Creatin' Contest 2017

3 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

I can wait to see the winners, because the honorable mentions are spectacular!

No kidding!  I can't believe these were only runners-up.  They were amazing.  I am particularly fond of the horticultural library, but they were all delightful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debsrand56 said:

No kidding!  I can't believe these were only runners-up.  They were amazing.  I am particularly fond of the horticultural library, but they were all delightful.

Me too.....such a unique idea.

I particularly love the horticultural library as well. :) 

But all the entries are wonderful. That writers retreat really shows off modern miniature design. So great! 

The 2nd photo of the garage interior of the grand prize winner could have passed as real.  The exposed weathered 2x4’s were insanely real looking!

as my tastes tend to run more contemporary/modern, I liked the Belmont. 

• Like 2

Love that they post ALL of the entries now! So fun to look at...  and I'm very excited to start my idea for 2018 -- things will settle down after our move and home sale, then I can settle in and start working.  I read somewhere that the next build is no longer the "thank you" prize for all entrants. Has anyone here submitted entries recently who could enlighten me as to what the "thank you" prize consists of now? It's still mentioned on their website, so I'm wondering what they do now?

I love this little cottage that is the grand prize winner but I have a little problem with it being completely unrecognizable as the kit. I assume the reason Miniatures.com/HBS runs these contests is to generate interest in their products by showing you what you can do with them, and I don't see how this shows a newcomer anything other than confusion. It's gorgeous, but I would still like to be able to recognise the kit. It seems to me that's the spirit of the competition, to re-imagine it whilst it is still recognisable?? Meh, what would I know, it was good enough for the judges lol.. Just my humble opinion. :) 

10 minutes ago, Samusa said:

I love this little cottage that is the grand prize winner but I have a little problem with it being completely unrecognizable as the kit. 

I totally get what you're saying.   However, the contest rules do say you can add on or modify the basic kit.  They encourage "imagination," and this build definitely had it!  I think they also encourage use of items that they sell, and I suspect that this build did that as well.

1 hour ago, Samusa said:

I have a little problem with it being completely unrecognizable as the kit.

I can easily see the bones of the kit in it. "Creative" is the name of the contest. The bash is brilliant! :clap: 

Just now, havanaholly said:

I see they now allow entrants more than three pictures.

The rules call for no more than four 4x6 photos. They may request additional photos from the winners.

I totally agree with the alteration comments, it does say you can but I was surprised as it was unrecognized as being the original. The rules don't give any guidelines as to how much alteration you nan make so it confused me..eg could you buy two and join them ? However I have to say t was very very nice entry..

I could never enter but I did think of doing it for me just to see what I could do but the size kept putting me off, the additions would make a huge differ.ence

9 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

could you buy two and join them ?

I joined two Adams kits to make Marie Laveau's Creole cottage for the 15th annual contest and won 2nd Place.  See it here. (Click through about 10 times.)

Really, as long as the contest kit is used as a base, anything goes.  And I don't understand those who say they can't see the kit in the winning entry. All 3 gables very obvious to me, and I think the curved segment of roofing is a brilliant touch.

• Like 1