Hobbyist Lamp/Magnifier

BigC

How many of the members use, have used or would recommend using this potential purchase. Maybe not in this guise but a similar product...I'm thinking it may be an invaluable addition to the workshop not to mention easier on my eyes when cutting and painting.. :)

Any thoughts?.....

Regards C

2671231_R_Z001A_UC1288886.jpg

We use these at work also, to read the serial number on aircraft parts..(they can be really tiny. :) )

I've never thought about them for mini work but I guess they would work. If you are diciplined enough to stay under it for the duration of the task you are doing... It could get in the way also.. I think they are really only good for very intricate work  and only if you have good hand eye coordination. :D 

I got a small version (portable and battery driven) as a Christmas gift and Love it, it folds down into the size of a hockey puck so Will be able to Bring it along easily to workshops/on grips too.

https://panduro.com/sv-se/produkter/kreatima/verktyg/verktyg/yoyo-forstoringslampa-102798

I have one of these. I bought it about 15 years ago for needlework but now I use it constantly for mini work. The base weighs a ton though so moving it around is a real challenge but, honestly, I couldn't live without it. I use it every single day!

resized.jpg

We use those at the workshop, I think they are a bit too bulky to use with miniatures so I got one of the smaller ones like Sable linked above, and a small LED lamp from ikea with articulated neck. There are also glasses with magnifying lenses, but be careful using those as they can make your eyesight worsen if you have them on for long periods of time.

On ‎01‎/‎20‎/‎2018‎ ‎10‎:‎04‎:‎16‎, kokomo said:

I have one of these. I bought it about 15 years ago for needlework but now I use it constantly for mini work. The base weighs a ton though so moving it around is a real challenge but, honestly, I couldn't live without it. I use it every single day!

I also have one on a heavy stand - originally bought for use with sewing miniature rugs and then found it great for working on other detailed miniatures - but it can be removed from the base and attached to a desk/tabletop, so very handy for moving around.  Be sure to check out industrial/scientific supply companies.  My husband found the large magnifier on the heavy base at a place like this, for about a third of the cost of the ones sold for crafting purposes.

I also have the smaller magnifier with the "helping hands" clips.  Both are wonderful in their own way.

I have one of those larger crane ones that clamps to the edge of a table. I love the brighter light and I use the magnifier inside the round light when I'm painting something really small for details. I don't use it for general dollhouse construction, it would get in the way. The clamp is also frustrating when I want to work upstairs in the main area, as there isn't any good surface to clamp it onto. But it is excellent lighting and saves my eyes when I'm working on REALLY tiny items.

After reading this topic when it was started, I bought one and love it.  The price was reasonable, and it serves 2 purposes...so I am able to get rid of the floor lamp that was more in the way.  And the LED means the light is cool, unlike old my floor lamp that wouldn't take LEDs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LTTS8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61M6B57-BSL._SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, miniaddicted said:

After reading this topic when it was started, I bought one and love it.  The price was reasonable, and it serves 2 purposes...so I am able to get rid of the floor lamp that was more in the way.  And the LED means the light is cool, unlike old my floor lamp that wouldn't take LEDs

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016LTTS8S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

61M6B57-BSL._SL1500_.jpg

That one has been in my cart waiting for the first of the month!  I am glad you reviewed it for us.  I was attracted to the LED's also.  And a plus is that I have used one like it at work a lot before I retired.