Bill Robertson article

miniaddicted

Incredible stuff! What an artist.. I hate to think how much these artworks cost.. he's going to fund his retirement with the sale of a dollhouse??:eek: Meanwhile, why would you retire from this kind of "work".. :D 

I've enjoyed seeing his work on display at the Kansas City Toy and Miniature Museum. It is truly awesome to see some of the tools he had to make in order to manufacture a particular piece in miniature as well as the resulting miniature object.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I'm wondering why a 1:12 microscope has to work; whose eyes are that small?

LOL.. I think for him the answer is.. just because. :D 

On 1/21/2018, 3:02:27, havanaholly said:

I'm wondering why a 1:12 microscope has to work; whose eyes are that small?

If you can, why would you not? For some of us into miniatures, the working ones are the most charming.

2 minutes ago, jaie said:

If you can, why would you not? For some of us into miniatures, the working ones are the most charming.

I agree.  For some reason, miniatures that actually work make me swoon.  I absolutely love them.  Probably goes back to Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle (which I saw when I was 7).  Quite a few things worked in her house.

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

I agree.  For some reason, miniatures that actually work make me swoon.  I absolutely love them.  Probably goes back to Colleen Moore's Fairy Castle (which I saw when I was 7).  Quite a few things worked in her house.

I feel the same way about miniatures that work, one of the reasons so many years ago I bought the kits to working grandfather clocks, I like doors to open, windows to work, stove doors that open and same with fridges.  It just makes it look so real to me.  I am green with envy at his tool box, some times those little tools could come in handy.  I would like to try out the tiny spinning wheel!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea of a 1:1 person trying to view a 1:1 rotifer or amoeba on a 1:12 slide under a 1:12 microscope; and also how Mr. Robinson ground those infinitesimally tiny glass bits into working lenses.

I get what you mean...I'm thinking "how did he test it?".

Technology is amazing these days, even in hand crafts like these, first thing I thought on seeing that microscope was, "I wonder what size micro camera would fit that".  I've seen some antique working miniatures in my time that blow you away with how advanced they are, and if you're a fan of Youtube, "Lucky Penny Shop" often shows working modern miniatures, there's a couple of others as well who occasionally do antique pieces. Grand Illusions on Youtube is also amazing to watch for working miniatures. And as we get more and more tech, I expect to see more working miniatures, I've seen working televisions, working Linux based computers, and elevators operated by Arduino. It's only going to get more real from here.