Laser cut plant and flower kits

TaliasEclectics

Has anyone bought from Mary Kinloch's line on ebay and followed her YouTube videos for construction for flowers and plants? Wondering about the difficulty (I'm not a fine art painter), and the cost per unit, in regards to having to buy other materials, etc. Her things are not in a neat little kit. Do I get more for my money that way? And, if you've used them, how do you feel about them compared to the other kits out there? 

• Like 1

One of the keys to good flower making is the paper that's used. Mary's are done on a special crepe paper that holds its shape after the petals are formed. Most other kits just use craft type paper. You can make great flowers with either but the crepe are better.  

Supplies wise....all that you really need is the thin floral wire,ball stylus, shaping pad,paint, tacky glue and the paper flower/plant. All the rest is extra that's nice to have but it's not totally necessary. Zap a gap, gel medium, sealers etc. really nice to have but you can get by without them so you can follow her videos without adding the extras. 

This is a good thread for me, too - I have been interested in making flowers, but no clue where to start. I have a 1:48 kit for flowers from a train shop. They are so tiny that if I drop one it is lost forever in the carpet. And I don't have thick carpet. Anyway - I am a little overwhelmed by the effort, but I know that Mary does some free tutorials on youtube so you can get an idea of how they are done. I'm going to check those out - she is very prolific with all the flowers and kits she makes - so I'm hoping she has figured out all the speedbumps for us.

I've bought kids from Paula Gilhooley and Jeannie Lindquist. Paula uses the special crepe paper also. Her laser cuts are similar to Mary's on the little white sheet - think the sheets are about the same size but not sure on that. Paula paints hers first and Mary leaves that to the buyer, I believe. Paula's have the wire, mustard seed (for buds on delphinium for example), etc.. Jeannie Lindquist is a little different. She has a degree is botany and her flowers are already printed onto thin, untextured paper, front and back sides both printed so what you have to do is cut them at the tabs, shape, and glue together. She has some very nice lilies. I recently made her daffodil kit and that papery piece on the back where the stem connects to the flower was already printed with lines and it turned out pretty.

Karin is very, very, skilled in making her own flowers and I will be listening to her pointers also. She has a great tutorial here for a certain flower, which variety it was escapes me right now. Added: it's an Iris. 

Added: I was just thinking about it, and I think it depends on Paula's kits which flower it is whether she uses the crepe paper or cardstock type paper. I know her tulips, iris, and hollyhocks use crepe and her tiger lily uses smooth paper that she's punched with punches. So some of her kits are created with punches and some are laser cut.

I bought a   wisteria on etsy from The Miniature garden,Georgie Steeds also a dandelion because I though it would be better to do a small one first.  I haven't done it yet because I need to finish a piece of furniture first.  I will look into the other kits you mentioned, landscaping is high on my list of what a dollhouse should look like.

I'm also interested in people's experience with Mary Kinloch.  I know she does 1:24 laser sheets on eBay, and I've been considering trying some.  I'd love to know what other people think.

On 1/16/2018, 6:49:04, Elsbeth said:

This is a good thread for me, too - I have been interested in making flowers, but no clue where to start.

Susan Kariakis of SDK miniatures also does the crepe paper kind.  She has a variety of 1:48 kits.  I have made up several of her 1:24 kits and been pleased, but I don't know how she is in other scales.

8 minutes ago, Debsrand56 said:

I'm also interested in people's experience with Mary Kinloch.  I know she does 1:24 laser sheets on eBay, and I've been considering trying some.  I'd love to know what other people think.

Susan Kariakis of SDK miniatures also does the crepe paper kind.  She has a variety of 1:48 kits.  I have made up several of her 1:24 kits and been pleased, but I don't know how she is in other scales.

I looooove SDK 1:48!