Extruding Fimo - anyone do it?

Annagr

I want to make the fancy plaster wall panels and frames seen in French chateaux (Marie Antoinette's house). I thought that extruding Fimo to make the strips for the frames and
using the molds to make the fancy plaster work. Has anyone done this? How did it turn out?

I couldn't get the polymer clay soft enough for my arthritic hands & wrists to work it through the extruder.  I got some large pastry tips and I'm going to see what happens with using spackle or joint compound for that purpose.  I hope you  find a few minutes to post us an introduction in the Newcomers' Forum.

I have done it with those weird little extruders they sell that look like miniature cookie presses.  Mine is not an expensive one but works fine, it is a screw top so if you have a hard time just put a pair of pliers on the top to give you more leverage.  This is about what mine looks like here   You do have to spend some time working with the clay to soften it sometimes depending on where you get it.

Anna, thank you for posting this.  This forum always reminds me of just how “green” I am when it comes to the craft world (but in a good way).  Did a quick google search of fimo and polymer clay.  First thing I see is there is a polymer clay superstore....of course there is....did a little looking around and now I’m intrigued.    

• Like 1

Hi Wycked Wood

I have not got any molds yet but have looked at the ones they sell for sugar work. The ones they use to mold sugar paste for wedding cakes and the like. Apparently they work for polymer clay as well - so I'm told. There are lots of ornate styles just like would be in a Marie Antoinette room.

4 hours ago, Annagr said:

Hi Wycked Wood

I have not got any molds yet but have looked at the ones they sell for sugar work. The ones they use to mold sugar paste for wedding cakes and the like. Apparently they work for polymer clay as well - so I'm told. There are lots of ornate styles just like would be in a Marie Antoinette room.

those do work and they work great with air dry clay, you can buy it at walmart, I soften my polymer clay with a pasta maker just put it on a thin setting and roll it out like pasta!  I had some old sculpt that had dried out so I used baby oil to bring it back and the pasta machine (hand crank type you can get that at walmart too for about 20 bucks) remember anything you use for clay you can never use to cook with.