Ruined Clothing

Sable

Do you wear special cloths when working on your projects? I seem to think I’ll never get glue or paint on my everyday clothes but somehow I always manage to mess them up. I can’t keep changing clothes all day since I’m always running in and out.  I guess I should invest in a smock or hijack one of my husband’s old shirts. But anything too bulky just gets in the way. Any suggestions? 

Sometimes I throw on a light weight windbreaker that is not bulky, I have one that has glue, paint and a lot of the times Angora fur on it lol.  They are often just one layer of material, I usually get a men's size so it is longer, you always get weird looks in the men's dept trying on clothing!

• Like 1

I have a couple of pairs of work jeans with holes in the knees, covered in paint and dried glue. I call them my "hangar pants" because when I built my first dollhouse, it worked on it in the hangar where my boyfriend was building a real life airplane. And then I have a smock - a ratty hoodie that's a size or two too big for me, purchased many years ago for like $3 at the Gap outlet, that can be zipped up to cover up whatever shirt I'm wearing. It's also covered in paint and dried glue!

Sometimes I don't feel like changing into those, and try to be careful. I don't usually spill stuff on myself, but I'm so used to wiping my paint/glue covered fingers on my clothes that I sometimes do it out of habit.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, L Swearengin said:

Scrubs.  Never lose my knives or pencils.  Pockets every where.  They are cheap, and was well.  If I get paint on them, oh well.  They are scrubs.    And s sper comfy 

well I certainly have a lot of scrubs laying around here, maybe I should put them to good use

• Like 1

I have a couple of shop aprons I put on when I know I'm going to paint & glue, when I think of it.  My rule of thumb is that if someone comments on a stain or spot I'll tell them where it came from and possibly start a conversation.  My very most comfortable outdoor pants are also my go-to indoor pants (beaucoup pockets) and when we were redecorating the RL bath area around the new tub and replacing floor tiles I sat on a brushful of the stuff we were sticking the tiles down with, so I have a lovely white swash across one side of my butt.  It doesn't show when I'm sitting in my kayak and so far I notice people tend to want to ignore it.

• Like 1

I have a bunch of those pyjamas they give out on flights in first and business class (I work for an airline so lots of travel and upgrades are part of the perks. :D ) They are my crafting clothes. I always get them to give me the extra large size (and I make my husband get them as well when he flies).. I've probably got 20 or 30 pairs and they all are in some state of paint/glue stained glory. I wear them around the house on a craft day.. my husband threatens to throw the worst ones out regularly.. I threaten he wont get dinner if he tries it. :D 

Because I get the extra large and they are elastasiced they fit right over my normal clothing for a quick job. 

I have to wear a lab coat when working, it's both for protection of myself and my clothes, I try to be careful but I always end up ruining them as well lol. Also mask + gloves and glasses. At home I just want to relax, I try not to use any toxic products and just wear plain old clothes that are already ruined, whatever makes me feel confortable.

If you can't change clothes regularly I'd suggest getting a lab coat, easy to put on and off. I've still ruined some of my clothes wearing one but it's often the most practical solution.

7 minutes ago, wormwoodz said:

I have to wear a lab coat when working, it's both for protection of myself and my clothes, I try to be careful but I always end up ruining them as well lol. Also mask + gloves and glasses. At home I just want to relax, I try not to use any toxic products and just wear plain old clothes that are already ruined, whatever makes me feel confortable.

If you can't change clothes regularly I'd suggest getting a lab coat, easy to put on and off. I've still ruined some of my clothes wearing one but it's often the most practical solution.

I have to admit the best part of retirement is not having to wear gloves, masks, eye protection and lab coats all the time!   I have friends that garden with gloves and try to get me to, I used to say I like the feel of the earth when I am gardening, but there also was the thing that I had to wear gloves for much of the 40 years that I worked in Laboratories.  We didn't start out wearing gloves and all the rest and it was a very hard transition.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I have to admit the best part of retirement is not having to wear gloves, masks, eye protection and lab coats all the time!   I have friends that garden with gloves and try to get me to, I used to say I like the feel of the earth when I am gardening, but there also was the thing that I had to wear gloves for much of the 40 years that I worked in Laboratories.  We didn't start out wearing gloves and all the rest and it was a very hard transition.  

Definitely, gloves are what annoys me the most specially when I have to wear them for several hours. I usually get in "the zone" while working, so I tend forget that I'm geared up for a chemical hazard disaster, but whenever I want to take a quick break and have to remove all that stuff I just feel painfully sore and itchy. I should probably wear gloves at home too but it's so annoying I always try to avoid them. I have gotten used to work boots thou, they feel as confortable as slippers at this point lol.

The trick I learned with gloves is rubbing gobs of an emollient like Aquaphor into your hands after you've washed off the glove ick and dried your hands.  I use a store brand, but I checked the label & it's identical; and now that I'm retired I use it wherever I have dry skin.

Since I practically lived in kitchen aprons while working at my cake business, the habit continued into the dollhouse-making.  Of course there were plenty of times when I was ready to leave for work and thought to myself "I'm gonna do just this one little thing on that project...." (sans apron, no less).  As you can imagine, most of those times I went to work with a spot of extra color on my clothes.   Last nite I was working on the last little Christmas tree...didn't think I needed an apron for such a project.....opened a new bottle of glue - and promptly spilled it on my clean sweat pants.  blargh.