An interesting turn of events

SewMini

29 minutes ago, SewMini said:

It's officially official! As of June 1 we will be Danes!! We're all super excited and can't wait to get there and get settled. First, though we have about a million things to take care of here before we leave. GAH!!! I can't believe it's actually happening!

Wow, welcome to these parts of the world! I am only about little over an hour drive over the bridge to Sweden from Copenhague. There is a great mini club close by (in Farum north of Copenhague, in between Copenhague and Helsingoer as well as other mini ventures as a mini-museum, several mini fairs around Denmark as well as a well renowned Miniature work shop week in Tune.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Anna said:

Wow, welcome to these parts of the world! I am only about little over an hour drive over the bridge to Sweden from Copenhague. There is a great mini club close by (in Farum north of Copenhague, in between Copenhague and Helsingoer as well as other mini ventures as a mini-museum, several mini fairs around Denmark as well as a well renowned Miniature work shop week in Tune.

Ooooh that sounds great. We're actually looking in Holte and Virum which are both right next to Farum so that's perfect. Are you in Malmo? I can't wait to find out more about the miniature work shop week in June. Maybe I'll be there in time for it.

1 minute ago, SewMini said:

Ooooh that sounds great. We're actually looking in Holte and Virum which are both right next to Farum so that's perfect. Are you in Malmo? I can't wait to find out more about the miniature work shop week in June. Maybe I'll be there in time for it.

I am a bit Further up north compared to Malmoe and a bit Further inlands, closest "large" (for the region and Sweden atleast) is Helsingborg. I'll,gather up some more mini-info and Will really it to you. 

Are you on FB Miranda? There is a Danish group called Miniseums Venner where you could get a head start in finding useful info regarding minis in Denmark as well as info regarding this Danish mini museum

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hello! I wanted to pop in quickly today to check on everyone. It's been quite a long time since I was on the forum. I haven't forgotten all of you, I've just been crazy busy.

We have found a lovely house in Denmark (I can't remember if I posted about that). It's in Soborg which is just a little northwest of Copenhagen. I think the last time I had checked in we were actually in Denmark looking at houses. The one we got is VERY Danish looking and has all kind of whiz bang features. I'm sure it will take me a week to figure out how the stove works as it has a remote!

We've finally sort of got Maya's school figured out. After some back and forth with the local school system, they have finally offered to place her in a local Primary school in a reception class. Initially, they had offered to place her at a reception class at an alternative school. The school itself sounds lovely for the kids who need it but we were really concerned Maya wouldn't fit in there so we asked for other options. They finally got back to us with a different option (putting her in a regular primary school). It's not our first choice (there is actually a primary school that is much closer but they are placing her at a different one) but it's not the alternative school so I'll take it!

Josh is already in Denmark. He left last Monday and started work last Wednesday. Today he's in London at the Adobe Summit so he's totally in his element. He's met a couple of the neighbors already and they all seem nice. 

Selling the house has been...difficult. We listed and almost instantly had 4 contracts. We accepted one and they basically instantly backed out. We went to the second bidders and accepted their contract...until they found out how much the property taxes in my village are and backed out the morning of the inspection. We are currently on our third buyers. We just had the inspection this morning and the work is the inspection was "OK overall but they have some significant concerns and are going to get back to their agent" Cue heart attack.

I am so stressed out right now. I am so tired of cleaning things and fussing over everything in the house. Josh is doing his best to comfort me from afar but it's so hard. I really just want it all to be done. Ugh.

We go for good on the 28th. I leave work on the 18th. I can't believe it is already the 2nd! May seemed lightyears away when this all happened in February. Where did the time go!

If anyone is interested, I've started a blog called "Faking It in Denmark." It's on Wordpress so feel free to follow along! https://fakingitindenmark.wordpress.com/ 

41 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Hello! I wanted to pop in quickly today to check on everyone. It's been quite a long time since I was on the forum. I haven't forgotten all of you, I've just been crazy busy.

We have found a lovely house in Denmark (I can't remember if I posted about that). It's in Soborg which is just a little northwest of Copenhagen. I think the last time I had checked in we were actually in Denmark looking at houses. The one we got is VERY Danish looking and has all kind of whiz bang features. I'm sure it will take me a week to figure out how the stove works as it has a remote!

We've finally sort of got Maya's school figured out. After some back and forth with the local school system, they have finally offered to place her in a local Primary school in a reception class. Initially, they had offered to place her at a reception class at an alternative school. The school itself sounds lovely for the kids who need it but we were really concerned Maya wouldn't fit in there so we asked for other options. They finally got back to us with a different option (putting her in a regular primary school). It's not our first choice (there is actually a primary school that is much closer but they are placing her at a different one) but it's not the alternative school so I'll take it!

Josh is already in Denmark. He left last Monday and started work last Wednesday. Today he's in London at the Adobe Summit so he's totally in his element. He's met a couple of the neighbors already and they all seem nice. 

Selling the house has been...difficult. We listed and almost instantly had 4 contracts. We accepted one and they basically instantly backed out. We went to the second bidders and accepted their contract...until they found out how much the property taxes in my village are and backed out the morning of the inspection. We are currently on our third buyers. We just had the inspection this morning and the work is the inspection was "OK overall but they have some significant concerns and are going to get back to their agent" Cue heart attack.

I am so stressed out right now. I am so tired of cleaning things and fussing over everything in the house. Josh is doing his best to comfort me from afar but it's so hard. I really just want it all to be done. Ugh.

We go for good on the 28th. I leave work on the 18th. I can't believe it is already the 2nd! May seemed lightyears away when this all happened in February. Where did the time go!

If anyone is interested, I've started a blog called "Faking It in Denmark." It's on Wordpress so feel free to follow along! https://fakingitindenmark.wordpress.com/ 

I checked out your blog Miranda! I love your sense of humour and you write well :) Your doggos and cat are super cute and your daughter adorable - what age is she, my son is in 7th grade. Being an 'expat' can be gruelling at times but it's a great experience, my kids have spent their whole lives moving house and school every three years. You'll all come out stronger. I'd love to see your new home, I hope you'll do a post on it in your blog. I'll be following your progress :) (I think I mentioned we spent 4 years in Norway?)

On ‎5‎/‎2‎/‎2018‎ ‎5‎:‎31‎:‎04‎, WestPaces said:

I checked out your blog Miranda! I love your sense of humour and you write well :) Your doggos and cat are super cute and your daughter adorable - what age is she, my son is in 7th grade. Being an 'expat' can be gruelling at times but it's a great experience, my kids have spent their whole lives moving house and school every three years. You'll all come out stronger. I'd love to see your new home, I hope you'll do a post on it in your blog. I'll be following your progress :) (I think I mentioned we spent 4 years in Norway?)

Thanks, Janet! The blog has been a really fun escape. My daughter will be 15 in September so quite a bit older than most expat kids who move abroad (that aren't military or civil service). That's awesome that you were in Norway. I have a friend in Trondheim. She loves it there. 

Here's a link to where you can see the house! http://homesandhousing.dk/eng/villa-rental-rent-copenhagen-soeborg-location.php

It's so fancy!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SewMini said:

Thanks, Janet! The blog has been a really fun escape. My daughter will be 15 in September so quite a bit older than most expat kids who move abroad (that aren't military or civil service). That's awesome that you were in Norway. I have a friend in Trondheim. She loves it there. 

Here's a link to where you can see the house! http://homesandhousing.dk/eng/villa-rental-rent-copenhagen-soeborg-location.php

It's so fancy!

Oh! Love love love! Typical pared back Scandi beauty, stylish and functional: Does it come furnished? (those wishbone chairs - swoon)

4 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Oh! Love love love! Typical pared back Scandi beauty, stylish and functional: Does it come furnished? (those wishbone chairs - swoon)

My reaction, exactly! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestPaces said:

Sadly, that is all the owner's belongings and will not convey. We did get a lovely sectional couch though and Josh got us a bed at IKEA that fits perfectly in our bedroom. I REALLY love how sleek everything is. I definitely want to keep it clean and decluttered. Having everything here in IL be so clean and decluttered has been so good for my anxiety. It's amazing how having less to look at has helped. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

With all those windows, I hope it buttons up nice & warm in winter!

It actually does stay quite warm. We were there on a cold, cold day and it was toasty warm. The floors are actually some super expensive Danish brand and are radiant heat floors. They are throughout the house so no cold feet! I've decided to take over the room with the large mirrored wardrobe to be my miniatures/crafting room. It will be nice to have some light in my room for once! 

We heard back from our buyers about what they want fixed. Oy. I get the feeling these people are first time homeowners. They are saying $40-50,000 of work needs to be done to the house to make it meet their standards. $30,000 of that would be the installation of central air. Why is that my problem? It's a 104 year old house that is completely finished. OF COURSE it's expensive to put in central air. Why do they think we still have window units? Heaven forbid people open a window or sit out on the deck. They are also planning to put their kids in our basement so are asking that we cover the cost of installing legal egress windows. Again, not really my problem but I guess it makes sense since the rooms down there are set up like bedrooms. According to their lawyer, they are being "nice" and only asking for $11,500 in credits. *eye roll*

I can't wait for it all to be over!

I'm SO glad that the people who bought our house in Havana knew what they were getting and loved it as it was (after we had made repairs and improvements we had been going to make, anyway).

16 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I'm SO glad that the people who bought our house in Havana knew what they were getting and loved it as it was (after we had made repairs and improvements we had been going to make, anyway).

I just cant understand why a buyer would complain about an old house not having AC. Here’s an idea, buy a different house. Dont complain about mine not having AC as if we are bad home owners. We knew exactly what we were getting when we bought and we accepted it. Don’t bid on a historic home when you’re looking for a new build that just looks historic.

• Like 1

@SewMiniAccording to their lawyer, they are being "nice" and only asking for $11,500 in credits. *eye roll*

Have they done the home inspection yet?  Wait to give them anything until after the home inspection. You’ll never know if they will also want a new roof, or appliances after the inspection. My father kept giving and giving and giving concessions to keep a sale. He would have been better off to let the buyers walk away. 

24 minutes ago, Sable said:

@SewMiniAccording to their lawyer, they are being "nice" and only asking for $11,500 in credits. *eye roll*

Have they done the home inspection yet?  Wait to give them anything until after the home inspection. You’ll never know if they will also want a new roof, or appliances after the inspection. My father kept giving and giving and giving concessions to keep a sale. He would have been better off to let the buyers walk away. 

This is after the home inspection. That’s how they came up with their list of things that need to be done to the house to “make it livable.” Josh and I both  want an “as is” clause added so that after closing they cannot come back and demand any more money. They are very concerned about our basement because ONE TIME we took in water in a freak occurence during a rainstorm. they seem to be concinved that we flood all the time and are lying about it (at least given their questions that seems to be the case). I DO NOT want to be held liable if the worst happens and they some how do take on water down the road. I also dont want them coming back upset if they find out they cant install an egress window in one of the basement rooms because Im not certain they can. It sits right next to our main sewer and gas lines. 

Gosh, Miranda, just say no. We had picky buyers like this when we sold a New Orleans house several years ago. They wanted the hardwood flooring refinished in 2/3 of the open plan house because there was a minor scratch in a corner of the living room that would normally be hidden under a piece of furniture and threatened to walk away if we wouldn't capitulate. We said no. They did go away but came back a few weeks later and bought the house as is.

In my book, making it livable means correcting safety issues, not making major changes remodeling changes like adding air conditioning or windows.

• Like 2

I wish I could tell them some choice words that aren't ladylike. The truth is, though, we do need to sell and quickly. The shipping container comes on May 22. If we were just trying to buy a house somewhere else, we'd be a bit more flexible I think. We're unfortunately in a bind though so we have to be cognizant of that. 

If they will take the money and we can guarantee they will never speak to us again nor will they legally be able to come after us for anything, we'll eat the costs. That said, we may indeed walk away if they won't accept the as is clause. 

• Like 1