Beacon Hill - Dollhouse Noob

Squig

On 10/02/2018, 19:48:57, nakeddisco said:

Wow thank you soooo much! That was so helpful! 

I got the stairs in, and it was terrifying, I thought the house was going to bust but then it just popped in place and I'm still not sure how! ;)

has anyone added different front doors to a beacon hill? 

Glad I could help! I know exactly what you mean, I had to twist the rails sliding them in but thankfuly the wood is very flexible. The hardest struggle I had so far were the walls of the third floor bedroom... there was a corner between the tower and the mansard roof that took a lot of tape and sweat to glue together lol.

I have added diferent doors to my beacon hill, for the front I used a Houseworks paladian double door (link). It's similar to the base door that comes with the house but it has extra glass on the top, I wanted a bit more light in that room. These require modified door openings so it's usually best to cut them before gluing the walls.

3 hours ago, wormwoodz said:

Glad I could help! I know exactly what you mean, I had to twist the rails sliding them in but thankfuly the wood is very flexible. The hardest struggle I had so far were the walls of the third floor bedroom... there was a corner between the tower and the mansard roof that took a lot of tape and sweat to glue together lol.

I have added diferent doors to my beacon hill, for the front I used a Houseworks paladian double door (link). It's similar to the base door that comes with the house but it has extra glass on the top, I wanted a bit more light in that room. These require modified door openings so it's usually best to cut them before gluing the walls.

I bought the same front door just the other day!!! haha, great minds think alike ;)  Your dollhouse is AMAZING!!! I almost fell out of my chair when I saw your pics! WOW!!! I've been considering doing similar exterior colors that you're doing actually, but I haven't committed yet...its such a big decision! I am in the process of finalizing the staircase railings with stain, and I have some wallpaper up and flooring in. I'll try to figure out how to post some pics today haha. I was going to do LED lights, but the guys that run the dollhouse store here have now convinced me to do electric lights, so I need to get some lights tomorrow and start running wire before I go any farther at this point. So much to think about! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Hey Brandon ! How is your BH coming along? Pictures?

Hi! It's coming along nicely! I have the stairs in now and two lights hung! I have just added the third floor. Haven't had a lot of time to commit to it lately unfortunately! I have tried to upload pictures but I always get an error message saying the file is too big :( 

4 minutes ago, WestPaces said:

Me too, same problem :( I'm at about the same stage but no lighting though, next house maybe :D:D

My house has its own Instagram account though, BeaconHillDollhouse, you can see pics there if you have Instagram! 

• 4 months later...

Hi back again! (Someday I will finish these stairs!) heres where I’m at right now and I’m running into a snag. Instruction say put on cornerbposts on sheet 27 but I don’t see anything on instructions identifying the cornerbposts (please see pic)

can someone clear this up? Thank you!

1BFE7BF8-2A5C-4F46-8029-44AEC7435AA5.jpeg

8D8D53AB-E3FD-4149-A9E9-3B28DB3C6A8C.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I punched out those posts but I’m still at a loss on how to attach them to the post ends. (The Beacon Hill really needs a couple of pages devoted to just the stairs!) if anyone has advice or close pictures of the second and third floor posts and how to glue them on that would be so helpful! Thank you!

Ok I have officially finished the stairs in my Beacon Hill, it could be better and I ended up just punching out all the peices and just putting them wherever they appeared to fit. Really, I don’t know if anyone from Greanleaf monitors these forums but the instructions for the stairs, particularly the last finishing steps, really needs help! 

anyways onward and upward!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Squig said:

Ok I have officially finished the stairs in my Beacon Hill, it could be better and I ended up just punching out all the peices and just putting them wherever they appeared to fit. Really, I don’t know if anyone from Greanleaf monitors these forums but the instructions for the stairs, particularly the last finishing steps, really needs help! 

anyways onward and upward!

We have several moderators and a couple of administrators who do check up on the forum, which is why we have such a safe, friendly place.

• 1 month later...

Back again! (At this rate the Beacon Hill will take me 3 years to finish lol)

having a bit of an issue putting on the 3rd floor walls that contain some of the roof supports The roof support seems to be conflicting with a tab that’s sticking up on the right side. Please look at pics, it explains better than I can. Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks

554115BB-DBF5-4449-B0CE-30B2FBE2E4F5.jpeg

C029DE8E-70A8-409B-8EDA-62D7B79B398C.jpeg

44258D1A-7B5F-47DD-B408-9EED0182750C.jpeg

Edited by Squig
Duplicate photos

On 7/23/2018, 5:32:46, havanaholly said:

We have several moderators and a couple of administrators who do check up on the forum, which is why we have such a safe, friendly place.

HavanaHolly, of course I have no issues with the forum, it’s great! I was referring to the instructions for the stairs may need to be fleshed out a bit in future releases of the dollhouse kit.

On 7/23/2018, 5:32:46, havanaholly said:

HavanaHolly, of course I have no issues with the forum, it’s great! I was referring to the instructions for the stairs may need to be fleshed out a bit in future releases of the dollhouse kit.

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

honestly, if it were me, I’d just cut the tab off with my craft knife after checking my placement was correct. 

Thanks, I think you’re right and that’s kinda what I did, also looked at a YouTube video and I guess the way that all lines up is normal

3 hours ago, Squig said:

I misunderstood your original post, as the moderators and admins work the forum, and the instructions are done by the folks who design the kits, which is completely separate.

• 4 weeks later...

Back again and I need a little more advice please. I'm working on the bay windows on my beacon Hill and I'm supposed to attach the "from bay extension" and then the "front bay trim" on top of the front bay roof. The thing is theres no area for the extension to sit on, it pretty much lines up with the outside of the bay, is that where it should be instead if resting on top? Thanks all

15389763645539189195723041879476.jpg

14 hours ago, SewMini said:

That’s correct. Here’s a good Youtube video on constructing the bay windows

Ok thank you, I glued the extension around the perimeter of the bays and then attached the trim on top. Instructions were a little vague but this looks right... Onward to the tower piece!

• 1 month later...

Hello getting near done here in my Beacon Hill and I'm getting worried about the shingles and clapboard siding. I kinda thought there would be a place in the instructions that would say "INSTALL SHINGLES/SIDING NOW" but nope. So now I just got to Step U: Shutters and  I really think those will need to sit on the siding. Have I really screwed up at this point? I'm looking at the windows and trim I will need to work around and I definitely wish I would have done the shingles and siding earlier. :( Any advice?

15436935178731197804448094792652.jpg

• Like 1

Actually I think this is probably a great time to do shingles and siding, though you will have to make some interesting curved cuts into siding to accommodate those upper corner embellishments. I installed siding before proceeding with the windows and bay roofs, and had to accommodate for the increased thickness.

• Like 2