Painting on Canvas for miniaturists

Deb

On 1/11/2018, 1:04:09, Deb said:

Hey all!  I know I've been MIA for a very long time, but, well, it's too much to go into ..... I'm learning how to paint on canvas.  <wry grin>  ......  Hugs and hugs and hugs to you all!  I love and miss you more than you know!

Hey Deb, SO good to see you here again. Miss you so much. Love your new ideas. Thanks for sharing your fab new artistry. Wish I could come over for a paint and play date!

14 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

I need to look into brushes, got the paints, and found a pad for acrylics but can't find any smaller brushes!

You might try cutting down/thinning some of the smallest ones you have on hand.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2018, 4:09:42, Selkie said:

Hey Deb, SO good to see you here again. Miss you so much. Love your new ideas. Thanks for sharing your fab new artistry. Wish I could come over for a paint and play date!

<wrapping my arms around you in a huge hug>  Selkie, my sweet friend, if you were ever to pop over for a paint date, I'd probably try to keep you forever. LOL!  That would be most awesome!  

On 1/14/2018, 7:08:11, stickyfingers said:

Oh, this is VERY exciting!!! You know, they make artist paper that's meant to be painted with acrylics (won't warp) and I think the texture is more to scale. I may have just fallen down a rabbit hole!

<grinning>  And what a wonderful rabbit hole it is too!  The best painting paper is Canon's watercolor paper and I think the 140lb cold pressed is the one most recommended for acrylic painting.  To help cut down on the curling/warping, you can tape the paper down to a flat, nonabsorbant surface with frog tape which peels cleanly off the paper after it's dried.  Of course, it doesn't matter if it does warp since you can glue it to a piece of cardstock to frame it so either way, it can be made to lay flat.  Michael's often has the pads of watercolor paper on sale and in the size we do, one pad of 15 sheets would last a lifetime!  

• Like 1

Between cold days I gathered some squarish basswood scraps and sanded them squarer and glued scraps from a ratty pair of DH's old skivvy drawers and sized them with a coat of diluted gesso.  My acrylic paints are in the same art box as the oils, so I might just hold out to get some turps and linseed oil...  Naw, I'll use the acrylics for this batch.  In the frantic search to find where I had hidden the acrylic paints I ran across the set of mini art brushes I had found in a thrift store, as well as a whole bunch of itty watercolor pictures I painted for the heckuvit one day.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wormwoodz said:

What would you guys recomend for canvas? Should I try to make them with fabric or cardboard/papper would be best? 

On 1/14/2018, 9:30:55, Goldenrodfarm said:

For watercolors, watercolor paper is best. Acrylics can be used on paper or fabric. Oils work well on fabric or wood that has been prepared with a coat of gesso.

[Ignore the old Goldenrodfarm quote. Don't know why it's here and can't delete it.]

• Like 1

I stretched bits cut from some of DH's worn-out boxers over scraps of basswood and glued them and sized them with slightly diluted gesso; haven't done anything else with them yet, until I pick up some turpentine & linseed oil; in addition to acrylics I discovered tubes of oil paints in my stashes.

This is making me think it would be REALLY fun to have a virtual paint nite like those at local restaurants!  Alas, I'm in the middle of a move and won't be out of the woods and able to doing anything crafty until April, everything is already in boxes ::cry:  But if there is interest, I can run a sort of Real Time thread here one night for people to watch one of her videos and paint and post and paint and post. Or someone else maybe could try it sooner if they wanted to. I'd love to participate!!

• Like 1

Thanks Deb for sharing that. I subscribed to her channel.  I like her tutorials!  Blick art supplies sells a lot of ACEO cards with different surfaces for different mediums, ie oils, acrylics, watercolors.  And they are mostly made of, of course, card stock.  I have used some of them.  I find getting detail hard to do and I love detail.  my tiny brushes always get messed up.  Here is one of my 2.5 x 3.5 I did, which I plan to frame and put in my dollhouse. It is my style of Currier n Ives "Little Snow Bird"  I am planning to frame this one for my dollhouse.  I do also like Impressionism though. But Realism seems to be my first love. It is really hard to go much smaller than this size for me.  

littlesnowbird2.jpg