An interesting turn of events

SewMini

So I feel safe posting this here since It’s not FB but I just need to talk to someone about it! DH has been growing increasingly unhappy with his job and decided to kind of “shop around” at the Adobe conference he was just at in Vegas. He had an extremely promising conversation with a “decision maker” for an international consulting firm about a role with their Northern Europe branch. It’s looking really good though nothing solid and we still dont know about pay. Given his level, we assume it would be similar to what he makes now. If it works out, we would move to The Netherlands with their assistance every step of the way. 

I have bitten off all my fingernails thinking about it. Ive mentioned before that we’re huge travellers so living abroad has always been the dream. Now, though, Maya is older and about to go into high school so thats a big concern. She’s been extremely frosty about the whole idea. There were tears and an emergency ice cream run yesterday. She’s so upset that we would consider moving AND, even worse, moving abroad. We’ve been in this position before (when we thought Josh was going to take the job in Paris) and it’s not happened so she’s convinced it won’t this time too. Im not so sure about that. At this point, barring them coming in with some terrible pay package, Josh and I feel like it’s a wonderful opportunity for him career-wise and for us as a family. We can’t pass it up. I just hope that if it does happen, Maya will adjust. I personally think she’ll love it there but I also know it’s a lot to ask of her especially now. 

Back to chewing off my fingernails.

• Like 2

Ummm, tough call. I can see why it would be hard for her, but if she is about to start high school, isn’t that a good time, rather than in the middle? And it is an opportunity not many people get that she would probably look back on and thank you for. It sounds amazing to me. I’d love the chance to live in Europe.

And also you are the parents and decision makers and bill payers....

If the offer is made and it’s good we’ll absolutely take it and she’ll have to live with it. That said, I remember having an awful time when I moved from Matyland to Tennessee as a kid. I was picked on relentlessly for years by kids who decided early on that I was an outsider. It was not an easy adjustment. I am hoping that as a new high school student the kids will be more mature about someone new. 

My son married a girl from Holland and has lived there for about 12 years, I have been over there 4 times since then  .I have had many Dutch friends over the last 50 odd years. I can honestly say I have never met an unfriendly person from Holland and lmost everyone speaks English. Just my two penneth . good luck with your new venture.

Sooooo exciting! I know it's hard now and Maya will probably think her world is ending, but honestly the opportunity to go to an international school and the education that will bring (international schools are second to none, education wise). Not to mention learning another language, the life experiences, etc, etc. Honestly, she'll hate you now but thank you later. 

My MIL goes to The Netherlands regularly, she has a close friend who works at the Hague. It's a wonderful country and there are lots of expats there so, you could join the local American expatriates association if you felt like Maya needed a few American friends and culture from time to time. :D 

Kids adjust. After Katrina and our surprise move from New Orleans to central Missouri (where the nearest mall was 70 miles away), our middle-schooler and high school freshman took about 2 months to go from "When are we  going home?" to "Do we have to go back?" Actually, they didn't have to go back. We stayed so they could both finish high school and move on with their lives.

We’ve been to The Netherlands twice and just loved it. Reading about Dutch culture really makes me feel like this is the place we need to be. I jokes with Josh last night that I think we’ve been secretly Dutch this whole time and didnt know it. :D It’s basically a country of very friendly introverts so we’d fit right in!

all that said, Im trying hard not to get too far ahead of myself. We dont know what kind of salary he’d be offered so that’s a key piece. It’s looking really good though!

Oh Miranda what a wonderful opportunity this would be!  I know it would be hard for your daughter, but she would adjust....and she may discover that it was the coolest thing that ever happened!

Wishing you good luck! Crossing my fingers for you!

57 minutes ago, SewMini said:

We dont know what kind of salary he’d be offered so that’s a key piece. It’s looking really good though!

Crossing fingers that it works out for you. :) 

We have a member from the Netherlands -- kokkie. Here is a link to her albums.

Sounds like a good opportunity for your family, Kids adjust, I know since I was one of those that moved and moved and moved.  I was born here in Maine than we kept moving anywhere from 6 months to 3 years because my Dad was a trouble shooter and went where they needed him to step in and fix operations or mills, he would usually take over running of them for a specified amount of time and get the kinks out then we would move on.  I remember when I was in High school the choice of moves was either Puerto Rico or Presque Isle, Maine, my Dad really wanted to get back to Maine so that was the choice!

8 hours ago, Samusa said:

Sooooo exciting! I know it's hard now and Maya will probably think her world is ending, but honestly the opportunity to go to an international school and the education that will bring (international schools are second to none, education wise). Not to mention learning another language, the life experiences, etc, etc. Honestly, she'll hate you now but thank you later. 

My MIL goes to The Netherlands regularly, she has a close friend who works at the Hague. It's a wonderful country and there are lots of expats there so, you could join the local American expatriates association if you felt like Maya needed a few American friends and culture from time to time. :D 

Ive been looking at IB schools and really like them. Some of the ones in Amsterdam are pricey but we could also move to Utrecht and there is one there that, in terms of IB school tuition rates, is reasonable. It’s on par with what you’d pay for private school here. I prefer Utrecht because JDRF, my current employer, actually has an office there. If I cant find work, Id love to be able to continue on as a volunteer. Anyway, I really think she’d like the cirriculum there and be more at home. Im afraid that if I put her in regular public school, they’ll hold her back a year which we’ve already done once. I dont want her graduating from high school when she’s 20!

7 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity, and I also think Maya will be fine in the long run.  And think how much fun it will be, to be able to travel around Europe so easily (and get inspiration for your minis)!

Shipping from the Dollhouse Emporium would probably be less!

Make an inquiry with the your local high school guidance counselor about what courses will be accepted if you should come back. Also, will colleges accept a degree from this school? Make sure SAT exams can be taken over there. My UK nephew went to the American School of Paris for two years. Unfortunately, his UK high school wouldn’t accept his credits from the Paris school so he had to get the UK equivalent to a GED.

I moved every two years as a child .  I always adjusted and settled in by Halloween.  

3 hours ago, Sable said:

Also, will colleges accept a degree from this school? Make sure SAT exams can be taken over there. My UK nephew went to the American School of Paris for two years. Unfortunately, his UK high school wouldn’t accept his credits from the Paris school so he had to get the UK equivalent to a GED.

International Baccalaureate (IB) is accepted internationally. Smart kids in Australia are starting to do an IB instead of a traditional high school diploma due to it's virtually worldwide acceptance at all Universities.:) 

6 hours ago, Elsbeth said:

Wait...will you move your dollhouses? Or do they stay behind?

Oof thats a good question. I dont know if I trust the universe to ship a built dollhouse overseas. I’ll keep working on the Casa until i have to make a decision. Worst case scenario, I hold onto my unmade Glencroft and ship that flat. The casa has been a lot more about building skills than being my piece d’resistance so Im not opposed to having to abandon it if I have to. I know that sounds horrible but I have to be realistic about the logistics of an international move. I dont even know if I can take my sewing machines since they are made for American power outlets as opposed to European. I imagine we’ll be very limited in how much we can ship over on their dime. I think my parents could only ship 1000lbs when they moved to Germany after I got married. Sounds like a lot until you think about how our bed literally weighs 150 without the mattess. Every lb counts.

On the assumption that one day you'll return to the USA, you could put your dollhouses in a  climate-controlled storage unit with other things that you don't want to part with but don't want to ship. With so many miniature sources in Europe, you might think about getting a new kit once you're settled and see what kind of workspace you have.

FYI, back in the day, my then husband and I lived aboard our boat for four years. We put all of our household goods in a storage unit. I meticulously inventoried and numbered each box and made a map of where each box was located in the event we needed to retrieve something. During the four years we went to the storage unit three times, each time to bring something TO storage. Lesson learned.

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

I dont know. With as much as Josh and I love Europe, we may run away and never come back :D 

When I read this, I got a mental image of you and Josh and Maya in a gypsy wagon, rolling across the green hills of central Europe. :D Wheeeeeee!!

I have crossed the Atlantic three times now with furniture and electricals. I have brought UK electricals to Canada and taken Canadian ones to the UK. To use them  I bought transformers. I still use some UK electrical stuff  now with them here. I have 2, the lighter weight one runs small things including my sewing machines  and the heavier one ran my very heavy Kenwood Major food mixers. When I was over there I had the UK versions which ran anything Canadian.  It rather depends on what value you put on your stuff. I have some pretty expensive sewing machines and didn't want to part with them but had they been old I probably would have, Also I have 2 Singer Featherweights which I treasured

I would not suggest you try to take everything electrical that you own but it is plausible for some things.  The difference between UK and Holland is just the plug. My son took several tings from the UK to Holland and just had to change the plugs, but from the US to Holland you have a different voltage, this is where the transformers come in handy..

One other thing, if you have  a DVD collection take it with you, but don't take the player. The US movies won't run on a regular DVD machine  over there but... you can buy one now  which is region free and it will then run your US DVDs. I have region free DVD players here and I have a great many European  DVDs,  You may have to look for them but they are out there.

If you get a company to pack your belongings everything will be covered by insurance, if you pack for yourself it won't, however the only breakage I have ever had was with the stuff packed professionally. If I had something very treasured I packed it myself., of course you run the risk of loss rather than breakage but it has not happened to me. Another useful thing to remember is things travel by size not weight, you will be charged per cubic foot.  Just an example, my husband had a  large wooden chest that he packed his tools in and of course there was lots of small spaces around them., he went through his stash of stuff, like nails, screws, small tools,  his office drawers, my art tools  , lots of small unbreakable  craft items etc and the contents of some kitchen drawers and just dropped the stuff in loose, it filled all the little areas and travelled free. Of course it was a job to sort it at the other end but it saved quite a bit of money.

Some things are not worth taking unless very valuable like Chesterfields etc but small things are. eg I gave away all my cookie sheets thinking I would just pick up new ones but... they were expensive in the UK and I never found the quality that I was used to so I should have carried them, It would have been cheaper and I would have got the things I liked.

Take a look on Amazon UK just generally, I think there is a Dutch one too. You can check out prices of stuff before you go which will help you decide.

There is an expats forum which covers worldwide issues it may be a good idea to join it and ask any questions there.

Hope this helps a bit.