How to weather wallpaper without warping/ruining it?

Elsbeth

I am thinking about using some blue and white wallpaper in a kitchen. But I would like a more used/weathered look. What would you do to make white wallpaper appear older?

Chalk? I first thought I might put some tea on it, but then I realized it would warp/wrinkle...any suggestions welcome. 

Since its not yet installed, I'd go ahead and use a liquid such as tea or coffee or well thinned watercolors/acrylics. I'd tape the paper to a board, all the way around, covering an eighth of an inch or so, to hold it flat. Leave it taped until the paper is dry. Unless it is extremely thin paper, there shouldn't be any crinkling, and the tape will keep it from warping.

Worst case scenario, you can always iron it smooth with a warm iron. :D 

• Like 1

We're "weathering" wallpaper for a kitchen?  As opposed to "aging" it?  In addition to the tea/ coffee for the area where you'll place the stove you might think about dipping a few old toothbrush bristles into a wee drop of machine (NOT edible!) oil and spraying just a few droplets by rubbing the tip of your thumb over the bristles (practice on a piece of scrap paper to get the look).  The kitchen in my Havana house had the original wallpaper hung in the early 1970s, when it was built, and the piece behind the stove, in addition to the browning of being applied to the bare cedar walls of the house and general aging, had been spattered with grease from cooking over all those years.

• Like 1

Would be good to test a few different techniques on a scrap piece first, if you have one. It's been a long time since I did this on wallpaper but probably used a wipe on-quickly wipe off system. Remember (obviously) start slow, easier to add more than remove overkill. If you want subtle I would try tea or coffee brushed on .

I aged and distressed the wallpaper in my Gothic Orchid by lightly wiping on some tranparent wood stain in a brown color that I happened to be using, and immediately wiping it off. I know it sounds awful, but it really gave it the yellowed look of age that I wanted. I did this before hanging the wallpaper and it dried reasonably flat. I use a lot of "distressing" techniques, and I don't worry too much about it causing damage, because damage is what makes it look real. But I do recommend trying anyhing on a scrap first. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018, 11:24:43, Elsbeth said:

I am thinking about using some blue and white wallpaper in a kitchen. But I would like a more used/weathered look. What would you do to make white wallpaper appear older?

Chalk? I first thought I might put some tea on it, but then I realized it would warp/wrinkle...any suggestions welcome. 

Elsbeth, I haven't read this whole thread yet, so forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but when I age my junk journals (life size) I sand the paper and then use distressing inks like Tim Holtz  using the Old Photo one they make..  that is mostly on the edges of paper but you could do the same thing if you use a very light hand, on the flat paper. It is scary at first, but practice on scrap paper till you get the feel of how you want it :) ..they  (Tim Holtz) also have one called Black Soot which would be Perfect! for around a stove pipe. 

On 1/22/2018, 2:24:13, havanaholly said:

Damp tea bags?  Used coffee grounds?

coffee grounds is a good idea. They use them to age paper for junk journals. Holly you just reminded me of this :)   I just used a cup of coffee or two, poured it into a flat pan and placed the paper in it then took right out and layed it on some towels.  Yes it will crinkle a little but that just helps it look more aged and you can smooth it out when you glue it to the walls. I am going to start using double stick tape sometimes.  anyway,  I also took my fingers and splashed it again and smeared some coffee grounds here and there on it. works great!  Pastels work great also if the wallpaper is already up and you want to keep it dry. Or the distressing inks are actually pretty dry also.  I am hoping to do a real shabby house one day and think I will do the wallpaper in the coffee thing for mine.