Herringbone floor

stickyfingers

Just checking in to get opinions. I'm making a herringbone floor for the living room in the yellow house. I found craft sticks that had a lovely color and grain, so cut them all up and did a mockup on the template. Before I go any further, what do you think of the scale? The sticks are 5/8" wide. I'm worried that they're a hair too wide. Other flooring on that side of the house is 1/4" plank flooring sheets. I took pictures with the furniture I plan to use, as well as just roughly laid out *in* the house. Be honest.

myst lr floor.jpg

• Like 3

I love this pattern in flooring and the scale is just fine, I'm using that size craft sticks for a ceilling on a 1:12 house right now. Both half and quarter inch work for this scale, depends on what look you're going for. I use 1/4 when I'm doing 'parket' style floors but for 'floorboards' I prefer 1/2 inch wide. If you plan on staining them do it before gluing, often these have 'reaction wood' and some might not stain evenly. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much!

I got a wild hair yesterday and cut up some flooring sheets to use on the top floor. I'm going to do a similar pattern as the living room. The top floor on that side has the master bedroom and the small tower room, with a decent sized hall connecting them. I wanted the flooring to all be the same, and flow together, rather than separate flooring for each room. To use flooring sheets, I would need to piece them together both width-wise, and a small piece lengthwise. I had decided I was OK with that, and ordered some flooring off of ebay. Well, flooring came while I was working on this floor, and decided it would be way more interesting to cut it up and make a patterned floor, rather than this huge expanse of straight planks. I like it! I'm half tempted to do the same floor for the living room, rather than use the craft sticks, but I do really like the grain on those sticks, and think the larger pattern might make for nice contrast. Who knows? Still cutting wood!  

myst floor.jpg

• Like 2

I love watching your progress. I LOVE your parquet!

I have gotten interested in french style parquet since reading Lea Frisoni's book (christmas gift!) - and I am going to attempt some version of the Versailles parquet pattern...in 1:48 scale! In her book she has instructions on how to do it - and it looks meticulous but fun. 

Here's her version:

789e87725a4a300b52987d579c3619a8.jpg

Here is the real pattern:

panels-parquet-de-versailles-1226051129.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2018, 9:10:13, stickyfingers said:

Thanks so much!

I got a wild hair yesterday and cut up some flooring sheets to use on the top floor. I'm going to do a similar pattern as the living room. The top floor on that side has the master bedroom and the small tower room, with a decent sized hall connecting them. I wanted the flooring to all be the same, and flow together, rather than separate flooring for each room. To use flooring sheets, I would need to piece them together both width-wise, and a small piece lengthwise. I had decided I was OK with that, and ordered some flooring off of ebay. Well, flooring came while I was working on this floor, and decided it would be way more interesting to cut it up and make a patterned floor, rather than this huge expanse of straight planks. I like it! I'm half tempted to do the same floor for the living room, rather than use the craft sticks, but I do really like the grain on those sticks, and think the larger pattern might make for nice contrast. Who knows? Still cutting wood!  

The grain looks awesome in your sticks.

• Like 1

Jenn, that book has been a huge influence on me. I'm half tempted to paint the whole living room a shade of white. The plan keeps evolving in my head, and as difference pieces come and go. I love the look of her work, but I'm not very good at dirtying things up, and that's part of what makes her rooms so special.   

2 hours ago, stickyfingers said:

Jenn, that book has been a huge influence on me. I'm half tempted to paint the whole living room a shade of white. The plan keeps evolving in my head, and as difference pieces come and go. I love the look of her work, but I'm not very good at dirtying things up, and that's part of what makes her rooms so special.   

I agree --her work relies on good distressing of wood and "plaster". I'm giving it a go but it IS hard! I love her rooms tho!!