Anyone on here who sews mini park ranger outfits? for a roombox

RockawayRose

Hi everyone,  earlier this year my 20-year-old nephew passed away while hiking in Olympia National Park.  I'm going to be creating a roombox of his skills and hobbies to gift to my brother and sister-in-law.  Zach wanted to be a park ranger and I thought it might be nice to have a mini park ranger outfit and hat hanging on a hanger in the room.  Although I sew a little I don't really have skill with mini clothing and was wondering if anyone on here did or could point me in the direction of someone who does.

Here's a link to NPS Ranger outfits:

http://www.madetomeasuremag.com/clothes-make-the-ranger-national-park-service-uniforms-serve-a-vital-need

I love the Karin Smead dolls but it's not in my budget, and I think might be too painful for them to have a doll that looked like him in the box. He was an accomplished photographer and EDM DJ (Electronic Dance Music) so I will focus on that and his love of the outdoors.  I thought about a log cabin dollhouse but I think a smaller roombox might be more appreciated by them.

Thanks,

Arianna

Arianna, instead of an entire uniform, might you be able to find a Smokey the Bear hat in miniature? That could make note of his interest yet not be troublesome for the family.

NPS_inside.jpg

Or how about framing the NPS logo and hanging it on a wall?

NPS_patch.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like a very thoughtful gift. I agree with Kathie that the ranger patch would make a great wall hanging and not be as emotionally charged as a whole uniform might be.

My brother and SIL had brought home a hat like that, that he loved to wear, so I think your thoughts are very valuable about that.  I'm hesitant about the patch, only because the NPS were involved in the search effort and so I don't want to highlight his death but rather how he lived and his hopes and dreams...

Has anyone else here done a memorial roombox, room or dollhouse?  Curious as to what guided your decisions and how the process was for you. 

Arianna

6 minutes ago, RockawayRose said:

...I'm hesitant about the patch, only because the NPS were involved in the search effort and so I don't want to highlight his death...

I would think the uniform would have the same effect as the patch.  What about mini hiking poles in one corner and center the DJ station, turntables, decorate with dance group/ club posters?

• Like 1

Yes, Holly, I was thinking about that too.  It might be best to stay away from hiking paraphanalia all together - the one thing I want to avoid is giving them more pain - and highlight the photography and music as you say.  I'm going to create a false back with one of his beautiful pictures as the vista:

https://www.instagram.com/zachkrull/

24 minutes ago, RockawayRose said:

Yes, Holly, I was thinking about that too.  It might be best to stay away from hiking paraphanalia all together - the one thing I want to avoid is giving them more pain - and highlight the photography and music as you say.  I'm going to create a false back with one of his beautiful pictures as the vista:

https://www.instagram.com/zachkrull/

The pictures are exquisite. You know, I'm thinking just his photo of the land that he loved would be adequate to reflect his love of the outdoors in a gentle way. Any physical items relating to the outdoors may not be needed at all.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Arianna, I sort of feel that something that portrays what might have been may be difficult for his parents, but what he had actually achieved is something they can continue to be proud of

Arianna, Jeannine put into words what I was trying to express above. 

8 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

I think that including his love of hiking is OK. Yes he died hiking but I don’t think you should ignore it. If hiking was a big part of his life, I think it should be there.

That's why I suggested the pair of hiking poles tucked discretely into a corner.