favorite uses for Styfofoam?

shamrockgirl18

I use it when painting small doll parts, I stick pieces of wire coat hanger on it to make posts ,then  I  put my tiny arms legs etc on the wire ,works perfectly..If it is a big piece. I use it to when blocking miniature knitting, I gently wash the wool garment, lay it in the foam , pull into a perfect shape and use dress makers pins to hold it in place, leave to to dry and it has a lovely shape. I think it would work for fine crochet too but I don't crochet.

I did some unpacking today and had quite a bit, some of had crumbled into tiny  little balls and it did enter my head that mixed with paint it may be interesting as  textured surface but have not done it.

I also use it to hold small items for painting, like railing posts (drill a hole on the bottom, insert wire, stick into foam.) 

I also use it to create different heights in landscaping like raised flower beds, the bonus being you can just stick your flowers etc in the foam and they stay in place. At the moment I'm making a hillside, for my current build out of styrofoam. In mini terms it would be about 6 or seven feet high.

but if you are looking for some real inspiration, I follow this blog where the blogger has nearly completed a large dollhouse made entirely of styrofoam covered in joint compound. :D

http://www.sticksandstonesandstyrofoam.com/?m=1

Fairly thin sheets work nicely for "planting" for landscapes.  I used a piece for my Coventry Cottage's veggie garden:

South Georgia house.jpg

I have also used them for bed mattresses.  I have some odd shaped pieces that came with DH's new flagpole that will work perfectly for painting/ staining baluster spindles and furniture legs.

• Like 2

Lime other mentioned,cut in shapes for föowerbeds, also as flowerpot fillin prior to adding the "sort" rocks and riverbeds, but also for pinning down fabric that are spray starched to get good folk where one wants them. 

Martha Stewart uses it to hold up her Gingerbread houses, for example that's what she used when she constructed her Downton Abbey Gingerbread House

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=martha+stwart+gingerbread+downton+abbey&&view=detail&mid=80F37F43C4DE283DCDA680F37F43C4DE283DCDA6&&FORM=VDRVRV