The Garfield project

Thimble Hall

I am going to start working on  one of my Garfields soon and wondered who was at that point or close to it and .I wondered if we could support each other as we build them. If you are interested in joining let me know here. It is a big house and I think we all could benefit by the chance to work as a group.

Thank you , By the way please notice I have changed my forum name and picture

Jeannine

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thimble Hall said:

Sadly it appears to be on Facebook and I don't go on there, but thank you for suggestion

Gina's blog is on blogspot.com, not Facebook. Anyone can access it. You'll find it very helpful as she offers a very complete step-by-step record, including pitfalls to watch out for. 

I just did that and got a pop up telling me to sign onto FB; at the bottom of the pop up is a "not now" option button that I clicked on and it let me read Gina's blog without problems.  I'm not ready to start my Garfield right now, I do intend to see what Gina did, and no way will I join Facebook (or any other "social" media site).  BTW, I have requested this topic be moved to the Greenleaf Dollhouse subforum with the other Greenleaf dollhouse builds.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sable said:

I think it’s so funny everytime you say this. I consider this forum a form of social media. 

me too! :)   The only difference is on FB you can choose who sees your posts, here everyone does.

Sheri, I found the directions, managed to open the Stapled together box and will attempt to scan them tonight, if you would privately message me with your email I will send them. It is quite a few pages so I will have to do it later, barn time now while it is light out.

• 2 weeks later...

I started my Garfield about 2 weeks ago. I have the foundation done and about 80% done on the stair cases. I have never done a dollhouse before and could also use some good tips and advice. I have 40 years of Building models and model railroading, so that helps me. I am the type of builder that does more than required (a curse, lol). I am building this for my granddaughter and I want it as perfect as possible. So far so good. I really enjoy this new found hobby. 

• Like 1

Scott, I use a lot of painter's tape because before I use the first drop of glue (Titebond, NEVER hot glue!) I dry fit things together, both to understand the instructions and to sand pieces and shave tabs & slots for a perfect fit, and to see what must be decorated before assembly because of access after it's glued together (I have had to take things apart more than once...).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I started the Garfield about 8 years ago and then we had a baby and I just picked it back up again in February.  I've finished the foundation and the main staircases and all the little pieces like the fireplaces, stairs, chimney, etc.  Dry-fitting before gluing is extremely important as the machine cuts are a little off sometimes.  Having some blocks or something that has accurate 90 degree angles is helpful.  I've been using leftover 4x4 travertine floor tiles.  I keep a Dremel handy with a 180 grit sandpaper attachment in case something needs a little more intense sanding.  Also planning how you are going to clamp something before you glue it is a good idea.  The "Gina's blog" mentioned above has some great suggestions and lots of helpful photos.  I really like her idea of dry fitting all the walls and staircases and papering them before you do the final gluing as the front rooms will be very difficult to get to once everything is glued in place.  My wife will be picking out the wallpaper and flooring so I have to wait to see what she wants.  I bought a Cir-Kit tape lighting kit and plan to install the lighting as i go along as well.

IMG_1846.jpg

Edited by martincheck
typo
  • Like 1

Louis, my hubs bought me a Garfield kit recently.  If I live long enough to build it I will certainly want to use your photos for guidance.  Are you making a building album in the Gallery here?

• Like 1

I never realized the Garfield is the Piecre with the extra two rooms on the right side.  I've had to move my Piecre upside down and on it's sides to paint it (it was never primed when I got it). I don't know how you would do that with the Garfield. I know why it has to be done as your building it! That's a BIG house

39 minutes ago, Mineejv said:

I never realized the Garfield is the Piecre with the extra two rooms on the right side.

Dang, I never noticed this similarity either! It is what I am planning to do with my Pierce/Bohemian Inn, add two rooms on the right. I've saved the photo to use as a guide when I begin the bash. Thanks for pointing it out. :) 

Hi Jeannine, I started my garfield a long time age but because of family commitments it came to a stop. I would like to keep up to you and chat about it if you like.

1.I have made my base floor and have made the timber floor boards to go over it.

2. I have painted , wallpapered , made the curtains put in the windows of course,   But.

3. I have come to the electrics, and a stop. I have asked my husband to help me. But  he would like to just wire it and I had planned to use the copper tape method and put it behind the fireplaces.

I am now not sure what to choose?    Can anyone help me by making sugestions?

Thank You Dianne A.

6 hours ago, Dianne A said:

I have come to the electrics, and a stop. I have asked my husband to help me. But  he would like to just wire it and I had planned to use the copper tape method and put it behind the fireplaces.

It's not hard to hide wire. If your husband is willing to help, I suggest forgetting the copper tape and letting him do his thing. You can run wire up corners, hide it behind baseboards and ceiling trim, in grooves cut into the walls, behind cardboard templates, under flooring -- all kinds of ways. 

• Like 1