Stuck on door color

Thimble Hall

Hi, I am really stuck on the door color for Joe's house so far I have had it 3 different colors and it doesn't look right. I would appreciate help, the house is in my album called  Red Riding Hood trio is anyone has the time  Thank you

You know I just knew someone was going to say that.. I hate green so I have been avoiding it  like the plague but I have sort of expected me to have to go with it as it is the only color I haven't tried.. I can handle a dark green, Hunter green  I will look up Forest Green or  maybe a green  if it leans a tad to the blue, not as far as turquoise though .but going the other way and it starts to go gold or yellow I absolutely hate it

My daughter came in and said it needs red so  I had shades  of red., the last one was a deep red which picks up the reddish tone in the woodwork but it doesn't look right, then I started to drape bits of fabric over the door and none of that looked right either. I didn't try green. I guess painting it the same color as the woodwork would do but it is so boring and this poor little house is very plain as it is. I have window boxes  too and they would probably be the same color. Now I wished I had gone with a whiter color for the stucco because that is where the problem  starts it is a  deep biscuit but it shows pink when I put a color to it

6 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I guess painting it the same color as the woodwork would do but it is so boring and this poor little house is very plain as it is. I have window boxes  too and they would probably be the same color. Now I wished I had gone with a whiter color for the stucco because that is where the problem  starts it is a  deep biscuit but it shows pink when I put a color to it

I think making the door and window boxes the same color as the woodwork is a good choice. It works so well with the biscuit colored stucco. The boring could be countered with color from the flowers in the boxes, plants by the front door, and perhaps liven up the door a bit with a grated window?

I'm with Kathie on the door & window box color.  This is a bachelor's woodland home.  What about shiny brass door fittings?  When you said you weren't going to use the settles by the front door I suggested planters, and Kathie's mentioning colorful plants would be an excellent idea.

I don't think Joe would be spending a lot of time polishing brass. I think brass on the front door is a good idea, but aged, with a nice patina, like the picture link I posted, not shiny.

4 hours ago, BigC said:

Pop a picture of the actual house into this thread Jeannine 

4 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I can't, it won't take it,

There are photos of the house in the Red Riding Hood album. Click here.

• Like 1

Thanks guys...I have to go to work now but when I get home I'll rough up a few photoshop images of the house with some colour way options (in the door section) if that will help..just to give you some idea of which direction you maybe wish to take Jeannine....Thats if you haven't already decided :) 

Regards C

TBH...I think Joe would be into more earthy colours, something from nature, not glossy and shiny, the door wouldn't be pristine either probably have a few marks and dings in its makeup...How about a lichen colour

A mid aged green. This calm and muted green is named after the ever changing, subtle colour of creeping algae which ages stone so beautifully. It has a quiet and subtle feel to it, due to its underlying blue tone, and is perfect for use in the garden where it feels totally at one with nature.

100019.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you for the effort I really appreciate but not one I would choose.I will probably do it just the same color as the wood I think which was my original plan. I was hoping for something different but nothing seems to suit it.

• Like 1

I love the blue but there are no blue tones in anything, I have a piece of blue standing in front of it as we speak to watch for a while, the trouble is the stucco is a sort of peachy color rather than a biscuit. That green is like an Emerald green and I don't mind that one.

I am going to try and age the house a bit as it looks too pristine so when I figure out how to do that it may change the whole door thing. If I really get stuck more I will repaint it more white color or a very delicate grey and then go with the blue.

It must be the quilter in me I guess..matching colors, it has to be just right.

I am probably way out in left field here so be gentle.

For some reason his cottage reminds me a Bavarian style house.(Probably because it is  based on a fairy tale) I know stenciling is not very masculine but you could add color to the shutters and brown door by adding details like that?

Carrie, that is a lovely idea and I intend to use it on another house I am doing but this is for a trio of houses twith a UK theme and never have I seen it there, very pretty though.

Holly don't forget my stucco is home made and not absorbent, I was thinking chalks then spray maybe. or a dry brushed paint.