What have you learned from this forum

NellBell

Tonight I am reflecting on what I have learned since being on this forum. I was doing this before I break open the Pierce which I'm nervous about since it's the biggest house so far and I seem to be procrastinating . The first houses I did so far  I did by just digging in. Now I know I've made some mistakes that will come back at me down the road .

Here's my list of new lessons 

Dry fit, Sand, prime the wood , NO GLUE GUN,I now have some new recomended tools, better glue ,  There are no stupid ??? , just enjoy . 

But best of all I've learned is the world is really full of thoughtful kind people and how much fun it is to see everyones work . Looking forward to seeing everyones work in 2018.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, NellBell said:

But best of all I've learned is the world is really full of thoughtful kind people

This, I agree, is the best part of this forum. Sharing the tricks of the trade is useful, but it's the people who make me keep coming back here. 

• Like 2

I believe the folks on here care about your projects as much as you do and no matter how many questions you ask there is always someone to patiently explain.. Another thing, the support goes much further than dollhouses, it is like a big caring family and they are there for you...whatever.

re houses.. I have learned I am not the only one who shelves things and comes back to them and more important  it is OK.

• Like 2

I have learned that what works for someone else might not work for me (MDF just does not like me, and the feeling is mutual), and that's OK.  That trying for realism (even in fantasy) trumps perfection in mini.   That every Forum member I have had the great good fortune to meet in person is just as nice (or even nicer) than other friends; I think that's because we all "get it" about minis.

• Like 3

The most important thing I learned was that the site existed and that I wanted to Join!!! This was after stumbling across a photo of a member adding faux stone to her Beacon Hill in 2009 Since then the ideas and inspirations have been boundless.

• Like 1

I have learned everything that seems impossible, is possible.  You are the most helpful bunch of people, and no one judges anything.  I would never have thought to make rocks and bricks out of egg cartons.  Little things like that make this a fun place to be.  

• Like 2

If I could sum it up I would say...new things.  I know thats rather vague and I could go into detail about how I learned how to make siding look weathered or how we’ve all learned that cork can be a good option for brick :D  For reasons I’m not sure of, I was in a place where I wasn't learning anything new.  So I’ve learned new things about a craft that excites me and I’ve learned new things about myself and I have you all to thank for that. 

#Grateful 

• Like 2

I have learned that miniaturists are a generous bunch of artists. I haven't found anyone unwilling to share their techniques.

I learned that miniatures are a form of art and it is healing to express yourself.

Thanks guys, you are the best!.

• Like 2

Gosh, just about everything I know about building dollhouses comes from here. Egg carton, how to wallpaper.. how to use templates, lighting tricks, what tools to use, the different glues to use on different jobs, the best order of things (for me.. :) multiple opinions help you settle on your own way keeping the best parts of everyone elses process.) etc, etc, etc Bashing!!.. didn't even know people bashed their dollhouses!

But the best thing for me about this forum apart from the friendship is the support (for minis and other stuff). When you really feel like throwing in the towel because something (or everything :D ) is going wrong.. there is a swarm of members to lift you up, dust you off, and give many helpful suggestions to help your situation. Or even just to say, you've got this.. don't give up! Remember everything is fixable!.. :flowers:

So many things!  I think the first thing I learned was how to dye shingles with vinegar and steel wool.  Since then I have learned too many things to count.  It's not just the techniques and tips, but the inspiration.  When I see some of the beautiful things that you all make, I want to strive to do more and do better.  And the inspiration also gives me courage to try new things.  If you have told me two years ago that I would make my own lighting, I would have fallen over laughing.  Like many other people on these forums, I have learned that this is a wonderful place to be--miniaturists are some of the nicest people there are, and I have greatly appreciated all the support and suggestions I have received.

• Like 3

I'm new to all of this and I have to say the people on here are fantastic...Your productivity, your creativity, your ingenuity and your love for your hobby is awe inspiring...I had no idea how Huge this hobby is...Thanks for your comments and assistance, I am both  humbled and appreciative for all your help...Regards C

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jeannine said:

Another thing I have often thought about..the  fact that this  is a Greenleaf forum..but we chat about all kinds of house irrespective of who made them and it is OK, I think that is  fabulous of Greenleaf..thank you

Amen! :) 

I have learned that dollhouse building and repairing is a very interesting and often complex craft, and I'm very happy to have found other fans of american style dollhouses as where I live they aren't very popular. I have also learned a lot about several dollhouse manufacturers, both current and discontinued models, plenty of really useful information, and it's been a delight to interact with such a nice and helpful comunity :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Debsrand56 said:

So many things!  I think the first thing I learned was how to dye shingles with vinegar and steel wool.  Since then I have learned too many things to count.  It's not just the techniques and tips, but the inspiration.  When I see some of the beautiful things that you all make, I want to strive to do more and do better.  And the inspiration also gives me courage to try new things.  If you have told me two years ago that I would make my own lighting, I would have fallen over laughing.  Like many other people on these forums, I have learned that this is a wonderful place to be--miniaturists are some of the nicest people there are, and I have greatly appreciated all the support and suggestions I have received.

Vinegar and steel wool, for shingles, I can't even wrap my mind around that one lol.  Please explain :huh:

8 minutes ago, Beulah said:

Vinegar and steel wool, for shingles, I can't even wrap my mind around that one lol.  Please explain :huh:

This is the post I found:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=37247&do=findComment&comment=603540  As I recall, I used cider vinegar and fine steel wool.  You can use the resulting product to dye your shingles, and it gives them a beautiful aged wood look.  I used it on the shingles on my bungalow, and really loved how they turned out.  The only thing is, this really is a dye.  You  need to make sure you use gloves when doing the dying (as I found out the hard way on my first batch).

• Like 1