Dura Craft Ashley

WC

Hello Everyone,

I just posted my introduction in the new member introduction forum.  I hope this is the right place to ask some questions.  Just yesterday I bought (rescued) an already built dollhouse from my local antiques mall.  I have identified it as a Dura Craft Ashley.  The exterior is finished with a very sloppy paint job.  There are parts that didn't get any paint and loads of paint drips and globs.  Can I just sand it a bit and then repaint ?  I have no idea what kind of paint was used.  There are also glue dribbles ( several different kinds of glue based on the color).  Can I just sand those back a bit and paint over them?  Will paint even stick to those areas?  The interior was never finished so I can start from scratch with that.  There are some missing interior trim pieces, but I just plan to measure and see if I can locate some that will fit.  My biggest concern for the interior is the missing spiral staircase.  I can't  decide if I want to try to replace it somehow, if I want to install a regular staircase or just fix the opening in the upstairs floor and leave the staircase out.

This is my very first dollhouse rehab, so I'm sure I will have many more questions.

• Like 1

You can paint over glue, just can't stain.  Carefully sand with a ridged piece of board with sandpaper on it, so you don't over sand the part without paint or glue, the wood will sand away quicker then glue or old paint dribbles.  If you google miniature dollhouse spiral staircases you will get tons of places to help you find what you need or make it if you are that way inclined, the same places may have the trim you want.  

• Like 1

When doing rehabs, I usually try to scrape off old paint and glue drips with a heat gun.  Sometimes I have to resort to using paint remover.  I then sand and do a primer coat (lightly sand again) and then it should be ready to paint.  Every old house I've ever rehabbed was painted with house paint....and often with a gloss surface! blargh. Gloss is too much for a miniature- use a satin or semi-gloss.

• Like 1

If the builder used hot glue you may find joints loosening up.  Just use a bit of tacky glue or good wood glue to fix.  I had to re-glue many joints on my Van Buren.

I was in St Mary's antique mall a few years back and an abanded Ashley cried to me across the store.  Might sound strange, but they do call out to those that will give them love.  I only paid 7.50.  All the extra pieces were there.

Oh, before I forget, Menards has thin strip wood in bass wood and balsa.  It's usually over near the dremels. 

• Like 1