Hi from Florida!

tonks

Hello everyone! 

I found this forum while searching for illustrated instructions for my Greenleaf dollhouse, which I found. I was given the Orchid dollhouse as a present for my 14th birthday because I sculpt miniatures in 1:12 scale and I wanted a place to put them. That and I just really like small things! As a little kid I was obsessed with fairies and making little fairy homes in my backyard, and I loved to visit the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institue of Chicago. So I wanted to find out if was any good making my own dollhouses. I got as far as gluing the plastic panes to the window frames before we moved to a new house and I had to pack up my kit. I’m 17 now so it’s been a while, but I’ve gotten back into it! I’m only a quarter of the way finished with it, so I’ll be hanging around here a lot. Hopefully I can build some more dollhouses when I finish this one. 

Welcome to the little family, Marli.  I wait until I've sanded and stained or primed and painted the frames before I glue in the clear acetate panes, and I don't install windows or doors until after I've built & decorated the rest of the house.  I hope you're using a good wood glue to put your house together, and not hot glue; especially as you're in FL.  BTW, where in FL are you?  I'm just west of Pensacola.

2 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Welcome to the little family, Marli.  I wait until I've sanded and stained or primed and painted the frames before I glue in the clear acetate panes, and I don't install windows or doors until after I've built & decorated the rest of the house.  I hope you're using a good wood glue to put your house together, and not hot glue; especially as you're in FL.  BTW, where in FL are you?  I'm just west of Pensacola.

Thank you!

I saw in the instructions that it might be better to sand and stain/paint the pieces before I began to assemble them, but I decided I didn’t want to get into that until I was done assembling it. I didn’t want to make it anymore complicated than it already was. I’m sure this won’t be my only dollhouse, so I’ll probably do what you suggested when I build my next dollhouse. :) I am using a good wood glue. I’ve worked with hot glue a lot before and I didn’t think it would be strong enough. I’m using white glue for the plastic window panes. 

I live near Orlando. I actually just spent all yesterday at Epcot, so it was nice to spend a few hours working on the Orchid today. 

2 minutes ago, Inge said:

Welcome! It's so nice to see some one of the "younger generation" interested in building dollhouses.

Thanks! I’m so glad this forum exists; it’s making building this dollhouse a lot easier for me!

At 17 it's very tempting just to whiz through things.  From the perspective of over 25 years building dollhouse kits, it's well worth the time to do all the sanding and dry fitting and other prep work to turn out a lovely product you will be happy with, that won't turn you off.

1 hour ago, havanaholly said:

At 17 it's very tempting just to whiz through things.  From the perspective of over 25 years building dollhouse kits, it's well worth the time to do all the sanding and dry fitting and other prep work to turn out a lovely product you will be happy with, that won't turn you off.

Thanks for the perspective. It’s really nice to have a website where all the help I could need is in one place. 

I’m not the type to rush through projects, I like to take my time and make sure I get everything as close to perfect as I can. I can put on an audiobook and spend 3 or 4 hours sculpting or painting, and I’d probably just keep going on like that too if my parents didn’t need me to do silly things like eat dinner or sleep, lol. 

• Like 2

Welcome to the family Marli! I can’t wait to see your Orchid & other mini creations! When I was a teen I was making Barbie sized room boxes and furniture out of cardboard and other stuff I could find. I wish there was websites (or the internet) back then for me :)  It’s so exciting to have you here and, you sculpt too! I look forward to knowing you better! 

• Like 1

Hi Marli! :wave:  Welcome to our little family! :chat:

Since you are in Orlando- have you discovered Ron's Miniature shop on Colonial Dr. yet?  :D  My son and daughter-in-law live only a few blocks away, so I look forward to spending a few hours in there whenever we go down to visit them!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your project!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2018, 9:49:15, jbnmini said:

Hi Marli! :wave:  Welcome to our little family! :chat:

Since you are in Orlando- have you discovered Ron's Miniature shop on Colonial Dr. yet?  :D  My son and daughter-in-law live only a few blocks away, so I look forward to spending a few hours in there whenever we go down to visit them!

Looking forward to seeing some pics of your project!

No, I've never heard of that store before!! Thanks for the heads up!

Welcome. It is great to see someone younger that enjoys miniatures.  From your perspective, we’re all pretty old here but with that comes experience.   I look forward to seeing some of your clay crations.   

• 1 month later...

I’m so happy I stumbled upon this post. Otherwise I’d still be wandering around this site lost trying to find instructions. Thank you Marli. I’m new here too. Just starting to build my Orchid also. The instructions with the kit are not detailed. Mesp2k thank you!! those directions are so much better.!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...