Stress

Peachie

Anyone have any suggestion on dealing with stress? The dr. told me yesterday that I'm under too much stress......I know working on the minis has helped.....I've done everything I know but nothing seems to be helping.... :)

I've heard metitating is real good, it didn't work for me, I couldn't relax enough. I find writing helps the most. Kyodai (a game you can get online) is great also. I guess it would be because you have to concentrate on what you are doing with these things that is the most calming. Minis are nice, but it gives you time to think and that's what you need to get away from. Posting here is good also, because someone is always there who understands and can make good suggestions. I own a business, so I can understand stress! Good luck.

Hi Ellen!

Oh dear, you have my sympathy! I'm going to give you some suggestions which I gleaned from experience -- I suffered not only from situational anxiety and stress but have also suffered from acute clinical depression all of my life.

These are some things I found to relieve stress or anxiety (have yet to find anything to relieve depression :banana: )

One of the best stress relievers is exercise -- long walks, yoga, swimming, -- it increases certain chemicals in the brain which in turn give you a sense of calm.

I always found music to be a relaxor -- anything by Beethoven is my first choice, but I used Copeland's "Appalachian Suite" a lot to relax with. And sometimes just belting out along with rock n roll helped.

The other thing to identify what is causing the stress and to determine whether you can in any way control it...for instance, housework was always a problem for me because I worked 50-60 hours each and every week and worked almost every weekend. My solution was to hire a cleaning service and I had one less thing to stress over and a clean house to come home to.

Also try to concentrate on the things you can control and deal with those. Try not to anticipate problems (what I call "borrowing trouble").

And talk to us -- sometimes just 'venting' helps you out.

Good luck with it and keep us posted. In turn, I'll keep you in my prayers.

Thank you for the advise.....I know what its like to be depressed....been there.....I listen to Beethoven alot....and a few more.....I know one of things that is causing it....I never get anytime for myself.....so starting tomorrow....I will take a half hour a day and meditate.....

Thank you for your support..... :banana:

We are watching the forest fire it is getting close to my home......and the wind isn't helping at all....

If your neighborhood is not to crowded, or if so, you can get in your car with the windows up---just go outside and scream at the top of your lungs, then sit down and cry.

Try one of those stress balls, that you can squeeze and throw.

If your neighborhood is not to crowded, or if so, you can get in your car with the windows up---just go outside and scream at the top of your lungs, then sit down and cry.

Try one of those stress balls, that you can squeeze and throw.

Or if you're worried about the neighbors, just scream into a pillow.

Kick the kids out? Aren't they old enough yet?

OK, OK, but it really was much less stressful when the oldest moved out!

Now, down to business.

Ways to combat stress/depression:

1. Exercise. Go for walks, preferably, and be sure and look at God's beauty. The trees are gorgeous right now. Be sure to take time to look around as you walk.

2. Smile at everyone you meet, and greet them if you feel able. Don't worry about if they smile back or greet you back, just do it.

3. Every day find at least one thing to be thankful for. More if you can. Even if the only thing that you are thankful for is that you woke up, then say thanks for that.

4. Take time to notice the little things. Especially the little things that people do for you, like a co-worker leaving you a note saying have a nice weekend, or your hubby/significant other loaded the dishwasher for you. And then take the time to tell them thanks for whatever it was they did.

5. Drink lots of water. I drink a 32 oz cup in the morn, and a 32 oz cup in the evening. Don't know what that does, but you can laugh when you figure out that my advice made you go to the bathroom for an hour after drinking that cup of water. No really, water has lots of medicinal purposes to it.

6. When depressed or stressed, do NOT drink alcohol. It makes it worse.

Anybody got anything else to add?

Stress reliever #1 that works for me is what a clinical psychologist taught us to do when I took his class when I worked at FL State Hospital: guided imagery. You sit down in a quiet, unlighted room, lay back in the chair, close your eyes and visualize in your mind the most relaxing scene you can think or (beach, autumn woods, mountain lakeside, whatever) and then wander around in there enjoying all the lovely things you see there and enjoying all the fun things there are to do.

I can also detox from stress reading; trashy romance novels are wonderful mindless escapism, I prefer mysteries (Diane Mott Davidson writes culinary mysteries, so I 'suage two needs). Needlework also works. Fantasize. Play.

I too have clinical depression and I am a worry wart!

Listening to public radio really helps me...Beethoven, Bach, Vivaldi...violins really cool me down. Even NPR can make you de-stress...They start talking and some of them have really soothing voices.

Imagining like holly said is good too. When I cant sleep cause my brain is on fast forward, I like to close my eyes and imagine a nice quiet New England snow fall. Usually puts me right to sleep!

If you like to cook (like I do) that helps too. I dont know why but it seperates you from your problems for awhile because you have to pay attention to the recipe. That is one reason why I do alot of home made baking and cooking...saves money, family is happy, and I get to beat the living you know what out of some dough!

Ellen, take time out for just you. Forget about what others expect of you and just do something for you. Whether it is buying yourself a new outfit (shopping always makes me feel a hundred times better.) or just going for a walk.

YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOU!!

YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOU!!

Wendy, this is what it boils down to for me. I worry all of the time about "what if's" and I notice I do it more when I am not taking care of ME and worried about everyone else. When I don't work out like I should I feel the stress because I no longer feel as healthy and I usually don't workout when I have been stressing on things pertaining to others.

Especially when we are a Mom, we forget about ourselves. Holly, I Love to read the trashy love stories too. I love to watch musicals (Phantom of the opera, Evita, Carmen Jones ) or black & white movies. Really stress kills so find what works for you. I must say dollhouse building has saved me too. It feels wonderful to turn that negative energy from stress into a beautiful dollhouse.

Oh me too, Tracy. I know my DH expects me to be the perfect wife, always smiling, the kids expect us to always be there and g/kids want our undivided attention. And then, there is work. Sometimes it's so easy to just forget that you need to be you and looking after you is most important. After all, without you, what would everyone else do???

Two things have helped me and I do them daily.

1- a vitamin called SAM-e (prounounced sammy), an amino acid. Has helped ALL depression. I am able to be clear off of prescription due to taking 400 mg. a day. It has worked over a year now. I've had diagnosed bouts of depression for 16 years.

2- every morning I start my day with prayer and meditation.

I get a cup of coffee and a big dog bone and go out onto the back (covered) porch. Break the bone in half and give to Shadow. I "think" my prayers towards the tree tops. First requests and last thank you's.

God bless [my sons, my friends on the computer, my friend's husband in Iraq]. Thank you for [ home, husband, etc] Then I give her the second half of her dog bone and sit quietly.

I believe that prayer is talking to God and meditation is listening, so sitting and letting my mind go any direction it wants without fighting it. I think about things I want to do, need to do, situations at hand, just sit quietly looking towards the heavens.

Just taking this little amount of time changes things from struggle to gratitude. I call it an Attitude Adjustment. Works for me!

try yoga. The breathing and positions force you to tune out and focus only on those things. It switches thought patterns like zen. Also you get the endorphin rush. As a bonus you feel accomplishment when you can be just a little more flexible than you were yesterday. That will give you a sense of control. Hope this helps.

My Dr had some suggestions for my stress - Yoga was high on his list and so was walking - just going for a walk around the block every day - he jogs every evening for his stress and he claimes it helps a Lot! Also cutting back on caffine - yea like I'm gonna switch to decaf hehehe - sorry bout that but I Love my coffee - I do though try to drink hot tea rather than increase how much coffee I drink in the winter months - But the best thing I've found so far is camping. I know that's not an option for most people but just to spend 2 days out away from the house with no telephone and no computer (and very limitted television) seems to really do the trick for me - no electronics just lots of time to listen to the birds chirp, go for walks and spend time with the kid playing cards or board games. I come back like a new man :D ... actually.. kinda makes me wish I could live in my trailer :thumb: :yes:

-David

Thanks for all the advice......I've took 30 minutes for myself today and it felt good.....plus I did some of the other things also.....I will continue doing them until I find the ones that help me.....You are such nice people...... :thumb:.....my dr. suggested I take a weeks vacation but thats not possible.....I have no one to stay with my mom.....

Thank you for the advise.....I know what its like to be depressed....been there.....I listen to Beethoven alot....and a few more.....I know one of things that is causing it....I never get anytime for myself.....so starting tomorrow....I will take a half hour a day and meditate.....

Thank you for your support..... :thumb:

We are watching the forest fire it is getting close to my home......and the wind isn't helping at all....

I hope you are okay, forest fires are scary, we had one here a few years ago... burned within a few blocks of us, which is unusual, I am close to the mountians, but the fires dont usually get down this far, they did that year..... once agian I hope you and your family are okay. Stress....my son seems to find writing in a journal helpful... he adds pictures, kinda like from the movie "Cruel Intentions" what ever works for each individual I guess.. as for me, I have tried meditation, shopping (that dosent work at all), and wolfing down a whole bag of cookies, I have found what seems to work the best for me is a walk, to really listen to the sounds around me, to tune into other things except for what is bugging me... listening to the birds, trees... I even have my sister doing it.. it is pretty cool. Anyhow, once again, I do hope you are well.

Karen

Hi Ellen...I find that when I get stressed, it helps to just stop for a moment or two and take a couple of deep breaths....I try to visualize that with each breath I release, I am blowing the stress from my body...It also helps to remember that whatever is stressing you out now...won't last forever!

That is true...it can't last forever....they got the fire contained in the wee hours of the morning....Thank

God.....it was scary......I was told today whatever is stressing me out...get it off my chest.....so I've decided to take care of me....not worry about everybody else.....thank you....I needed the support.... :D

One of the in-training days we spent beofre school started was about stress management and how to get o ut of the loop of stressing around. One of the things the man who was talking couldn't emphazise enough was that you need to see to that YOU are OK befor eyou can help anyone else.

It took a while for that to start sinking in, but I do think that he was on to something there, because of you can't allow yourself the time to sort things through mentally and make your priorities you won't be able to meet the challenges one meat everyday...

So a big yes to taking the time for yourself! :D

Hugs

Ellen -- So glad the fire is contained and you're safe -- one less thing for you to worry about. Luckily we haven't had any fires around here since late spring. One of my personal fears is fire -- I'm like one of the deer in the woods with fire -- just want out! Can't imagine how awful it would be having a forest fire creep closer and closer to your home and I'm sure this was contributing to your anxiety.