auction find

matt johnson

building my first dollhouse that I bought at a local auction house. it's the pierce. a beautiful Victorian. I have the base assembled, and almost have the stairs complete. I had to look up some building tips to assemble and found a wonderful and useful set of pictures to help out. the thing that wanted me to buy and build a dollhouse is that my dad built a Coventry cottage for my sister when I was about 6 or 7. what I'm wondering is what colors I should paint it with. I'm thinking light blue with white trim. should I paint and wallpaper the interior before I assemble? I am also thinking about putting siding on it. has anyone done this with this kit?

If you search the gallery here for "pierce siding" you'll find a few examples of Pierces that have had siding applied.

Here's one I found quickly.

If you dry fit the house (punch out the pieces and tape them together), you will find the area's that will need to be decorated before assembly. Often there are areas in a house that will be too difficult to get into after the house is put together.

Before the Pierce I was rehabbing/ rebuilding and bashing got destroyed in our move it was going to be Holly's House of Blues, pale blue stucco exterior with blueberry doors and trims with touches of white.

• Like 1

I'm building a Pierce currently - have been for a couple of years now.  Slightly regretting such a big house for my first build! :) I was always planning to clad the exterior with weatherboards (siding in the US).  Now that I'm up to the exterior I have realised that I shouldn't have followed the instructions quite so closely!  I see now that applying siding would have been preferable BEFORE putting in windows.  That is really important given how many oval windows there are in the Pierce!  So if you do want to clad - don't do as I did!!  I have now decided to stucco the majority of the house as it'll cover the electrical wiring that the siding was supposed to cover!  I have just completed making and painting the shingles for the tops of the walls in a gorgeous lilac colour.  The trims are a dark blue and I have a grey/blue for the main colour.  The good thing about Queen Anne style houses is that you can let your imagination run wild.  They used such an assortment of materials and colours in their design!  One of my towers is stone and I'm trying to decide how to do the other.  I'm now looking back on this build and seeing what I 'should have done' and would definitely do differently next time.  Feel free to drop me a message and I have pics of my build on my page.

Oval and other odd shaped windows are why I trace around the frame and do whatever exterior treatment trimming to fit around it.  Rebecca, you could lay your siding strip across the window and mark on the top & bottom where it will cross the frame, and then make a template of the frame nd match the marks on the template to trim the siding trip to fit.  It's awfully tedious, ever for me, but if you wanted to do your other tower with siding or shingles it wouldn't be as hideous as siding the entire house.

• Like 1