BigC

My proudest moment is reflected in Marie Laveau's Creole cottage, a bash of two Greenleaf Adams kits joined side by side with a sliding door between them. It is as historically accurate as I could make it with the help of Carolyn Morrow's biography of the life of Marie Laveau, the voodoo queen of New Orleans and my dear friend in New Orleans who recently passed away. Since I'm posting links instead of pages, I'm exceeding the limit of one photo. 

Exterior showing the bousillage construction of the period (1860s)

Interior reflecting the two sides of Marie Laveau's character; both Haitian voodoo and Roman Catholicism were integral parts of her life.

Learn more in my blog.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BigC said:

Aimed as an inspiration for others...

What has been your most definitive Dolls House build, purchase or accessory...and why?

Please include one picture image to show off your most proudest moment to date.

Background story:  I was sent the Glencroft kit to build and blog about.  I had been lusting for this kit to make Miss Marple's cottage.  When it arrived and I began the dry fit it proceeded to tell me stridently it was NOT going to be some lovely little cottage; no, by gosh, it was going to become a pub or not at all!  Most of the build was done in an RV camper on  three-month trip along both sides of the Mississippi River, in 2005.  I learned the joys of spackling compound, sandpaper, construction paper and making all the contents myself.  Here is the finished pub, outside and inside:

outsideKathieB's views:  the bar

It is, of course, unfinished; I have yet to install the beer taps; the shelf  side the bar has since been mounted behind it on the wall.

• Like 1

I just completed a life-size table lamp with the base made from five 5" X 7" photo frames with a little girl's nursery built inside. A brass plate with my one and only great granddaughter's first name and birth date was added to commemorate her birth (my personal keepsake).  Also I've just finished collecting all the furnishings and architectural components for a little girl's baby nursery to be built in a 10 gallon aquarium that  I've just recently started. A brass plate with my GG's name & birth date was also added and will be a gift to her. Those are just a few of the items that will be included in the room box.

DSC00408.JPG

DSC00368.JPG

11 hours ago, grazhina said:

I can only say that if for some reason I could only keep one of my dollhouses it would be the gnome's cottage. I don't really know why, I just feel more attached to it.

2.JPG

9.JPG

Probably because it's so darned adorable!  I keep looking for one every time we go hiking in the woods.

Well, I am pretty proud of myself for attempting the siding on my Beetlejuice house, but that's still in progress.

I think one of my proudest moments is when I accomplished Ariel's Grotto:

It was built completely from scratch with a method I had never attempted before. I almost gave up on it because it didn't seem to be going well, but I persevered.

I also used a little sound mechanism in a treasure chest, so that when the chest opens you can hear Ariel 'singing' her song: "Look at this stuff- isn't it neat?".  . .

ariel.jpg

• Like 1

My abandoned cabin.  It looks simple but was actually a very complex build with a "built from scratch" structure within the kit shell. 

It was also the first house that I built that was based on a real connection in my life- an old abandoned town in the woods near my family's cabin that we often explored when I was a kid.  The best part was my uncle saw a picture of the outside on Facebook and called my mother because he thought it was a real cabin that I had bought.

1 P1030738.jpg

2016 contest Dollhouse outside.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Khadi said:

...The best part was my uncle saw a picture of the outside on Facebook and called my mother because he thought it was a real cabin that I had bought.

1 P1030738.jpg

2016 contest Dollhouse outside.jpg

Karen, that's the best compliment of all.

• Like 1