Orchids Bay Window

tsulak85

Hi guys,

So I am putting together the Orchid and I really can't seem to understand the bay window assembly. Does anyone have a step by step video or pictures so I can see how to put it together?

Edited by tsulak85
  • Like 1

Tamara, I hope you will post an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.

I have a magnetic gluing jig, so doing the bay wasn't too bad.  First I checked that the long side of the bay top & bottom were the right size for the opening.  Then I lay the bottom piece in the jig so the longest side was against one side of the jig.  There are two large frame pieces and four narrower ones, and the wood of one of the larger ones and two of the narrower ones is narrower than the others; the inside openings are the same size.  The pieces with the wider wood are the outside frame pieces for the bay and the narrower ones are for the inside.  After I had sanded the edges of all the pieces until the were smooth and made sure I knew which sides matched the edges of the top and bottom pieces I spread a thin bead of wood glue along the three shorter edges of the bay bottom and lined the long edge back up with one side of my gluing jig and placed the outer frame pieces in place on the bottom and held them in place with the magnets.  Using a toothpick I applied wood glue between the adjacent edges of the frame pieces and used bits of painters' tape to hold them in place and left them for the glue to dry.  When the assembly was dry I applied  bead of wood glue to the three shorter edges of the bay top, placed it in the gluing jig and turned the assembly over to glue the frames to the bay top.  When that was dry I took bamboo skewers and cut two pieces the height of the bay and glued one piece into the gap where each side frame met the front frame.  When that was dry I took some spackle on my finger and rubbed it over the skewer and frame to fill the wee gaps.  Then I painted that part of the assembly.  Meanwhile I painted the good sides of the inner frames and glued the clear acetate inserts to the unpainted sides using clear drying tacky glue.  When all the glue was dry I glued the inner frames to the unpainted sides of the outer frames and when all that was done and that wall of the Orchid was ready I glued the bay in place.  I had set the carcase of the house on end so the bay was face up and I left it that way until the bay had dried in place.  I hope this helps.

• Like 1