Ok, break time’s over!

IveNoClue

It feels like I was away from life for a couple of months, but it was just the holidays! I had to focus on a year-long project that was a Christmas gift, and like an idiot I volunteered to host family Christmas. It required me to kick into hyper-drive. 

Now that the insanity has left me (!) I can clean up the crafting bomb site, put away Christmas, and remind myself I have a dollhouse to enjoy.

Now...what was I doing? Oh yeah, the roof! 

• Like 1

It definitely feels as if break time is over. I put together unit #1 of the 4 shelving units for the garage and got all of the Christmas decorations stowed away. This time in clearly marked boxes. I'm sure I won't miss the chaos of "where's ...?" next year. :D Time to get back into the craft room. Mine, too, looks like a bomb crater. Need to put away everything that was just dumped in there after the move.

What was I doing ... months ago? The Beacon Hill porch, if I recall correctly.

• Like 2

I’m putting Christmas away in an organized manner too. There’s a first time for everything! 

I love Christmas and all its crazy decorations and I love when it goes away and I’m left with space, light and the ability to move around without knocking it over and being covered in glitter. 

• Like 3

I took everything down yesterday too! As I was boxing it up, I started thinking about not putting it up next year. :ermm:

I had to take all my mini stuff down to put up my Christmas tree. I am hosting a bridal shower for one of my nieces around mid January, and I am not putting my mini-stuff up until that is over. It has been depressing not having the creative outlet.

I made those mini lantern scenes for gifts this year (late nites making trees while trying to get ready for a family gathering Christmas Eve...), so yeah- my mini work room also looks like a bomb went off in there!  LOL  

Our decorations are still up- and will remain up until my son and DIL come for a visit next week!  Until then I am working on organizing the closet & file cabinets in our office and making room for a new shelf/cabinet unit.  I also need to purchase a few new containers to store my Christmas stuff a little better for next year!

So what was I doing a few weeks ago?  Oh yes- painting the shutters on the client rehab house!

58 minutes ago, Mid-life madness said:

I took everything down yesterday too! As I was boxing it up, I started thinking about not putting it up next year. :ermm:

I had to take all my mini stuff down to put up my Christmas tree. I am hosting a bridal shower for one of my nieces around mid January, and I am not putting my mini-stuff up until that is over. It has been depressing not having the creative outlet.

Boy do I get this it is depressing not to actually work a house . So I have a very small table set up with items I'm working on to go into the next build . Who would of though dollhouses and miniatures would become such an obsession/outlet.  Enjoy your shower 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NellBell said:

I see a theme here bomb goes of in craft room . The bomb came to my house too. Time to semi organize to organized and it seems I can't find any thing or is it I just miss the hunt and the joy of finding what iI'm looking for .

When I moved my mini stuff, and organized....I found so much stuff I had forgot about! I must have 5 bottles of Aileen's glue in various sizes. And, tons of white craft paint. When I am working on something and hit the craft stores, I realize I grab a lot of things 'just in case' .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

It has been depressing not having the creative outlet.

I just realized this is what I had been missing and didn’t know it and what lead me here.  When I made those room boxes for my daughter last summer, it sparked a flame. Usually her papa does that sort of thing but I got tired of papa getting all the glory.  It was after I did the kitchen that I knew I wanted to do more...for myself.  Prior to crafting I used to just fill time and did not really experience any type of fulfillment.  I don’t think my wife gets this part. Ok enough psycho babble...thanks for the light bulb moment.   

• Like 3

Spent some time cleaning up the craft room today. Some things got kinda organized, most things just got "put away". I've got a few boxes of stuff still in the garage that need to be brought in to the workroom area, but not sure I'm up to that today. I need to spend a full day taking everything out of random drawers and reorganizing, but no use doing it until everything is all in there. Maybe one day soon. But for now it's back looking presentable.

57 minutes ago, Keifer said:

I just realized this is what I had been missing and didn’t know it and what lead me here.  When I made those room boxes for my daughter last summer, it sparked a flame. Usually her papa does that sort of thing but I got tired of papa getting all the glory.  It was after I did the kitchen that I knew I wanted to do more...for myself.  Prior to crafting I used to just fill time and did not really experience any type of fulfillment.  I don’t think my wife gets this part. Ok enough psycho babble...thanks for the light bulb moment.   

When I was in nursing school and I did my Psych rotation, the private hospital had this unbelievable craft room that was used for occupational therapy. (I did not enjoy my Psych rotation mainly because the students don't have keys to leave the facility.) I was a little jealous of the patients because they got to have all this fun!!

My personal theory is that we are all born with an innate need to create, you can see it with kids playing with Play-doh, crayons etc....There really are very few people who don't have it, whether it is in the form of cooking or welding. My husband has it in the form of restoring old cars. When you reconnect with it, is such a freeing thing. Your wife is probably in mother mode, and it really does suck the creativity out you. I was having a lot of guilt and feeling selfish when I started this adventure, while my husband never let go of his creative outlets. Just give her some encouragement to pursue a hobby and she will get it. I used to call my husband a hoarder when he wouldn't let me toss old car parts...now the tables have turned.

• Like 3

I grew up with my mom not allowing me to take art classes or be really creative. She always said, “You have no artistic talent, just like me.” (Um, how do you know if you don’t try?!) She also used to roll her eyes and diss her fellow nurses who were crafty. She said, “Crafty” like it was VD.

Then she retired, got excessively bored and discovered gigantic craft stores. She ended up teaching herself just about every craft she put her hands on. She was extremely good at Crosstitch and embroidery.  And she renovated and decorated a Victorian dollhouse. 

Irony much?  Now one of my sisters makes fun of me for being crafty. She says I am channelling mom. But I can think of quite a few things she channels from our mother and I think I made out lucky. 

• Like 2

Well gals, I have to admit my craft room is tidy and organized already but this room was only built on a year ago so all my totes and bookcases that fill it where custom made to fit so I really shouldn't be smug. My Mum was a knitter but more than that she was a cook,a messy cook, Dad was the clean up after guy. She used to say "if you kitchen is not messy you are not cooking enough" Nuff said I think.