Christmas house

Thimble Hall

I have been thinking about making a Christmas house and can't think of a better day to start it than Christmas day.I can do a wee bit as the mood takes me and probably have it finished for next year LOL so I have been looking through my stash to see what houses I have and among the kits and houses I have picked up this year I have an Artply Alison...When I posted I had found it on Craigs list I vaguely remember someone saying it would make a nice Christmas house. So maybe I will use that, the only snag is it looks a bit more farmhousy to me. I think I may prefer something with towers . Nothing from my stash is grabbing me but I have found some nice Christmas fabrics, some furniture that I can paint and maybe do some tole painting on and I can start on the people .

I am curious as to what kits others have used

• Like 2

As far as towers, some people have successfully added towers to their Greenleaf kits. I'm not completely sure how to do that, but I have taken a square victorian tower and changed its shape to a more rounded turret look. I did that on the Pierce.  Just a thought as far as towers. 

For a Christmas house a good size front porch is important to me, to do a little garland etc. The Allison has some nice railings that would look pretty draped with garland.  Maybe decide which features are most important (room for a tree, size of kitchen, staircase with garland) and then figure out which house fits the bill. 

I've always thought the wall hanging McKinley would make a neat Christmas house. It has a tower too :) and a staircase to decorate, and a front porch. 

When the big box hardware stores sell out the last of their flooring on rolls they will, if asked, let you have the empty cardboard cylinder the flooring was rolled around.  You do want  a hefty saw to cut one of those suckers into the desired length for a tower, as well as door & window openings.  Oatmeal boxes might work.

Thank you for the help. I don't think I have one that will do , so I need to find one. I havr gone through all the Greenleaf ones and nothing is grabbing me.I know Artply and RGT but there must be other companies out there. I thought I had found a store last night but there seemed to be something wrong with the online purchasing system.

On 2017-12-26 09:37:15, BigC said:

If it were me I would be definitely looking at something like a log cabin....a Scandinavinan log cabin perhaps

bb86da37f90981e7485c5bfb3bc54b8b--mini-cabins-chalet-style.jpg

I Think one could use one of the spring Fling builds to create something like this cottage:

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Laser-Cut-Dollhouse-Kit.html

2 hours ago, Jeannine said:

Thank you for the help. I don't think I have one that will do , so I need to find one. I havr gone through all the Greenleaf ones and nothing is grabbing me.I know Artply and RGT but there must be other companies out there. I thought I had found a store last night but there seemed to be something wrong with the online purchasing system.

What kind of scene do you want to create? With some. Relative bushinvånare I can see the Vineyard cottage bashed with an added on tower, the gingerbread trim can either be used to add some lace-feel to the exterior or be omitted for a more "strict" look so to speak

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Vineyard-Cottage-Dollhouse.html 

looking forward to seeing/hearing what you choose.

2 hours ago, Anna said:

I Think one could use one of the spring Fling builds to create something like this cottage:

http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/Laser-Cut-Dollhouse-Kit.html

And don't forget all the nifty add-ons one could use, too:  http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/New-Products.html

13 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

And don't forget all the nifty add-ons one could use, too:  http://shop.greenleafdollhouses.com/New-Products.html

So true, the add-ons are great to have a stash of :)  that is how I got the door for the Steampunk house, as I had ordered an extra for the spring Fling that I never used

Hi, I thought seriously about the Vineyard but didn't like the side entry, it is the look I have in my head though, I didn't want anything too wide but maybe tall.

I found a site a couple of days ago and picked a house out of it, then when I put it my basket the price changed. I have tried it again this morning and it has done the same thing

http://angeliccreationsllc.com/t/laser-cut-dollhouses

I got my Christmas fabric in.  I am so excited. I love all the little patterns.  I also went after Christmas shopping at Hobby Lobby and picked up a lot of miniature things to decorate with. Now all I have to do is find a house to put it all in.  Thinking now of the Sugar Plum.  I don't know if I want to start it now or wait until November to get in the spirit of next Christmas.

20171227_153858.jpg

20 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Hi, I thought seriously about the Vineyard but didn't like the side entry, it is the look I have in my head though, I didn't want anything too wide but maybe tall.

I found a site a couple of days ago and picked a house out of it, then when I put it my basket the price changed. I have tried it again this morning and it has done the same thing

Those come in 3 scales, the price you see that is low is for the smallest scale

If you go to this page, you will see the dropdown for scale

https://angeliccreationsllc.com/products/laser-dollhouse-designs-ashley-victorian

Those are Laser Design houses 

http://www.laserdollhouses.com/online-store.php?disable_mobile=true#!/1-12-Scale-Dollhouses/c/8577030/offset=0&sort=priceDesc

32 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

which one were you looking at?  I was thinking of the Jasmine at one time, (I have a sweet Jersey named Jasmine lol) but am leaning heavily on doing some modifications of a pair of asters.  I did notice the price for the Jasmine was $60, but when you click on it you get $152 instead, but the $60 is for the 1:48 one  and the higher price is the 1:12 house

19 minutes ago, pgwyn said:

I got my Christmas fabric in.  I am so excited. I love all the little patterns.  I also went after Christmas shopping at Hobby Lobby and picked up a lot of miniature things to decorate with. Now all I have to do is find a house to put it all in.  Thinking now of the Sugar Plum.  I don't know if I want to start it now or wait until November to get in the spirit of next Christmas.

20171227_153858.jpg

Like the fabric, I was just searching for tiny Christmas fabric earlier today lol

It was the Jasmine, I noticed the price change but didn't notice the choices, I have never seen them like that on a site before but I see it now. Thank you for pointing it out.

Patti  it seems we are shadowing each other, I bought a ton of stuff yesterday as well. I found some Christmas fabric on the top box of my quilting stuff but it is something I have picked up recently and haven't put away right. My actual Christmas fabric box is at the bottom of the heap.ggrrhh. Imagine a closet with double bi fold doors, now picture it filled with Rubbermaid totes .There are 20 large totes in there. 5 high x 4 rows I have to move a whole stack  to get at it. I hope when I do there is some small stuff in there

I do have the Aster spare that I was going to make into a Gingerbread house but I think it is a bit small. How would you do a pair of Asters Barb

2 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

It was the Jasmine, I noticed the price change but didn't notice the choices, I have never seen them like that on a site before but I see it now. Thank you for pointing it out.

Patti  it seems we are shadowing each other, I bought a ton of stuff yesterday as well. I found some Christmas fabric on the top box of my quilting stuff but it is something I have picked up recently and haven't put away right. My actual Christmas fabric box is at the bottom of the heap.ggrrhh. Imagine a closet with double bi fold doors, now picture it filled with Rubbermaid totes .There are 20 large totes in there. 5 high x 4 rows I have to move a whole stack  to get at it. I hope when I do there is some small stuff in there

I do have the Aster spare that I was going to make into a Gingerbread house but I think it is a bit small. How would you do a pair of Asters Barb

Is it the small Jasmine or the large one I'm thinking about the 1/24 large Jasmine as a Christmas House the back half for the Santa's and the side for the workshop and elves sleeping quarters . I normally don't like a split house but think it's perfect for the Santa's 

I was thinking of the full size one. I would be making all my own people and I only have a couple of half size. I am not sure as yet whether I . I want regular people in or  a house with elves and Santa . my mind has not gone far enough with that  but either way it can't be half size, if it could I would use the Fairfield I have mostly built..