Ebay - Bodo Hennig Stove and how to get it cheap...

Soapz

Good morning all,

I spent the last few days trying to catch up with the forum - so many new members: Welcome to all of you! Haven't been around too much due to real life, but things are getting less time consuming, so: back to the minis it is!

I've been to the gallery and i saw that the stove Beulah put in her Glenwood and that members really liked it. So I thought I share how I got mine (as in plural) for cheap from ebay. I have managed to get several through ebay.de - that is the "German" ebay. In the US on ebay.com they are often sold as "Gesezlich geschutzt" which means nothing more than 'legally protected - patented' and they charge way too much for them, as can be seen here:

Stove on ebay.com

Now, if you go to the German version of ebay: ebay.de and search for either the manufacturer name "Bodo hennig" or use google translator to translate that to the German "herd" you'll find cheaper ones - ranging around $25 to $35. Now, most sellers there have "kein versand nach " - meaning "not sending to" the US - but if you messaged them, most will ship to the US which costs usually around $10 to $13. Right now they have this one on ebay.de - which is on the higher end - but I check on the German ebay site as often as on the US site.

"Herd" on ebay.de

Here is the main site for dollhouse things on the German ebay:

ebay - dollhouse main page

and this is the page that comes up if you use "herd" (stove) as the search term:

ebay.de dollhouse stoves - there are some really nice ones on there that I haven't seen on the US site. 

We do have German members-  I am one of them - so, if you ask any of us, I'm sure we can help you find and/or buy off that site with no problems. You still have paypal buyer protection and all that good stuff, so it shouldn't be an issue. Postage from Germany to the US is actually a lot cheaper than the other way around, and I have found some really cool stuff. 

I hope this helps someone here,

Chris

P.S. I do the same thing with ebay.fr (French), ebay.co.uk (British), ebay.es (Spanish), ebay.it (Italy), ebay.be (Belgium) on occasion, especially if one the artists I look for is located in one of those countries.

• Like 1

Very nice tip Chris, thanks a lot for sharing. Another thing that I found lately about international issues is that when we need something retired or not available anymore here, some stores outside the US might have them in stock still. The hard thing is finding those stores. I recently found one in Holland that has lots of 1:144 scale North Eastern Scale kits that I was looking for. It was a very nice surprise. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Soapz said:

Y'all might want to think about searching for Minimundus and Reutter on ebay - should be cheaper as they are manufactured there.

Not really, as I used to get my Mini Mundus kits from Dolls' House Emporium.  There are times I despise being on a retirement income!

Thank you for the info Chris.

1 hour ago, Soapz said:

We do have German members-  I am one of them - so, if you ask any of us, I'm sure we can help you find and/or buy off that site with no problems. You still have paypal buyer protection and all that good stuff, so it shouldn't be an issue. Postage from Germany to the US is actually a lot cheaper than the other way around, and I have found some really cool stuff. 

If you ever want something from over here, just ask. I'm sure something can be arranged. (OOh, I sound like the Godfather)

• Like 3

Fantastic info, Chris. Thanks! I usually go on the UK site when I'm looking for stoves. Sometimes they have stuff on that site they don't have on the US site. I just never thought to check any other site, though. Oh, wow. This is going to be like having four or five new eBays to look through. I don't know if my heart can take that! Or my pocketbook. Holly, I'm so with you on the retirement check thing.

By the way, most of you are aware of this but for those who aren't, that particular stove is also made in wood, but I don't know by whom. It's also a much cheaper stove. So if you see one for a very cheap price and you want the metal one by Bodo Hennig, make sure it's the real thing. They look very much alike.

• Like 2

100.00.  Wow.  I didn't pay that much.  And didn' even know what I have.  Mine is heavier than most furniture.  Sweet!!  And yes Holly.  We are goi by to have a play date, lol.  IF we ever get out of this state.  I'm So ready to move.   The mini trips are wearing me out.  So far haven't found the right house.   Might have to expand out of Ocean Springs.   I'll be good as long as we are not too far from VA hosp. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would share our experience with ordering items on the German Ebay.  We had two shipments from one seller who ships internationally:  One package arrived within a week and the second package (shipped same day) arrived within two weeks.

The same day we ordered items from a seller who does not ship internationally.  It shows the item(s) have been shipped to our daughter who lives in Germany, but were given no tracking number.  So far, daughter has not received the items.  It has been slower than the items shipped internationally.

From our experience, I prefer to order from those who ship internationally on the German Ebay.  It is also less of a hassle for our daughter.  If she is not home to accept the package, it is left with a random neighbor and even after living in Germany for a few years, she still finds it difficult to communicate with most of her neighbors.