Creatin' Contest 2017

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

I joined two Adams kits to make Marie Laveau's Creole cottage for the 15th annual contest and won 2nd Place.  See it here. (Click through about 10 times.)

Really, as long as the contest kit is used as a base, anything goes.  And I don't understand those who say they can't see the kit in the winning entry. All 3 gables very obvious to me, and I think the curved segment of roofing is a brilliant touch.

I love anything to do with Marie Laveau .....going to look now.

Thanks Mineejv! That's not bad - a significant discount off the next build - especially if you wait until one of their big sales...  Actually, since their contest pieces have increased in cost, it's essentially par with the prize value from when they DID send the next kit, really -- they also save S&H and you're not boxed in to the next build with a gift certificate.

I recall the first time I entered, I think my build WAS too far bashed...  essentially I broke the house in half and used the two halves to create a dark ride facade. You couldn't even tell it was ever a free standing dollhouse!  I think THAT was going a bit too far... but if you look back in the archives, especially when the contest piece was just a room box, people go seriously out of the box - one of my favorites is still the archaeology dig someone did in one of their first years doing this. Talk about deconstructing the build!!

It does make me think how easy it would be for an immoral person to use any closely designed building and repurpose it. I know I have several partially built contest pieces lying around.  But I'd never build them out to resemble a new contest piece to avoid buying it. I might make it a first level or an expansion piece - I don't think that's any different than like when I did the stick built house off the butterfly conservatory.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Qubanqtee said:

I love anything to do with Marie Laveau .....going to look now.

See more on my blog here. If you want to read it in chronological order, scroll to the bottom and then work your way up.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Thimble Hall said:

I totally agree with the alteration comments, it does say you can but I was surprised as it was unrecognized as being the original. The rules don't give any guidelines as to how much alteration you nan make so it confused me..eg could you buy two and join them ? However I have to say t was very very nice entry..

I could never enter but I did think of doing it for me just to see what I could do but the size kept putting me off, the additions would make a huge differ.ence

I am sure that in contests past, one of the requirements was that the kit was still recognizable in the final piece.

And yes, the kits get bigger and my display space gets smaller!!

Thank you for the answers to m y question. When I look closer of course I can see the house there but at first glance I couldn't and I was eager to see them all so I didn't take the time.

I guess it is just the fun of doing it but realistically when I come down to earth I have far too many house kits stashed already. I was going to buy it and spend my bonus points but was searching the site to find some things to up the sale to the required $75 to use them and I left them it in  my basket overnight but when I went back the next morning to finish shopping, which I did, at the checkout I found  had lost the  bonus points. overnight ....hesitation is loss so they say

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

...Wolfie's, ...She also made KathieB's Marie Laveau doll, I believe.

Wolfie made both Marie Laveau and her daughter (also Marie Laveau) as well as the beautiful Sophia, who is coming to visit Marie Laveau for some gris gris. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

That archeological dig was Wolfie's, sh made the Richaard Leakey doll in it, 

I think you're confusing a couple different builds. I believe Wolfie made the Richard Leakey doll for our Ann (Instrinsicat?); she did not make the dig. It was made by Anna Harkey. Can someone verify this, or are both Holly and I hopelessly befuddled?

1 hour ago, Intrinsicat said:

Ah!  Here is a link to it...  you can see by the original kit it's nothing remotely resembling it! :D

https://www.miniatures.com/Webpage.aspx?WebpageId=%201844

If you look carefully at the rear views, the bones of original kit are quite apparent. 

The judges are not looking for cookie cutter renditions. The operative word in the content name is Creatin'. Creativity knows no bounds. :D 

3 hours ago, KathieB said:

...Wolfie made the Richard Leakey doll for our Ann (Instrinsicat?); she did not make the dig. It was made by Anna Harkey. Can someone verify this, or are both Holly and I hopelessly befuddled?...

I know I am!  I knew that Richard Leakey doll was Gina's and that she passed it on to Ann (I assume it's the same doll, I don't recall her making two).