Beacon Hill - risers and treads

Squig

You should have equal numbers of the two sizes or perhaps one more of the smaller ones.  The wider ones are your treads and the narrower ones are your risers.  I try to fit one of the stringers in my magnetic gluing jig, but if that doesn't work you can make a lovely jig from Lego bricks to hold thing square until the glue dries.  I stain the treads and any other stair parts I don't want to prime & paint.  I install the risers first, to one stringer and then place the second stringer in the jig and flip the first and glue the risers to the second stringer.  Then I prop the staircase up with clamps and install the treads.  Depending on what I use for replacement balusters I drill holes in one side of the tread to seat them; I haven't yet found a satisfactory way to get the balusters to sit straight on the treads to receive the banister rail otherwise.

• Like 2

Yes that is correct, the risers are smaller than the threads, and 1 riser is shorter that the others (the starting one, this should be specified in the instructions). When I punched them out I separeted them in two piles to help me not mix them up, the diference is minimal but required for the steps to sit flat after assembled.

I keep the board that I pop the pieces out of right beside me so that if I'm not sure about certain pieces, I can put them back in the board like a puzzle and check the schematic to see what they are.  This comes in especially handy with stairs because often there are subtle differences in top and bottom steps and risers.

• 1 year later...

And if you mix them up....No biggie. There is almost always a fix. I didn't like how much the treads hung out past the risers, so I sanding them with my Dremel. I had glued them on first and decided I didn't like the look. After they dried I sanded and stained the edges again. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

When you put them together are there absolutely no differences in the width?  The risers would be just slightly narrower. If not, it's not a biggie.  If the pieces are absolutely the same size you can dry fit them on the stringers and mark on the back of the risers how much they stick up above the stringer and trim them down to the height of the riser on the stringer.