What type of house is this?

Glow

Hi all! Would anyone be able to help me ID my dolls house? I have looked around everywhere I can think of but can't seem to find a match. It's about 80x40x70 (centimetres) in size. The front is hinged in three places and it seems to have been a kit (some of the windows are a bit wonky etc.) I only have one photo at the moment but can take more when I get home. Any help appreciated :D

IMG_20180103_131609_542.jpg

I'm not very familiar with vintage models, this is the 1st time I see this dollhouse and it's quite interesting, the arquitectural details are a bit unusual. Is the roof pediment and friese part of the original structure? The windows kinda look like houseworks, but not sure. One thing is for certain thou, it's an european style dollhouse.

Thanks for the replies! I've taken a few more photos showing it a bit better, though I'm still no closer to finding out! It doesn't really matter I suppose, though it would be fun to know, especially if I end up needing spare parts. I'm a bit wary of trying to remove windows in case I damage them, but they are pretty wonky :ohyeah: I'd also prefer to have them off when painting it, and it does definitely need a lick of paint.

Ashley, yes it seems to be part of the original structure - or at least something was meant to be there, as it has a gap above the "doors" of the facade and the edge of the roof.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

It looks like there ought to be a porch, or at least a portico and stoop at the front door.

Yes, I was thinking so too - the door is slightly off the ground, but not high enough for a staircase. It also has a small ledge all along the front (which is damaged on the left side and gone in the middle, but can be seen on the right), so that seems to add up. Or alternatively, as Jeannine says, it could be that it had an attached basement.

Edit: Or, now that I look at it again, the ledge may not have continued on the middle panel; it could be that something else was attached there.

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

It's got a bit of a vintage streets ahead feel. I don't know if it is, but I'd probably email them and ask if it's one of their older models.

That's a great idea, thank you! I've emailed Streets Ahead now, and also Dollshouse Emporium while I was at it, to see if they may have stocked it in the past. Hope either of them might be able to shed some more light on it :)

Edited by Glow

Sorry about the double posting, adding a photo :)

I think you're right Holly! I hadn't looked closely before but there are four holes that look like they would have had pillars/columns attached for a porch or similar.

20180104_232242-1328x747.jpg

• Like 1

From the up close pictures and the interior the windows and doors seam to be part of the original structure, or at least built for it. Definitely has the remains of a small porch there, it's very interesting because the architecture seams to have a mish mash of diferent styles. I'm with Jeanninne here, my guess would be either from the UK or Germany.

I've just found this house on Gumtree Australia. Looks like a knock off of yours.. Unfortunately they don't say what house it is but at least you can see the porch is intact in the pictures. That should start you in the right direction to salvage your porch

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/labrador/toys-indoor/dolls-house/1171128276

$_20.PNG

Your's looks to be better built and has different dormer windows & middle windows and better pediment trim.. but very similar, no?

I don't think it is DHE, there is a site that gives all of the discontnued ones on and I can't see it there. It looks more Sreets Ahead to me although the thickness of the front panel is a bit different. I can't quite figure that out

On 08/01/2018, 08:47:06, Samusa said:

I've just found this house on Gumtree Australia. Looks like a knock off of yours.. Unfortunately they don't say what house it is but at least you can see the porch is intact in the pictures. That should start you in the right direction to salvage your porch

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/labrador/toys-indoor/dolls-house/1171128276

Your's looks to be better built and has different dormer windows & middle windows and better pediment trim.. but very similar, no?

Awesome! That must be the same! The windows are different as you say, but I'm pretty sure it has been a kit so that could explain it. Everything else is spot on though :D And the funny thing is, I found mine through Gumtree UK - and that's actually the colour I'm painting mine in!

The porch is really cute. I'm not sure how to restore it, but I feel I have to try!

5 hours ago, Anna said:

Looks a bit similar to the houses found on one of the Danish sites called "HandelshusetVega".

It does look a bit similar to the Marseille listed there. The room boxes are gorgeous too, although now I'm getting a bit sidetracked :)

11 hours ago, Jeannine said:

I don't think it is DHE, there is a site that gives all of the discontnued ones on and I can't see it there. It looks more Sreets Ahead to me although the thickness of the front panel is a bit different. I can't quite figure that out

I contacted both Streets Ahead and DHE and although Streets Ahead hasn't responded, DHE did. They couldn't find it amongst their discontinued lines but recommended contacting Streets Ahead. I hope they respond, although the site does say for only resellers to contact so we'll see.

Edited by Glow
  • Like 1