by shamrockgirl the other day? That happens if you accidently touch a tiny section on the upper right hand corner of the photo in the gallery. Just another fun gallery glitch (sarcasm) lol...it's happened to me before too. 

I didn't even notice that it changed lol.  It took me quite a while to get it back, I am computer handicapped right now with my main laptop down and my iPad battery dead so accessing the photos was interesting!  Thanks for telling me, I would have never known why it changed!

2 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

The Greenleaf store has a house that was used for a spring fling starter kit, and it has additions, to me it looks similar to the one in the link.  I love that one in the link btw, that looks like a perfect Stantas cottage. 

I think this is a definite possibility I have been looking at the additions and the ways I could change things around and I like the options!

• Like 1

Mine was the Dura-Craft Columbian. The 4 rooms seemed just about right, but it was larger than I really expected. This photo should give you an idea on space and layout, though I bumped out the kitchen an inch for more space and moved the stairway to the living room. You can pick one up for around $40 every now and again on eBay.

IMG_5987.JPG

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Anna said:

I have an Aster cottage as a Christmas house and have had allt fun building that, and this year after "some" years of storage putting it up for display. 

large.Northpole.jpg.b6ddbb02d88b4e0f92f2

I like the look of the Aster, but I think it is too small for what I want.  It may be workable with additions though, I am fooling around with several ideas right now.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Jodi, did you make your little potholders?

I'm afraid to say I am not talented with crochet, Holly. I purchased them from a lady named Giovanna through her Etsy shop. They are so delicate and truly beautiful! Here's the link in case you want to take a look at her little wonders. I can't even fathom creating anything that tiny!

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/1328161884

4 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I think it would work with an itty steel hook and sewing thread.  The link takes me to a sign in page, and this is the only site I willingly sign onto.

Hmmm... Maybe this will work: www.etsy.com/shop/MiniGio

Not necessarily a "Christmas" house, but I have built a Madison and an Adams as cabins of sorts, and eventually I plan to put them together on a base and landscape them with snow, etc. Your post is kinda giving me the idea of making that into a Christmas display.

• Like 2

I have been mulling it all over and think that I would like the look of two asters bashed together, maybe with some small additions on the side.  I have always like the look of rock on the bottom of a Tudor house.  The second floor is still something I keep changing decisions on, I think a tall ceiling in the middle would be what I am looking for then I think of a workshop in the attic.  I need to sit down with a measure and decide just how big I want this, maybe the best thing would be to get one and look at the floor plan dry fitted before deciding on two, sometimes I have trouble with exactly how large something is until I see it.

• Like 1