Furniture Identification

third_hand

Howdy everyone!

On my vacation (back home)  to south Florida, I managed to come across several pieces of cheap-o furniture. It's previous owner seems to have been less than precise during assembly and a bit heavy-handed on the lacquer/varnish! In any case, they *appear* to be made of some kind of hardwood (but that could be an effect of the intense finishing). I would like to re-purpose these pieces (i.e., replace parts with more elegant dowels, add knobs and handles, and perhaps upholster the chairs after replacing those strange little arms). In order to do the best job, I'd like to know a little more about them.

Does anyone recognize these? Do they belong to a kit? Or, are they dollar store pieces? And, if anyone is willing, do you have any tips for refurbishing these little guys?

Thanks in advance!

26030795_10214984878446611_1525837874_n.jpg

$Tree used to sell those pieces.  Sometimes the lacquer can be coaxed loose with the orange stripper goo and if you can pry off the knobs to make sure nothing is attached with supplemental pins you can possibly nuke the pieces very briefly to loosen the glue (I have done it with a dip in boiling water).

52 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

$Tree used to sell those pieces.  Sometimes the lacquer can be coaxed loose with the orange stripper goo and if you can pry off the knobs to make sure nothing is attached with supplemental pins you can possibly nuke the pieces very briefly to loosen the glue (I have done it with a dip in boiling water).

Thanks, Holly! Good to know what I'm working with. Let's see what I can do to make these puppies a bit more decorative. I'll certain try to get some of that glue up. It's globbed on in a serious way! 

As usual, the guidance of more experienced miniaturists as yourself is greatly appreciated! :) 

There's a chapter in one of Andrea Barham's books devoted to making silk purses out of those sow's ear uber cheap furniture pieces.  When you get that very nasty oval table apart & de=glazed, stain those legs walnut or mahogany and prime and paint that top faux marble and it will thank you for it.  Also, if you can get your paws on some needlepoint scrim to replace whatever was used for those chair backs it has to be an improvement!  Or else trace & cut new ones in acid free card and cover them with fabric (I would find a high tpi count linen and stitch bargello covers for them, but I'm "into" tedium).

You could even replace those legs on that table with some fancy stair balusters and that would make it look a hundred times more attractive, too.

Holly, I'm laughing so much at your: "if you could get your paws on..." I wish like heck we could meet in person - we'd set the town on fire!

Just now, rodentraiser said:

...Holly, I'm laughing so much at your: "if you could get your paws on..." I wish like heck we could meet in person - we'd set the town on fire!

Kelly, I'm afraid the world's not ready for us!

On 12/23/2017, 4:25:27, havanaholly said:

There's a chapter in one of Andrea Barham's books devoted to making silk purses out of those sow's ear uber cheap furniture pieces.  When you get that very nasty oval table apart & de=glazed, stain those legs walnut or mahogany and prime and paint that top faux marble and it will thank you for it.  Also, if you can get your paws on some needlepoint scrim to replace whatever was used for those chair backs it has to be an improvement!  Or else trace & cut new ones in acid free card and cover them with fabric (I would find a high tpi count linen and stitch bargello covers for them, but I'm "into" tedium).

Well, gosh, I sort of liked the little oval coffee table! I had planned to refinish it, of course.  In any case, the needlepoint sounds like a fabulous idea, Holly. 

Thanks again :) 

On 12/23/2017, 12:54:55, third_hand said:

Howdy everyone!

On my vacation (back home)  to south Florida, I managed to come across several pieces of cheap-o furniture. It's previous owner seems to have been less than precise during assembly and a bit heavy-handed on the lacquer/varnish! In any case, they *appear* to be made of some kind of hardwood (but that could be an effect of the intense finishing). I would like to re-purpose these pieces (i.e., replace parts with more elegant dowels, add knobs and handles, and perhaps upholster the chairs after replacing those strange little arms). In order to do the best job, I'd like to know a little more about them.

Does anyone recognize these? Do they belong to a kit? Or, are they dollar store pieces? And, if anyone is willing, do you have any tips for refurbishing these little guys?

Thanks in advance!

26030795_10214984878446611_1525837874_n.jpg

Hi, Eli,

I have the same dining room set.  I got it several years ago at a white elephant-type store.  Aside from the chair backs and the knobs on the server and china cabinet, I think I can live with how the rest of it is - I think the whole thing costs about $6.00..  Let me know how you make out with this project.

On 12/31/2017, 12:28:02, mks said:

Hi, Eli,

I have the same dining room set.  I got it several years ago at a white elephant-type store.  Aside from the chair backs and the knobs on the server and china cabinet, I think I can live with how the rest of it is - I think the whole thing costs about $6.00..  Let me know how you make out with this project.

Aha, thanks! I figured it was pretty low-cost. I've been practicing with my Dremel (from Harbor Freight, nothing fancy) on the hutch piece. I think I can modify it to be real nice as soon as I get that lacquer off! I have a few ideas for adding some thin wood detail and new knobs. I also took Holly's advice and looked into doing some petit point for the chairs (I've removed the mesh and widened the openings a bit). Wish me luck :)