Chandelier question

Goldenrodfarm

14 hours ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

Yes you do have to use a torch to solder brass, I have done it, I weld so it is not a far reach, the only thing I don't like is SS.  Your Chandeliers look like they were coming along fine, I noticed that most people didn't carry the brass tubes up as far as yours, but that added a decorative touch.   I have a bunch of little rings of a lot of different sizes maybe that would have held your tubes together if glued. I found an interesting couple of pieces of jewelry findings on ebay, that might do for the center post on an more modern chandelier, they are like springs but more decorative.  I think I will probably end up doing several dry runs before adding lights and gluing, I can see why they command a lot of money, so many fiddly parts.  I like the ruby drops, I have been thinking only in clear and gold, but I see now that colors would not be a bad idea.  What did you use for the candles?  I finally settled on a straight noodle bead that was the right size.  I think the first thing to do is make a stand to work from, a new adventure!

Thank you for posting your pictures!

Oh cool about the welding, yeah, no problem for you. Sweet!! I bought candle sockets with the wires attached from miniatures.com. But the wires are just so fine that I kept breaking them when I was stripping the coating. Maybe I should try something else next time because I wasted enough money breaking those that I could've bought a reasonably priced chandelier. I often wondered if there as a heavier gauge out there I wasn't aware of. 

Added: thinking back, I believe the colored crystals only came in 4mm, smallest, if my memory is correct. I think they look at little large and that was one thing I changed on the clear one also. The teeny tiny crystal at the top of that drop pattern is the 2mm or maybe 2.5mm.

On 1/25/2018, 9:29:18, Goldenrodfarm said:

I like the ruby drops, I have been thinking only in clear and gold, but I see now that colors would not be a bad idea.  

I have to say, I really like the colored beads too. So different! It would look beautiful in blue.

In case anyone doesn't know about this source,  they have all of the findings for diy fancy chandeliers, etc and there are books that tell you how to string them together and tells you what to order for specific styles. 

http://jar-jaf.com/

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, WyckedWood said:

In case anyone doesn't know about this source,  they have all of the findings for diy fancy chandeliers, etc and there are books that tell you how to string them together and tells you what to order for specific styles. 

Holy cow that place has the motherload!

I know...I was going to say "you're welcome" but you'll probably be wishing I hadn't mentioned it soon...lol.

just fyi you have to download the catalog from the index page to see all of the items and then download the price list.  You should be seeing pages like this. 

IMG_8444.JPG

IMG_8445.JPG

16 hours ago, BriJohn said:

But the wires are just so fine that I kept breaking them when I was stripping the coating. Maybe I should try something else next time because I wasted enough money breaking those that I could've bought a reasonably priced chandelier.

I just found this YouTube video that might end your wire stripping woes!

https://youtu.be/n5o2drU65UM

• Like 1

I've also watched a short "behind the scenes" video that miniland.ca put on youtube about how they make their lamps and it shows some of their process for making them. Here's some take aways I had

1. They solder the candle cup to a straight rod

2. They solder the straight rod to a "core" matching a hole in the core that the wire will eventually come through

3. Then I THINK they fish the wire into the straight tube and secure the bulb socket to the candle up while everything is still straight

4. With the wire in the tube, they bend it over a jig. If they wait to do it when the wire is in the tube, the wire would keep the tubing from crimping. I also wonder if they maybe heat the tube up a bit to make it easier to bend.

Here's the video. I'm REALLY jonesing to make one now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7Mwzc4DbA

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WyckedWood said:

This resource is incredible!! They even have the glass globes you might want to use for a definite Victorian chandelier (like you've shown in your example pages, ha). I've always wondered where to find those. They have the brass banding like you see on the Ni-Glo lamps, wow, all kinds of stuff! They have the great unusual shaped beads for the center of the chandeliers, I just can't believe what a great resource. Thank you again!

• Like 2

To strip fine wires I just use my soldering iron, lay it on the plastic for just a second and slide, never had it not work.  Practice on a spare piece of wire first.

I am trying to look at the stuff on that site, quite convoluted, but I found and downloaded the catalog, now the price list!  Looks like they are under new management? 

• Like 2

Bri, your chandelier looks great - and I admire your patience to do it. I built one before and apparently broke one wire while building it, so it was finished and never worked.... sigh. I haven't touched one since. Amazing work!

On 1/25/2018, 11:15:44, Sable said:

Mine is in a junk pile. BriJohn’s is the only one I’ve ever seen which was successfully completed.

I feel you, Sable........... mine too :ermm:. spent a fortune at JarJaf and have not really anything to show for it..........hahaha. One day I will give it another try...... one day....

3 hours ago, Soapz said:

I feel you, Sable........... mine too :ermm:. spent a fortune at JarJaf and have not really anything to show for it..........hahaha. One day I will give it another try...... one day....

I remember you saying this just as I gave up.

• Like 1

Hope dies last............ or so. I'm currently building a Chrysnbon bathroom because I hate the chunky look of the bargain ones and I can't afford Elf miniatures (yet).......

So much different stuff in that catalog, hard to comprehend quickly.  I finally printed it out so I could better see the offerings.  I had seen that video before, The jigs they have make bending wire and tubing so easy, but of course that wouldn't be an option for people just making a few.  One site I looked at said to make sure you have wire in the tube before bending so it doesn't crimp.  I was looking at an inexpensive wire bending tool, on amazon.  You could do curves and with the pegs make your own curve, not sure if it would be useful or not.  There is an amazing amount of information out there on making Chandeliers, lots of u-tube and tutorials, not necessarily exactly like I want to make but you frequently come away with a useful tip.

I ordered what I thought was 2 beads for a modern type light and they came today, 10 of them, they are twisted wire, but the opening is big enough for a LED and with chain to hang would make an interesting light.

IMG_resiz1558.jpg

• Like 3

I had bought one of those tube bending tools. Did not like it. So I made a jig with a one inch board and nails. It worked!  The best advice I can give is to make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges at the tube openings. I didn’t realize the wire’s plastic coating was being stripped as I inserted it into the tube. This caused the copper wire to touch the brass tube causing the bulb to short out. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sable said:

I had bought one of those tube bending tools. Did not like it. So I made a jig with a one inch board and nails. It worked!  The best advice I can give is to make sure there are no burrs or sharp edges at the tube openings. I didn’t realize the wire’s plastic coating was being stripped as I inserted it into the tube. This caused the copper wire to touch the brass tube causing the bulb to short out. 

I was bending mine around a glass test tube and it worked well. Agreed on making sure you’ve got a clean opening on the cut brass ends. Mine kind of bent inward at the cut spot and I took a little awl and went from the inside and bent outwards a bit to clean up and re-open that end. There’s probably a better way to do that or a better way to cut it than I was doing but, anyway...

On 1/28/2018, 11:34:40, Sable said:

That is very good advice, I might not have noticed that now I will be on the watch.

One place I was reading it said to bend the tubing after you put the wire in it, did any of you do that?  It was supposed to prevent kinking of the tube and make it easier to put the wire in intact. 

7 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

That is very good advice, I might not have noticed that now I will be on the watch.

One place I was reading it said to bend the tubing after you put the wire in it, did any of you do that?  It was supposed to prevent kinking of the tube and make it easier to put the wire in intact. 

The brass I was using seemed solid enough that It never kinked it but I wAs making pretty big curves. Bending the brass was the least of my problems so it didn’t occur to me to try to thread it with wires first and since I had several brass do dads between my candle and the end of my brass rod, those would’ve been jingling around in my way before I had had a chance to get the body all glued up. If my curves had been any smaller I think I would’ve had to insert the wires first though because it takes some finesse to get them through on the bend I did manage. I may try to thread the wires first in my next attempt tho, maybe that would be better.

23 minutes ago, Goldenrodfarm said:

How are you going to cut your rod? My method wasn’t the best but it worked okay. I scored mine with bead pliers and applied even pressure while rotating and it snapped off but barely bent inward around the cut end. That’s why I used an awl to bend outward at the hole. It was okay but I’m sure there’s a better way. I bought the tube cutter but I didn’t like it.