Quality upholstered furniture that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

IndyCindy

Can anyone suggest specific brands of quality pieces of upholstered furniture that are also affordable? Mid-range maybe? I'm not looking for "economy" furniture, but it seems like everything I find is either beyond my budget (Bespaq, which also seems very hard to get, should I choose to splurge) or really inexpensive and of a quality to match. Surely there are some nice pieces out there I'm missing. I'm specifically looking for a nice sofa/chair set, preferably Victorian. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I have to give a vote to Meirucorp. It's what I consider "mid range" luxury, nice, but not always bank breaking, you're paying a bit more than say a dollar store couch but you're getting some nice detail and quality. Little lower than Bespaq but still nice.

There are so many good tutorials out there on the internet, and I'm rather fond of this book:  https://www.amazon.com/Making-Upholstered-Furniture-12-Scale/dp/1861083017  The best thing for me is that my upholstered furniture is free,  since I have amassed an interesting stash of fabrics & neckties.

What kind of furniture specifically? Chair? Sofa? And what style are you looking for?

Mid range finished furniture would be around 25-50 for a chair, 30-60 for a setee. My sugestion would be Town Square Miniatures or Bespaq, specially if you can find their items on sale it's a pretty good deal. I'm not much of a fan of Meirucorp, I personaly don't like the finish on their items but I know a few local miniaturists who repaint those into really wonderful pieces. Sofas without wood components would be cheaper I imagine, but you can also make them yourself with some fabric, cardboard and foam, there are several tutorials online for this sort of furniture. I usually find good deals on used items, and in good condition too so it's another option to consider. 

• Like 1

I would watch eBay for the old Concord line of furniture.  They made some great stuff in the 70s - 80s.  I believe they also had a higher end range of items, but were then, and still are in the mid range of pricing.  Some of their items I have rival some Town Square and Bespaq items!

Here is a club chair with a but it now price of $6.60!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Concord-Miniatures-Dollhouse-Furniture-Velvet-Lawson-Club-Chair-2750/183037309031?hash=item2a9ddfb067:g:C-QAAOSw-RFaYXAN

• Like 2

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! Once I started looking around on Ebay, I realized that Bespaq had many pieces that were new and being sold as "buy it now" directly from the company. The prices seemed reasonable and I found exactly what I was seeking! 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2018, 3:25:58, madtex1967 said:

I would watch eBay for the old Concord line of furniture.  They made some great stuff in the 70s - 80s.  I believe they also had a higher end range of items, but were then, and still are in the mid range of pricing.  Some of their items I have rival some Town Square and Bespaq items!

Here is a club chair with a but it now price of $6.60!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Concord-Miniatures-Dollhouse-Furniture-Velvet-Lawson-Club-Chair-2750/183037309031?hash=item2a9ddfb067:g:C-QAAOSw-RFaYXAN

Thanks for the advice on Concord. I found a brass bed on Ebay I didn't know I needed - but that I definitely needed. :) I have one older Concord piece and the quality is nice; I hadn't even thought of them in ages until I read your post.

After reading this thread, decided I needed to at least look at better quality furniture.  Before, I wouldn't even look for it as I assumed it was so far out of my comfort range in cost.  Just received furniture (bought on Ebay) that looks like some of the pieces really are Bespaq and even a Wickerville (Marie Terrones) settee and table.  Posted a pick of the furniture in my Beacon Hill album.

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thriftymini said:

After reading this thread, decided I needed to at least look at better quality furniture.  Before, I wouldn't even look for it as I assumed it was so far out of my comfort range in cost.  Just received furniture (bought on Ebay) that looks like some of the pieces really are Bespaq and even a Wickerville (Marie Terrones) settee and table.  Posted a pick of the furniture in my Beacon Hill album.

I'd say you definitely got a deal, looks like several are Bespaq!

1 hour ago, thriftymini said:

To be honest I think mid range is often the better deal compared to 'low cost' furniture, which in my opinion is usually overpriced for the quality. I'd rather invest a few extra bucks on a piece with better construction or a barewood piece to customize. I've recently bought a Bourbon bedroom set from Town Square Miniatures for less than 200 bucks, it was a really good promotional deal considering the bed alone would be over 100. Sometimes Bespaq also has this kind of deals, so it's always nice to save a little and check their bargain offers.

I've been shocked and delighted at how inexpensive some Bespaq pieces are on Ebay from Bespaq Direct's store. I was honestly a little anti-Ebay because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of bidding and the looming disappointment of being outbid, but everything from Bespaq Direct is buy it now. Their shipping was reasonable and my furniture came really, really quickly. I didn't know it was possible to get a Bespaq sofa for $19.99 and a vanity for $11.99!!!!! The best part? They look even better in person!!!!

sofa.jpg

vanity.jpg

• Like 1