Dolls Houses & Posture

BigC

Do any of the fine members of this form exercise bad posture when working on your beloved projects...do you stand, are you seated, do you have a wonderful cushion behind you, or like myself, take it as a given and suffer from the aches and pains of "Stooping" :) ...Just wondering if people are conscious of their body formation whilst working away for hours on end...Feel free to comment and list your irks and  ailments associated with your craft....Maybe its just me that gets a stiff neck lol.........

• Like 1

I know exactly what you are referring to, but my problem is my upper back. I have to lie on the carpeted floor to realign my spine. First I just lie there for a minute to relax it. Then I raise my arms over my head and stretch left leg left arm, then right leg right arm. Then, with arms at my side and knees bent, I lift my butt and slowly bring my spine down. Then I rock from side to side. Takes 5 miniutes and I’m ready to get back to work.

My neck gets sore from craning/bending down and peering into tiny houses. It seems no table is ever high enough. I think I need one of those motorized standing desks for dollhouses - but I'd want it to go higher than they do for computer work. 

I can always sit on a low stool I guess, but I never do.

I work in smaller scales (1:48), so I should go read what the train folks do when they get sore necks - they must have aches from that tiny world they have to crane over!

When I get really into it I can spend hours working on a project. Lately I've been fooling with fiddly bits and find myself hunched over a lot. Having a stool to put my feet on while working helps, but sometimes when I'm concentrating I forget to put my feet up. My back is bothering me now, thank goodness the roombox I've been working on is finished, just need to fix up the exterior. I have a series of back excercises I do when I ache, and a tilt table which I used for a couple of sessions today. Although it's my lower back that's bothered me since high school, now it can be just as much my upper back. Sometimes it feels like my spine is scrunched up, but fortunately between my back stretches and tilt table it'll move back into place.

I have a weighted lower back gizmo that helps to counterweight the constant upper back and neck bending. It's called a Body Rite.
Description from the web: It is an ergonomic treatment for pain caused by prolonged activities like sewing, quilting, crafting, or working on your computer. The threepound counterbalance helps prevent upper and lower back, shoulder, and neck strain, and encourages good posture. The straps are adjustable to allow for a comfortable fit to your body structure and a removable onepound weight if you prefer a twopound counterbalance. Pouch measures 91/2 inch by4inch. Shoulders straps are 11/2inch wide and secured across the shoulders with a 1inch wide by 5inch long elasticized straps with mitten clips

I was in a car accident a few years ago and have lower back troubles so I really try to be careful about my position but I often forget myself when I am working on minis and end up in all kinds of terrible positions!  I have recently started putting my half scale house on a table and then sitting on a footstool so I am at eye level with it which helps a lot.  I am currently looking for the right table or stand to hold my very heavy 1:12 house so I don't have to spend hours hunched over on the floor as I decorate it..then I just have to have someone help me to lift it up there!! :/

When my hubby built my work bench he made it higher than standard height.  He also bought a barstool height swivel chair.  Both help me from stooping. I use the chair when I'm working with clay and other detail things.  I find that when I'm actually building I put the box of wood parts on the chair.  Lol

If I were to lay on the floor he would have to bring the forklift to pick me up.  Hahaha