Chandelier question

Goldenrodfarm

That's my goal to to make one from scratch. They really are hard because to me they are just so fiddley to do . I have just embellished a few led battery ones and that alone is a lot of work just string beads , costing beads etc... The darn things just seem to have a mind of their own.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NellBell said:

That's my goal to to make one from scratch. They really are hard because to me they are just so fiddley to do . I have just embellished a few led battery ones and that alone is a lot of work just string beads , costing beads etc... The darn things just seem to have a mind of their own.

The site that Karin mentioned above http://jar-jaf.com/  has some in kit form. I am thinking about trying one of the kits and then go on from there.

3 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

The site that Karin mentioned above http://jar-jaf.com/  has some in kit form. I am thinking about trying one of the kits and then go on from there.

I looked at their kits but there are only 2 and neither are anything I really want.  I have a vague I idea of what I want to make but the end result will be determined on what I end up for beads and other supplies.  I didn't order from the catalog because I had already done a bunch of orders on ebay.  maybe if I become accomplished making them I will consider ordering some of their things.

On 2/5/2018, 10:38:07, Goldenrodfarm said:

I looked at their kits but there are only 2 and neither are anything I really want.  I have a vague I idea of what I want to make but the end result will be determined on what I end up for beads and other supplies.  I didn't order from the catalog because I had already done a bunch of orders on ebay.  maybe if I become accomplished making them I will consider ordering some of their things.

About the site JAR/JAF the site is quite hard to navigate. They have a lot more kits than I could find. I bought their volume 5 booklet and in there is a ton of information and st least 70 kits. Basically everything they show in the book can be bought as a kit. Or you can by desperately but when you buy separately you will have extra parts. I’m defiantly going to try one of theirs. 

1 minute ago, NellBell said:

About the site JAR/JAF the site is quite hard to navigate. They have a lot more kits than I could find. I bought their volume 5 booklet and in there is a ton of information and st least 70 kits. Basically everything they show in the book can be bought as a kit. Or you can by desperately but when you buy separately you will have extra parts. I’m defiantly going to try one of theirs. 

They even have cute vanity sets made out of findings ,candlestick and lots of stuff 

9 minutes ago, NellBell said:

That is what I noticed, I bought the volume 5 too. I also down loaded this catalog that Karin referenced. You can see what the findings look like. Their site is very frustrating. Let me know which kit you order.

3 hours ago, NellBell said:

I just noticed the book I may order that.  I finally printed out the catalog, much easier to use then just downloaded, on the screen the items were not the correct size.  I did have quite a laugh at the buying desperately, you made my night, sounds like what the procedure would be after looking at all that stuff!

• Like 1

so all these kits are only in a book you have to buy?   I looked through the catalog I printed with the price lit today while I was down selling eggs.  There are a lot of  wheels of different sizes  but I couldn't quite picture a chandelier made with them unless it was just a candle one.  I never saw so many little metal pieces in my life, I think I would need a plan before I tried to order anything.  Such a confusing place to do business, but they sure have a corner on the market!

i

1 hour ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

so all these kits are only in a book you have to buy?   I looked through the catalog I printed with the price lit today while I was down selling eggs.  There are a lot of  wheels of different sizes  but I couldn't quite picture a chandelier made with them unless it was just a candle one.  I never saw so many little metal pieces in my life, I think I would need a plan before I tried to order anything.  Such a confusing place to do business, but they sure have a corner on the market!

it's worth buying the book it has all the instructions and black and white drawings of the chandeliers , candle sticks , dressing table items , table lamps .

etc... You don't have to but the kit you can buy all the parts I'm going to start with a tall/floor castle candle stick holder . 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NellBell said:

Well you just gave me a good laugh :cucumber: I had no idea I wrote it wrong. But too funny in the end. 

I thought "buy desperately," I sure know how that feels! It's like when you have an idea of what you want buy you aren't sure exactly and you buy stuff just in case. That was funny.

Giving chandelier making a Go! I actually only live 30 min from Oak Ridge Hobbies so I drove there today. I was super diappointed to find that they only had a few lightbubs available. I can order some but I thought I’d soldier on with the 3 I was able to buy. I went to Joanns ans got some bead caps, spacers and some silver  spacer tubes.

38520047390_005053859e_b.jpg

I had some brass tubing left from made my door. Rather than cutting that with wite cutters, I sawed it with my miter box. Probably should have used a saw meant for metal as the teeth on my saw are now worn down but it worked. Sawing it as opposed to using wire clamps ensures the tubing doesnt get crimped. A quick run over the ends with some fine grit sand paper evened everything out. Once I got the tubing cut, I glued it to the spacer.

40283990922_6756124267_b.jpg

Then I ran the bulb wires through a short tube and pushed the tube up to cover the connection between the bulb and the wires.

39617981104_8fa9ac7154_b.jpg

Not ideal since I cant change the bulb but it looks good so far. The scary part comes tomorrow when I try to bend it!

40283991132_04fba4650e_b.jpg40283991222_aa8ddd8b30_b.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SewMini said:

Giving chandelier making a Go! I actually only live 30 min from Oak Ridge Hobbies so I drove there today. I was super diappointed to find that they only had a few lightbubs available. I can order some but I thought I’d soldier on with the 3 I was able to buy. I went to Joanns ans got some bead caps, spacers and some silver  spacer tubes.

These are looking fantastic! 

I've tried doing some wall lamps in 1:24, sadly the wire kept getting stuck on the metal tubes and/or breaking and short circuiting... I ran out of patience. I need to find thinner wire for dollhouses, I've checked the houseworks wire but I'm not sure if it's thin enough for small scale. 

My local Radio Shack closed a couple years back or more, as did the one in the next town over. I dont know of any in my area which is sad, because I liked going in there. 

But to answer your question Holly, the last time I was in there they did have GOW and GOR bulbs. That was in March 2012, I remember because I was buying them for Lawson's amusement park project for school. I imagine they probably still carry them in the store that still exist.

3 hours ago, sparklepuppies said:

My local Radio Shack closed a couple years back or more, as did the one in the next town over. I dont know of any in my area which is sad, because I liked going in there. 

How close are you to Jackson, GA? Elite Geeks on 2nd Street is an authorized Radio Shack dealer.