Subscriptions

Hooknink

Hi again, I was wondering if anyone subscribes/d to any miniatures/dollhouse hardcopy, mail person delivered magazines.

I'm looking for which you think are good, bad, worth the money or not. I found dollhouse miniatures, scenes, etc. but I'm not interested in auto renewal. The 3 I saw have that and I believe are published by the same people.

Thanks

Hi, Molly. I bought some magazines when I first got interested in miniatures but found that once I'd thumbed through them, I never picked them up again. Any questions I have I get answered here, and seeing the wonderful work that forum members do is more inspiration than I can handle. :D Some members have collections of magazines, other tear them up and put the articles in notebooks for future reference. It will be interesting to see what responses this thread elicits as the the relative value of the various publications. 

• Like 1

I'm one who cut the how-to articles and saved them in ring binders and I use them for making furniture, decorating ideas and all sorts of things.  I don't cut up my American Miniaturist copies only because of the size and the way they printed their articles.  I stopped all that when the price went up, the ads increased and the actual content diminished.  Pinterest and this forum yield as much or more info than the magazines ever did, and without subscription or newsstand costs and ads.

I find images on the Internet.  If it's something that I want to keep, I copy and paste into a Powerpoint.  I have Powerpoints for fireplaces, kitchens, floors, etc.  Some images are miniatures and some are real-life.  Then when I'm making something such as  a fireplace, I just look at the Powerpoint file for ideas.  I'm constantly adding new images.  I do the same thing for articles but put them in Word.

I choose not to subscribe. If I really love it,  I will buy a single copy at the higher price. I am lucky to have a bookshop that carries a lot of craft magazines so I can often look at an issue before buying. I also find plenty of magazines at the local mini show - they are old, but I get to choose what I want and they are cheap.

I bought a ton of Nutshell News archives on ebay for pennies a copy. Awesome deals to be had and some great craftspeople in Nutshell News that are no longer with us.

Pinterest has led me to tutorials aplenty - I keep a page of links or save images.

Here's one that's free:  http://www.artisansinminiature.com/  If you click on their "Archives" links, you can get to all the issues going back to issue 9 (they are currently at issue 65).  I have saved them all in a folder.  They have great tutorials and inspiration, particularly in the earlier editions.

• Like 1

I still love a hard copy magazine but I just don’t have room for them. I do buy the odd digital one and occasionally subscribe if the price is right, but I do find that I am not that interested in most of the content. I also find more inspiration on forums and blogs. And the magazines generally don’t cover the stuff I want to learn.