Bespaq stain colors

IndyCindy

Okay, dear mini/Bespaq experts, here is my question. Are Bespaq stains consistent? In other words, if I bought a table last year that was considered "mahogany" and I order chairs online today to go with it that are also mahogany, will they match? Also, with Bespaq, is there a noticeable different between walnut and new walnut? Buying mini furniture has suddenly become more complicated that buying the real life stuff! :) 

The colours *should* be the same. I have never had problems matching the Bespaq colours but I guess there is a slight chance that there could be a difference. And I also think walnut and new walnut are the same. I think years ago it was just ‘walnut’ and now they call it ‘new walnut’. But I could be wrong. There are occasionally other stain colours but I think they are generally in the older pieces.

Having almost 800 pieces of Bespaq furniture in 1", 1/2" and 1/4" scales in my collection, I can tell you there is no consistency.   Mahogany can vary from very dark to red-like.  If the pieces are from the same set they should match but no guarantee.  I have a nine-piece parlor set in Mahogany that I had only be able to find as separate pieces and it has taken several purchases of the same pieces to get a matched set.  There is definitely a difference between Walnut and New Walnut and the New Walnut has two versions both in 1" and 1/2" which I have fallen victim to.  There is also a Fruitwood stain that can be found on older pieces.  I don't buy the Walnut or Fruitwood pieces just personal taste. I love the stuff but it can be frustrating in more ways than one.

• Like 1

As Valerie said, stains aren't very consistent when comparing products produced several years appart. Older Mahogany colors can range from very dark to bright red, same as with walnut. In fact they used to make several pieces in "old walnut" stain and these days they mostly use "new walnut" finish which is a lot lighter. But despite that mix and matching is still possible, I personaly like a bit of color variation as in real size furniture, looks more realistic. 

Also their current walnut color looks to me a bit more like a color in between cherry and teak, if you want to stain a piece of furniture to match that you might need to add a bit of a reddish hue. The way I mix stains to match current bespaq colors is: with a base of oak I add mahogany (red) for the "mahogany finish", and to a base of teak I add a mix of cherry to get the "new walnut" finish. 

• 1 year later...