New Miniature themed series

Mid-life madness

I enjoyed “The Miniaturist” by Jessie Burton very much. A great historical insight to these early cabinets. Avid readers don’t care for the writing style, but I didn’t mind it at all. I hope the show becomes available here in the US.

Sounds like an interesting book, I may look it up on Amazon since I will probably never see the movie.  I have been reading and browsing the older Tasha Tudor book Tasha Tudor's dollhouse.  My niece was a Tasha Tudor fan and her husband gave me the book after she passed away, Although it is an amazing dollhouse it is not the original, and she must have had buckets of money to hire and buy all that stuff.  It has running water, and the stove really works according to the book.  I remember going to the website years ago and seeing pictures of her boxes all dressed up for Christmas, that is all gone now. 

I asked my sister in England to keep an eye out for this show since she originally recommended the book to me. Here is her response:

“Was on over Christmas here. It was good but missed in a lot of the detail and intrigue of the book.”

I found it online and have watched the first hour. The sets are lovely, very Dutch looking. I found the story rather creepy, but now I know part of why. BTW, it bugs me that Petronella is absolutely nothing like the real woman, who was a wealthy widow when she married Brandt, but that's just me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grazhina said:

I found it online and have watched the first hour. The sets are lovely, very Dutch looking. I found the story rather creepy, but now I know part of why. BTW, it bugs me that Petronella is absolutely nothing like the real woman, who was a wealthy widow when she married Brandt, but that's just me.

Did you stream it from a British site?

I love period dramas...so I can't wait to see the set and costumes.

1 hour ago, grazhina said:

It’s more about the period than Petronella Oortman’s real life. It’s historical fiction. More info on how the author dealt with this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/books/2014/08/29/jessie-burton-on-petronella-oortman-and-her-beautiful-cabinet-house/14757513/

• Like 1

The link demands I disable my ad blocker, which I'm not about to do. Bummer. Oh, well. I downloaded the book to my Kindle and am planning to read it while I recover from surgery the end of the month. :) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

The link demands I disable my ad blocker, which I'm not about to do. Bummer. Oh, well. I downloaded the book to my Kindle and am planning to read it while I recover from surgery the end of the month. :) 

That's odd, because my ad blocker's always on and it worked fine for me.

Am I the only one.. After watching the trailers I don't fancy the show at all, the book may be good but the show didn't seem realistic to me. their speech and mannerisms  are not typical of the period, the clothes don't fit, it just didn't come across to me as well done. I love period dramas but this didn't grab me one bit..actually one thing did, I enjoyed seeing the stuff in the house. I realize there is a lot of fantasy in it but that shouldn't affect the things I found lacking. I was disappointed because I really wanted to see it.

36 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Am I the only one.. After watching the trailers I don't fancy the show at all, the book may be good but the show didn't seem realistic to me. their speech and mannerisms  are not typical of the period, the clothes don't fit, it just didn't come across to me as well done. I love period dramas but this didn't grab me one bit..actually one thing did, I enjoyed seeing the stuff in the house. I realize there is a lot of fantasy in it but that shouldn't affect the things I found lacking. I was disappointed because I really wanted to see it.

There is a reason the clothes don’t fit one character but I’m not going to be a spoiler. I suggest you read the book. Trailers don’t tell the whole story.

I’m no expert on period clothing so I just googled late 1600’s women’s clothing and the balloon sleeves appear to be normal for the lady of the house.  But I didn’t see anything  in the old portraits so bright and colorful as those blue dresses. I’m going to go back to the book to find the chapter about her clothing.

4 hours ago, Sable said:

Ok, I refreshed my memory concerning the dress. It was deliberate that it is oversized on her, it’s not a wardrobe production error. There is a reason for it.

All these little bits are really intriguing. Can't wait to begin reading!