Chandelier question

Goldenrodfarm

I can't quite figure out the size in mm's of the candle holders in a chandelier, or how tall one should be never having one in real life!  Does any one have the type that has several candle arms that could measure the part that holds the candle and how tall the total chandelier is?  I can figure out about how big the candle should be and what it should fit into but most of the candle holders have a part that is wider that holds the part that secures the candle.  Thank you for your help!

I am having a hard time explaining what I want for the candle holder, they have two parts the part that holds the candle and the drip pan underneath, I am looking for the size of the drip pan.   I am unsure right now If I want to go with bulbs or LED's, granted the bulbs look more authentic but I haven't seen too many with lit LED's.  Below is a picture of what I want the size of, I may be able to figure that out with your suggestion of sizing it and printing.  I am on my back up computer so it is lacking in a lot of programs and tools to use in graphics.

picture for the candle holders.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stickyfingers said:

A candle cup is what holds the candle in place, and  a bobeche is the rim that catches wax drippings or is used to hang crystals from.

Thank you, couldn't remember at all today!  I am going to attempt it, I am now just trying to design it and see what I need, I have a bunch of stuff thrown in my cart in ebay and wanted to get more exact measurements for the beads and bead caps.  There was a bead cap that would be perfect if i could shrink it lol  I may get some parts from Cir-kit, or not, depending on my final design, it would be convenient to have the bulb and candle all ready to screw in, but their candle cups are ugly and that is what it would screw into, however it may be possible to hid them with a decorative bead cap.  And getting their parts would about double the price of the project,  making each candle about $5.-$6.  Still at the design table.

I’m embarrassed to show these since the screw-in bulbs, sockets and extensions used to make them stand straight are too bulky. They sit in a scrap pile now. But hopefully this gives you an idea of scale. The one to the left has a larger base than pictured above.

EC2BD323-3717-4A43-A17B-A8686D694ACE.jpeg

• Like 1

Thank you so much for doing this!  I have a much better idea of what size to get, sometimes it is hard to picture in my mind sizes that I order but can't see or touch.  I really appreciate the time you took to help me!  I am not sure how long some of the things will take to get here, sometimes they are here in a week and sometimes a month, so I wanted to get them ordered now!

LOOK what just came in the mail!!!!! EEEEeeeee!!! I keep toying with the idea of making some, but couldn't quite get all of the details worked out just looking at pictures. Now that I have one in my hand, I can really see how it's done. This one needs some fixing and fiddling, but so happy to have it!!! I know I said I was going to go "simple" for the Yellow house, but it just has to go in there!!  

myst chandelier.jpg

• Like 3

Gorgeous.. Is that a Phyllis Tucker? Love her work but I haven't been able to find a reasonably priced one. Great stuff! Looking forward to seeing it in the house.

Thanks so much!!! I am thrilled with this purchase! It came in a mixed lot with some other things, including a second, identical chandelier, but with some missing parts. No idea who made it, but there's a similar one on ebay right now for almost $300. Insane! I have the perfect spot for it in the Yellow house, but again, have wanted to see one of these in person to get an idea of how it's really constructed, so this opens up all sorts of doors for making my own.

Details-2.5" tall and wide, not including the hanging drop bead, The small beads used throughout the fixture are 2.5mm, and the bugle beads are 7mm long. The largest round bead used for the bottom drop is 7mm. I'm curious where they found the candle cups, and if that has a specific name in the bead world? It almost looks like a post earring back, but has a little scallop at the top edge. Maybe some sort of tiny bead cap? The strands of small beads are done on eye pins, rather than string or thin wire. Also, rather than wiring each arm, there's a cluster of 2-3 tiny bulbs spliced onto the single wire that hangs down into the center of the fixture. I'd love to know where they found that top piece, as the scale is spot on!

There's bent wires all over, and I'm scared to death to try and straighten them! I broke an arm on another chandelier last night trying to straighten it!

I'm going to look at Hobby Lobby for bead caps and such next time they're on sale.     

Thank you so much, I have been looking at crystals, but have definitely been looking at ones too big.  I had that impression when I printed out a chandelier in about a 3" size, it needs to be a little smaller but when I was looking at it I realized that the crystals were much smaller then I figured.  Do a search on Ebay on bead caps, there are a ton of different sizes and shapes, I am sure that is what they use for the candle cup and the bobeche.  When I look closely at the different chandeliers for sale I can now pick out the different beads and sometimes in the central part there are bead caps where the candle ends gather.  Somewhere else I read that the pins are used, I have a bunch of them, plus the tiny crystals, I bought 1000 of them on a good deal.  There are beads that are long and thin like the candle arms and can be gently bent to form, and of course chain, unfortunately all the chain I have is silver.  I was searching bugle beads yesterday, they come in an array of sizes.  The candle replacements in Cir-kit are 5/8" tall and have a base of .12" which would be 3 mm, I would think you would want the cup slightly bigger.  I think I am getting this all together with everyone's help!  Now I need to change my order in ebay!

I have spent time printing out about 10 different chandeliers and closely inspecting them.  After perusing ebay for quite a while I recognize most of the components, I revised my ebay order for the 10th time lol.  Last night I found a bead cap that I liked but figured it was too big until I saw up close that it is frequently used at the top to hang crystals on.  Think I can find the bead cap again, I spent an hour looking for it, I should have put it in my watch list but didn't, oh well.  I was trying so many different searches that I can't remember which produced it. The final two things I was looking for  was bugle beads in 25 mm size and 6-7mm.  It is very hard to find clear ones, they are all silver lined which I don't think would work well.  It is amazing that you can get 150 crystal beads for 99 cents but they want 9-15 dollars for 50 bugle beads.  I can wait, stock changes all the time on ebay.  I did find some tube beads the right size for candles, and noodle beads for the branches of the candles.  Just need to look for some gold chain.  All in all my ebay cart is $23 and that will probably make a doz Chandeliers, but I need to get led lights. I will probably get a string of them depending on how far apart the lights are.  I know it will take a long time for the components to get here, but now I am impatient.  Back to cutting wood for the piano!

My thanks to all who helped me on this!

• Like 1

I recommend crystals 2 to 2.5MM for the most part (not the bugle beads but for the rounded beads). I went through a chandelier phase, made a darn good one too, then broke a wire and had glued the findings down around the wires and had to scrap the thing then got so mad I put it away for another time. I got mine from fire mountain gems.

I ordered that size crystal for the drops, plus some slightly larger tear drops.  The larger metal beads are for the center post, there is a variety so it will be interesting.  what kind of glue did you use?  I was considering some soldering in places, it is all going to be an experiment! 

I thought about soldering too but then I read it's very difficult to solder brass and you have to use a small torch. I used Elieen's the Ultimate which was a clear glue. Here's how close I got. The second picture wasn't finished at the top, I was just so proud of my progress up that point. Never finished either of these, makes me sad. It was getting all the wires from all the candle bulbs condensed into two cords that kept throwing me. Those wires are just so tiny, they break so easily when you're stripping them and trying to get them all on the same circuit line or whatever. I told myself once I got one of these to work with the brass tube arms I would never do one again! I was going to use the spoke findings from there on out because feeding that wire through the brass is tough also. But I firmly believe where there's a will, there's a way. 

Added: yes I remember I tried to solder that brass and when it didn't work I went online and watched videos about how to do it and they were using little torches to get it hot enough to fuse. If you're using the spokes for arms and the beads down the middle, which I was going to do some like that also, then  I don't think you'll have to use anything more than glue. I wanted to solder my brass tubes together at the top because the design I was after, it really needed it there, I felt, so the darn thing would stay together.

Screen_Shot_2018-01-24_at_10.48.03_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2018-01-24_at_10.47.52_PM.png

• Like 2

Yes you do have to use a torch to solder brass, I have done it, I weld so it is not a far reach, the only thing I don't like is SS.  Your Chandeliers look like they were coming along fine, I noticed that most people didn't carry the brass tubes up as far as yours, but that added a decorative touch.   I have a bunch of little rings of a lot of different sizes maybe that would have held your tubes together if glued. I found an interesting couple of pieces of jewelry findings on ebay, that might do for the center post on an more modern chandelier, they are like springs but more decorative.  I think I will probably end up doing several dry runs before adding lights and gluing, I can see why they command a lot of money, so many fiddly parts.  I like the ruby drops, I have been thinking only in clear and gold, but I see now that colors would not be a bad idea.  What did you use for the candles?  I finally settled on a straight noodle bead that was the right size.  I think the first thing to do is make a stand to work from, a new adventure!

Thank you for posting your pictures!

• Like 1